Confined [First Person Medieval RPG]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
stevend

Confined [First Person Medieval RPG]

Post by stevend »

Confined

http://confined.coderzilla.net

Summary
The game is called Confined. It is going to be a medival times Action RPG. It will feature a sweet soundtrack using intense metal break downs to set the mood. Different aspects of them game will make use of a physics engine. An in game map editor and Lua scripts will let you customize your game, plus much more.

Some Ideas:
The player is a mage among many other mages is the universe of confined. One thing is different though, you have the power of telekinesis.
You will start out weak, moving objects with your mind, running and jumping more agile than anyone else. As your level increases, you will be able to move objects more powerfully, and bigger objects as well. A maxed out player will be able to deroot trees, blast away large objects, etc. The amout of weight you can move may be a variable in how much damage you do to an enemy. There will also be spells and melee combat.

Technologies:
-Irrlicht
-IrrKlang
-IrrNewt
-IrrAI (planned)
-Newton Dynamics
-Lua
-More to come

Updates revision 0.4.1
- Cleaned up alot of redundant calls, should improve speed
- Added a loading screen for the main menu!
- Sneak Peak of Non Playable Characters:

Updates 0.4
- Scriptable objects are complete, although the external api is fairly limited, because i am waiting until i finish NPC's.

- You can now save the game with F11. When you save the game. your player data is saved, and the locations of all the objects are also saved.

- The main menu is now also more functional, and level loading system has been improved.

- You can now see all debug information of each model in the editor.

Currently Working On:
- Working on GUI elements such as hp and mp.
- Working on some scriptable API features
- Working on NPC's

http://confined.coderzilla.net

Here are some screenshots:
ImageImageImageImage

Latest Downloads:http://confined.coderzilla.net/index.php?page=downloads
Last edited by stevend on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 36 times in total.
stevend

Post by stevend »

I have finally found out why my application wasn't running on other systems. i now have a working build on confined for people to try.

It now features a gui, a console based level editor, and some other fancy-ness.

please read the readme! and please tell me what you think
Last edited by stevend on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
JP

Post by JP »

Oh IrrAI eh? Very nice :D

The screenshots look cool, are the shadows dynamic or light maps?

Unfortunately the game runs incredibly slow on my PC (which is my work PC and is pretty good as far as i know).
Image Image Image
stevend

Post by stevend »

odd :P the shadows are actually well tuned fog :)

I don't know what would cause it ro run so slow. all the pcs i ran it on, it ran allright. the development pc is a p3 800 w/ 512 mb ram. my friend reported it was super laggy, then he closed wow an it was fine.

My pc was left on for a few days, and when i ran my game, i got strange artifacts and low FPS....

I don't know if this really helps at all :roll:
Last edited by stevend on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevend

Post by stevend »

ehhlo i posted a new screenshot, showing off new features. I have made the world editor in real time, added save game states, some map editor improvements. It now is bundled with Lua and supports scripted objects.

i am working on scripted dialouge and next: npcs.

my server is down and i have nowhere to host the game, so i will update the links later.

JP: I forgot to put a sleep inside the main loop. you can now also pick a rendering device. 8)

Edit: scriptable objects with scriptable dialouge! yay!
stevend

Post by stevend »

Here is the latest release, with the slow on some PC's thing fixed (hopefully). New maps, models, vegetation, scriptable objects, scriptable dialouge, map editor improvement.

http://www.infinitezerosum.com/canadian ... ed_bin.rar
pera

Post by pera »

Great game!
I run it on lousy integrated graphics and Athlon 64 2800+ (directX) it runs flawless.

I could jerk the cart around but not really throw it away.
I stuck on collision instead of glide, but when I click on house it says: "something pirate house".

Im making level editor my self and can't wait to see your scripting code. Thanks for sharing this work!
stevend

Post by stevend »

pera: i have recently recoded most of the engine from the group up. is code name is vehement and its doing pretty well. the GUI is working and i had a better statemanger. so it allows for some things like this.

im not going to release it quite yet as the level editor needs some finishing, but when its done, ill let you know its pretty nifty! All major code is now seperated by classes and seperate from eachother for good structure, and it uses a singleton factory as well! New version will be ready soon.

stevend

Post by stevend »

I have just updated my main topic with details of what stage of development my game is in. I have also release updated screen shots binaries and source code.

Post what you think :P
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Neat stuff. You used IrrNewt you said?
I noticed a small glitch when you stand under the buildings little arch thing and turn a certain way the building disappears. Might be worth looking into ;)
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Humm.. I wonder what is wrong. I've downloaded the application and lauched the application. It crash every time when I launch it.

The device open then it crash.

Here the console output before it crashed:
Please select the desired rendering driver:
(a) Direct3D 9.0c
(b) Direct3D 8.1
(c) OpenGL 1.5
(d) Software Renderer
(e) Burning's Software Renderer
(f) NullDevice
(otherKey) exit

c
Irrlicht Engine version 1.4.1
Microsoft Windows Vista Personal Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1.2
GeForce 9800 GX2/PCI/SSE2: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
GLSL version: 1.3
irrKlang 3D Sound Engine version 1.1.0
Using DirectSound8 driver
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/splash01.jpg
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/logo.tga
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/newgame.tga
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/menubar.tga
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/targeticon.jpg
Loaded texture: ./data/graphics/gui/logosm.tga
I should assume some components are not compatible on Vista64 (Irrlicht is)
stevend

Post by stevend »

i have experianced this while testing on a friends high end PC..

irrNewt.dll is compiled on my x86 machine and tested on windows XP. I have had no issues with this on my windows XP machines, but the vista machine, and yours, seems to reject it (it crashes while loading the physics wrapper inside irrNewt.dll)

i will have to compile a version of whitetiger's IrrNewt on a Windows Vista machine and see if this helps! darn it and i was hoping for some suggestive critisizm :)
stevend

Post by stevend »

as christianclavet pointed out, there was an issue that on some PC's, the physics engines crashes when i check too see if it has been started up, thus clearing the empty world resulted in a crash, before even reaching the title screen.

I uploaded a "patch". It is a fixed executable that should work on any PC. use this until next release, with this bug fixed.

Sorry about that <.<
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Loaded the patched file. It work without problem now.

Can you explain what you've changed? Look very nice!
stevend

Post by stevend »

well, for some reason on this PC (windows XP X86) when i would do this (because the function is reused to load a map file):

Code: Select all

if (physicsworld)
 destoryphysicsworld();
it would work, but not on my vista machine, nor yours.

so i just made a flag for detecting if its the first map loaded and
creates the physics world as needed.
:)