IrrEdit Terrain Request

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
krama757

IrrEdit Terrain Request

Post by krama757 »

IrrEdit is coming along very well. I love version 0.4 with its lightmapping...no more need for DeleD :P

However, I feel the tool is very limited by not having any terrain to place the objects on. Any game with outdoor scenes (which is a majority of those rpg that are hot in development) requires this functionality.

Niko, BitPlane....Could you guys please patch up irrEdit and make the terrain work? It would be awesome just to have the terrain display so and have collision work so that objects and bulidings may be placed and things brought to life.

Thanks a bunch!

Your loyal Irrlicht user,
Krama
Bazzilic

btw...

Post by Bazzilic »

btw, i don't know whether it is a bug or it is a known issue, but this (see below) three simple steps (on pictures) get me to the "report an error to uncle Billy" window...

Here it is:
Sincerely yours, Bazzilic
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Yes, terrain would be verrryyy nice.
sudi

Post by sudi »

yeah and could u add the custom userdata stuff?
ohh and in the scripting part....when i request the type it says type doesn't exist.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Scionwest

Re: btw...

Post by Scionwest »

Bazzilic wrote:btw, i don't know whether it is a bug or it is a known issue, but this (see below) three simple steps (on pictures) get me to the "report an error to uncle Billy" window...

Here it is:
I have the same problem. That's why I have not used IrrEdit, however with 0.4 having lightmapping I might reconsider. It's just not documented well enough. I want to learn but I don't know how to do various things.
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Yea BitPlane stated in this topic: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=14741

that CTerrainSceneNode didnt have a serialize and deserialize functionality like the other scene nodes do. Thats why terrain doesnt work in irrEdit.

I think it would be great just to have a terrain to place things on. It doesnt need any of the fancy functionality because that can be take care of within the program itself.
buhatkj

irredit

Post by buhatkj »

i have noticed a lot of stuff that seemed to be missing from irredit too. it's a big app to write, a lot of features; so i am not surprised that it takes a while to get it all in there and working. irrlicht dev (at least from watching the SVN logs) appears to have sped up some with the addition of the extra members. perhaps getting irredit into svn and giving those same guys a chance to hack at it too would speed it along as well.
in any case, its pretty damn cool. ive been watching the development of it closely.
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

There is also no way to use the normal(bump) mapped material, much less the parallax mapped material because IrrEdit doesn't have a way to make a mesh a tangent mesh. That would be nice since most "newer" games will have bumped models.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Yes, I know all this. I'm working on it. I'll add a new scripting method irrGetSceneNodeType() or something similar, normal mapping is one of the things which will come next, and sorry that irrEdit crashes when adding terrain. :) Also, expect some other new stuff, like the sphere scene node or a grid.
krama757

Post by krama757 »

Thanks Niko! You're the best!
patrickrho

Post by patrickrho »

waiting for the terrain feature....