I have errors trying to load .x file. please help

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
x guest

I have errors trying to load .x file. please help

Post by x guest »

With the hello world example, since its the simpliest, I changed it so that instead of the the .md2 image it pointed to an .x image I made in DeleD. I changed the texture to load up the proper bitmap as well.

But, alas, it isn't working.

Has anyone got .x files to load up?

Also, can .x be used for entire maps, and if so, does anyone have an example?
deps

Post by deps »

.x files works without any problems for me. Make sure that the app can find the file. You only said it didn't work, was there any error messages?

You can use .x for a map. Just change the bsp loading code so it loads a .x file instead.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

skinned meshes at least had problems. I think Niko is trying to solve them. The fact is animations-meshes were loading ok in the dx8 mesh viewer and skinnedmesh dx9 application, but not in Bappy's irllitch viewer.

I think last word of Niko was there was a problem for him to solve :)

Also, I have bad memory ;)
wittm

Post by wittm »

I think last word of Niko was there was a problem for him to solve
from my experience, it seems as though the DirectX(*.x) mesh code needs some work
Every idea, thought and concept ever discussed has traveled across space and time to become reality. For every scary story, fairy tale, deed done or wish you had done - has been transformed into a living, breathing entity. Would this be nirvana or hell?
x guest

please give example code

Post by x guest »

Will someone please post code somewhere to demonstrate how to load .x for a map or for images placed on the map at run time?

I copied the .x files into the same directory the .md2 file was at in the Hello example, and changed so it pointed to the .x file instead of the .md2 file, and changed the texture as well.

That didn't work.

Is there a command I need to place somewhere to tell it I'm going to be using .x format?

The http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/index.html is hard to search through.
x guest

Post by x guest »

I got the hello example to run, having commented out the wrong line earlier apparently Doh! however now it just loads up a blank image.
--

I tried using the quake example, changing it to load up an .x file, and it runs, but nothing loads up, with this statement on the debug information.

Could not load mesh, because file could not be opened.: Waterworld.x

---
Does anyone have an .x file that does open, or know why this error happens?
pheadbaq

Same problem as x guest

Post by pheadbaq »

x guest, I'm having what looks like the exact same problem as you with loading directx models. The only difference is that I've exported them from Blender. I get the following error in the console when I load up my modified "Tutorial1":

Unknown data object in x file: Header{

Thinking perhaps that the Blender script may be including information from an older directx format (possibly 5? I have no idea really), I'll go into the directx file itself and delete the Header block , but then I get a different error message:

Unknown data object in x file: Material{

In both cases, the program continues to run, but I see no mesh :evil:

Anyone have some wisdom to impart? I think I'll start another thread asking people if they know how to load blender exports into irrlicht...
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I fixed a lot of bugs in the .x loader. I think your models will be loaded correctly with the next version of the engine. To be sure, you could send me your models for me to check them out.
x guest aka Wolf Dreamer

I'm too lazy to log in when I post, so I just made up a name

Post by x guest aka Wolf Dreamer »

http://www.delgine.com/index.php?filename=news is where I got mine from.

Nice thing for making objects and maps and exporting them to the .x format.

Both the ones I made myself, and those that come with the download of the DeleD 3D Editor, give me the same problems.
----

You said you fixed a lot of the problems... does that mean there is a new version ready to be released? No sense waiting for everything to be done, when you can just release it every time some significant feature is ready.

As soon as it is working, we can start working with .x and have a lot of progress made on our games.

Great engine by the way.
pheadbaq

Post by pheadbaq »

Well, just tried it with Irrlicht 0.6, but still getting the same errors. Was anyone else with this problem able to resolve it with 0.6 or some other way?
Pronunciation: 'feedback' ;)
Wolf Dreamer

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

:( :cry: :shock: :cry: I have the same errors as before also.

Not a single .x I try actually works.

:cry: :cry: :confused: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Has anyone managed to load up any .x other than the dwarf?
:?:
The last sane human being in a world gone mad

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Game_Maker_f ... hp?act=idx
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

The milkshape .x exporter is working for me since 0.6
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

try loding your mesh with MVIEW and then resaving it. always worked for me.
http://www.javazing.com
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6
Wolf Dreamer

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

Unknown data object in .x file: Header
Unknown data object in .x file: Material
Index count per face not equal to face material index count in .x file.
Mesh without material found in .x file.
Thats running the dwarf example thing, and then trying to load up another .x file.
The last sane human being in a world gone mad

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Game_Maker_f ... hp?act=idx
too lazy to log in

Where do I find MVIEW?

Post by too lazy to log in »

Where do I find MVIEW? I searched sourceforge and google but couldn't find a webpage to download it at, and checking through the Irrlicht API it isn't listed there so I must assume its a program.