irrlamb - 3d physics game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow, a pretty amazing game. With the simplistic, but also addictive game play it's quite likely that it will become the MarbleMadness of the new millenium :D
The control seems to be very well done, the camera movement was really cool. I guess the best scene from the video is the large sphere you're controlling by rolling to the opposite side with your small one. Really cool 8) I'll check the actual game when I find some spare time, for now the video must suffice :(
Ico

Post by Ico »

Quite addicting - but I'd like to see WASD for the default control. :) That ESDF is just too uncommon imo.

I'd change your particle emitter so that those sparkles don't just fly from the center of your ball but also out from about 50% of the sphere.

I've seen that you want to implement networking later on. Maybe you could include split screen first: Collect everything to win + "who grabbed the most?" As the gameplay is rather simple I could imagine having up to four people playing at once using one keyboard. :) Could be some kind of "rainy day fun". ;)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Wow that's amazing, especially when tiny sphere walking on a huge sphere. Nice work. :wink:
greenya

Post by greenya »

Very nice :)

I remember similar project, but it is 2D.
http://www.ragdollsoft.com/nball/ -- I like this game :)
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

Impressing :shock: little game. Greets.

But...Maybe you realize some kind of easy riddles or moving plattforms (only ideas :idea: )
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Its amazing how simple games can be so additcing
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

This is friggin amazing

it should be on irrlicht frontpage pronto! And Niko's blog!
mandrav

Post by mandrav »

Jacky_J I have to give you thumbs up not only for the game itself, which is very well done, but also for the most clean, concise and easily understandable piece of code I 've ever seen on the net. Although I wouldn't agree with some of your design decisions, still you have my respect for writing such clean and extensible code :).
Dances

Post by Dances »

Reinstalling doesn't help. Installing on C: spews the same error.
Jacky_J

Post by Jacky_J »

Thanks guys!

Next version should have an options screen where you can change key mappings. I use ESDF by default because it opens up more keys and is natural to home row keys.

I've noticed a weird bug with particles where if you move really fast, all the particles start flickering (also happens when you have tons of particles on the screen). I'll have to look more into that.

Networking would be fun, and the splitscreen gameplay would help prepare the code for that too.

I would love to discuss any code design ideas either in a pm or email.
Btw thanks for codeblocks. I use it as my main IDE in linux.

As for the error, i forgot to mention on the thread that you need VC2005 runtime libraries for windows. Eventually i would like to get it compiling on codeblocks/mingw.

http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/wiki/WindowsInstall
Ico

Post by Ico »

Go to project options, code generation and then change it from "multithreaded DLL" to just "multithreaded". The executable's size increases a little bit but you won't need the runtime files to run it.
Jacky_J

Post by Jacky_J »

Ico wrote:Go to project options, code generation and then change it from "multithreaded DLL" to just "multithreaded". The executable's size increases a little bit but you won't need the runtime files to run it.
Nice Ico, thanks