Created obj + mtl loader

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
loonychewy

Created obj + mtl loader

Post by loonychewy »

I've created a wavefront obj mesh loader that loads mtl file information as well. If anyone's interested, you can get more details as well as the download here:

http://loonychewy.dyndns.org/programmin ... chtobj.php

As my website may not be up all the time, anyone so inclined may also help me to host the files. :)

Edit:
Here's a permanent link where you can get the file
http://gdlib.net/index.php?name=Downloa ... ails&id=72

Edit 2:
Updated the permanent link above with the patches submitted by CuteAlien, hybrid and mandrav in this thread

Edit 3:
v1.11: Updated against Irrlicht 1.0
Last edited by loonychewy on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

wow, excellent!
you can perm-a-host it here if you like: http://gdlib.net/
I'll add it myself if you want, but that would mean that you can't apply changes. I hope this code makes it into irrlicht 0.15!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

sounds great!
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Another feature which I think might make a lot of people happy would be the ability to load "OBJ+OBJ" style lightmapping, where a model has two OBJs and two MTLs -- one contains texture coordinates/info, the other contains lightmap coordinates/info. I almost did it myself at one point, but I don't really have that much inclination, since I just use MIM. :)
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

The thing that gets me is that I just wrote myself an OBJ loader that imports data into an "editable container mesh" for my stuff! It doesn't consider the MTL information, but I might just have to REWRITE the thing now using yours as a basis.

--EK
loonychewy

Post by loonychewy »

Thanks all for your encouragement :D

bitplane:
I've just submitted it to gdlib.net. Though I don't forsee any problems with anybody else applying any changes to it as they see fit.

Murphy:
I've not seen this usage of obj files before. But if there's any demand for it, it could be something interesting for me to work on (need samples though) :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

what murphy mentions is rather useful

A lightmap is like all ilumination and shadows baked into a tga(for example). That way, the engine does not calculate complex cpu heavy light calculations: it just overlays in somewhat multiply mode a B/w with greys bitmap that does the effect perfectly. The rendering of that tga is done in whatever the package. You bake then GI , rich lighting in your renderer, and export that mesh with it's UV mapping and a lightmap bitmap asigned to it. Softwares like Max or Gile[s] can do this internaly and output a double chanel mesh file (you need two uv channels: one for texture(s), one for lightmap(s)) .But besides few formats have this support (obj is great, but doesnt) , few tools do support this 2 uv channel thing. Blededr doesn't. But if for example you bake the lighting in blender into a tga -is possible- and export the OBJ with the tga asigned to its simple channel 1, as if it were a texture. And then export as another obj the same scene, just with its real texture asigned to again uv channel 1, well, you will have 2 objs, one with its UVs and texture, and another with it's lightmap (actually a tga or bmp, etc) and its UVs (can be the same, but often is useful do another)

What Murphy did was a tool called OBJ2MIM that took those 2 files and converted into an xml file , *.mim , where you could even edit the type of multiply mode to use for the lightmap...Was freaking useful.

I guess what he's suggesting now is you do add this support directly for the artist. he made for the testing a viewer, which was actually irrlicht 0.7, which I used to go back and force testing new changes to the lightmap and texture, etc, at speed of light. Was so fast that not much of a difference than if it were a full packge. Well, if all's done in a package, good, but actually was more direct: at the end, there's a need to export to real engine, so , I prefered to do the preview with the engine than rendering in the 3d tool viewport, often.

MY3d and other solutions are great. I worked so at companies, with similar plugins.

But the OBJ solution is uber flexible: close to all 3d packages can output an obj+uvmapping+texture. And is all required (and that tool can bake the lighting into uv, but there are a few able already)
Also, is a solution for the poor ;)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

wow! great job! This surely fills a big gap in Irrlicht's obj loading.

And the possibilities mentioned above (for lightmapping) are immediately incremented with your code!

triple kudos! :D
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Very nice!

I've made some minor additions:
My meshes have several materials assigned per group and so i added a hack to display them all. Each time a group gets assigned a new material i just create a new group.

Not really a patch (i still have to find out how to make them, never used patch before), but just add the + lines where the usemtl flag is set:

// if there's a group being built up now,
// get name of material
pBufPtr = goAndCopyNextWord(wordBuffer, pBufPtr, WORD_BUFFER_LENGTH, pBufEnd);

+ // create a new group
+ core::stringc groupNew = pCurrGroup->name;
+ groupNew.append(wordBuffer);
+ pCurrGroup = findOrAddGroup(wordBuffer);

// retrieve the material
pCurrMtl = findMtl( wordBuffer );

Also after loading the mesh i had to flip surfaces and mirror the mesh:
scene::IAnimatedMesh* m = mSceneManager->getMesh(filename);
for ( int i=0; i < m->getFrameCount (); ++i ) {
mSceneManager->getMeshManipulator()->flipSurfaces( m->getMesh(i) );
mSceneManager->getMeshManipulator()->scaleMesh(m->getMesh(i),core::vector3df (-1, 1, 1));
}

I hope to fix the other problems which i still have soon (i just started using the engine, so it may take a while):
- My textures are still mirrored
- Maya seems to use an extra alpha channel for textures which is ignored so far. I try to write the alpha values directly in the textures and search for fix so this value will be used (probably something with the material flags)
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

I have added some important parts to the MTL loader, such as several texture map support, better coloring and other things. The new version can be found as a patch file at http://parsys.informatik.uni-oldenburg. ... d/irrlicht
I did not yet include the patch by CuteAlien as this seems to introduce too many mesh buffers. I will check for a better solution which will even support materials without groups (which seems to be allowed - I have seen some files using lots of usemtl statements spread through the face list) I guess that we only have to change from group->MeshBuffer to material->MeshBuffer, but I'll see.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Nice work hybrid. My patch really is just a hack that "works", but so far i'm not deep enough in that stuff to provide a good solution and i'd be very glad if this could be done with less buffers :-)

But i want to give feedback about another thing: In readColor you invert all the values (255-color*255) and at least the ambient colors (Ka) seem to work only correct for me if i don't do that (haven't checked diffuse and specular). I don't know which way is correct - i just get my .obj from a graphican and maybe he does strange stuff to them and i don't know much about the .obj format myself.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Hehe, there was just someone complaining about .obj files inverting the colors without any patch :lol:
I did not find a good source for this, but my models all had wrong colors without inverting. Though, most are still too dark...
I did not yet fix the material/group thing, but I just read that faces may even belong to several groups. So I will go for the material=meshbuffer solution I think. Groups seem to be relevant for animation (or editing) only.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

hybrid wrote:Hehe, there was just someone complaining about .obj files inverting the colors without any patch :lol:
Sorry, that was me, i just forgot to mention there that i had the patch installed already.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Yes, I jsut realized :lol:
I will check the specification for this. Thing is that most colors had alpha set to 0.0f which is not very useful, so I just inverted all of them making my example files appear in better colors (though still not correct from what I expected).
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I found a page with some description of the .mtl format. Thought no word about colors inversed or not inversed: http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/data/mtl/mtl.html
For Alpha's it seems the default 1.0 in Maya means no transparence at all, so this seems to be inversed.

I guess it would be a good idea to create new materials with the default values given there (not sure about alpha's... default would be 0 - but 255 looks fine in my testcase):

pCurrMaterial->material.AmbientColor = video::SColor(255, (s32)(0.2*255.f), (s32)(0.2*255.f), (s32)(0.2*255.f));
pCurrMaterial->material.DiffuseColor = video::SColor(255, (s32)(0.8*255.f), (s32)(0.8*255.f), (s32)(0.8*255.f));
pCurrMaterial->material.Shininess = 0.f;

Also i always use the following default values in my code when creating new materials:

// To get the full range of transparent values (i think default in Irrlicht is 0.5 which means alpha-values below 127 will just be completly transparent)
pCurrMaterial->material.MaterialTypeParam = 0.02f;

// Without any emissive color set, the ambience color does not influence my modells.
// Maybe a problem in my own code, but when setting emissive it works.
pCurrMaterial->material.EmissiveColor = video::SColor(127,127,127,127);