Warchief's Warboard. NOW HOTSEAT RELEASE!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Warchief

Warchief's Warboard. NOW HOTSEAT RELEASE!

Post by Warchief »

Warboard 3D Turn based game:
Previous screenshots: (Low vs high res textures)
ImageImage

In case something goes wrong:
  • Install the VS2005 runtime (check complements)
  • If you already have installed DX9.0 but d3dx9_31.dll, may try downloading the dll (check complements)
Any bug report or opinion will be appreciated.

Please, note this is a hotseat version, which means only 2 players with no AI and no network may play at once. AI is one of the most important things for this project, so its already under development. Spanish

Input is detailed on the manual, but as there's no english version i will give some hints here (key bindings):
Menu

Exit Game Esc
Continue last saved game Return

Map selection

Zoom+ ↑ W
Zoom- ↓ S
Back ← A
Next → D
Play map Return
Bacl to main menu Esc

Game

Cam Forward ↑ W
Cam Backward ↓ S
Cam Strafe Left ← A
Cam Strafe Right → D
Cam Rotate Mouse move + Right button
Cam Zoom Mouse wheel
Action/Select Mouse left button
End team turn Insert E
Pause game Return P
Exit game Esc
Save F5
Load F6
Quick Save F9
Quick Load F10
Show/Hide unit's skills table Q
Features:
+ Turn based board game.
+ Hotseat two players version.
+ One player vs AI under development.
+ Genetic Algorithms under development.

A lot of thanks go to Spintz for the great IrrSpintz support and the files hosting.
Last edited by Warchief on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JP

Post by JP »

Nice one, looks like a really old game i used to play called Slay!
Image Image Image
Halan

Post by Halan »

well if you wanna do network support i would have written also the hotseat verison or the singleplayerversion as "pseudo network" like it is done in NWN for exmaple look for "local socets" if youre interested.

nice game btw :lol: is there an english version too? are we able to add content via xml?

greetings,
Halan

ps: i love such games *smile*
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Thanks for your comments.

@Halan
Although i tend to write localizable soft/games, this one will only be available in spanish. If i finally decide to build up the network version, it will be transformed into a more customizable sequel.

Units parameters (including movement cost), gui tooltips and particles systems are already in xml, so a little of tweaking can be done.

This one is part of my Final Career Project which includes Genetic Algorithms, so it will be much simple than a multiplayer version (in order to get a nice work with the GAs).

PS: It also includes a map editor! :twisted:
Halan

Post by Halan »

well its a bit sad that theres not english version but ill try the game anyways :)
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

wao... I love this oldstyle games...
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Looking sweet Warchief. I gotta get that better water node done for IrrSpintz still :evil:
shurijo

Post by shurijo »

Looks nice. I'm doing a similiarly styled game (if I ever get time to get back on it). I love those hex-based games.

Have you tried doing a particle effect that is the shape of a hexagon, yet? I started on that but never got around to it. I noticed you are using circles around the units instead of hexs.
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Thanks.
shurijo wrote:Have you tried doing a particle effect that is the shape of a hexagon, yet? I started on that but never got around to it. I noticed you are using circles around the units instead of hexs.
Nice looking graphics is not my priority in this version, i'm just using Spintz's ring emitter because it was easy to get working. I have spent too much time in graphics for a GAs oriented project. :wink:
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

IrrSpintz' mesh emitter should do for a hexagon emitter.
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Updated with release links. Check the first post.
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Up again.

Btw, the configurator may fail to create the config file if executed from shortcut created by the installer. You may need to run the config tool from the installation folder or add the path to the shortcut manually.
Warchief's Warboard 3D Now hotseat release
Halan

Post by Halan »

nice work!

but crashed after some time :(
im working on a similiar game too btw

greets,
Halan

ps: and you DID make it in english :lol:
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yay its out! and in english! :D *Downloads*

PS: I just tried it and WoW, it is very nice I recommend that you sell it. It has to be one of the nicest polished Irrlicht games I have seen to date, I liked everything except to little things.

1. It is a disappointment that some ppl will not bother to see how good this game is because of installation issues, for example, when it finished and i picked run Warboard3D it gave the message to run the cfg first, so i thot ok I will goto startmenu, I goto startmenu and run Warboard3D (there is no config choice there) and the config comes on! so ok I think i will do config, save and exit and when i start it again it will run the actual game. I go on Warboard3D again and config comes on again! No matter how many times I save the config its config, so I think I will goto actual directory and run it. In actual directory I find 2 files the config and the game, since i have already saved config 3 times I run the game and it says I have not done config! (Naughty naughty someone has not set the working directory in the shortcuts have they :wink: ) So I run config at actual directory and save then run game and it works! :D But I doubt most ppl would bother with all this trouble so I ask you make it easier to run :lol:

2. The meshes you used are all high detailed meshes made for FPS (Quake 2 actually :P) I think you should give option to zoom in closer as Warboard texture, particle effect and health cylinder are all detailed enough to get a much closer nicer view.

Cheers :D
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

That issue 1 is simple to fix, just update the shortcuts to have the proper working folder.