The olny way is up. (but then again maybe not..............

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ardentcrest

The olny way is up. (but then again maybe not..............

Post by ardentcrest »

I'm a c++ virgin, the last two weeks and I'v been going in and out of this forum.

There's been many refs to CLIMBING and LADDERS but,

""NO REAL C++ CODE TO SHOW HOW TO CLIMB A LADDER""

The irr Demos have STAIRS in them you can use,

The irr Demos have RAMPS in them you can use,

The irr Demos have LADDERS in them YOU CAN'T USE........

Y

When virgins like me ask for help it would be nice to have help,
Not put downs...............

WE ARE JUST STARTING C++ HELP US,KEEP US WITH IRR NOT ANY OTHER 3D ENGINE.....

I've Done Z80 years ago, And now php for the web, But c++ is New to me Books Olny help so much.

HELP US TEACH US.

WE are here to learn....................................
Don't Dream it, Be it..

Post by Conquistador »

Well, I don't think learning a programming language and another API at the same time is constructive, it just puts more strain on the brain. If you know your C++ and how it's used, you don't need code samples or snippets, because you understand how the process of coding with this engine works, and implementing that stuff becomes second nature.

Now, as far as ladders go, the computer needs to know:
- Where the ladder is
- Where the ladder starts
- Where the ladder ends

I don't know how you would define these, if they would be hard coded, or provided in a config file and parsed on loading of the map, that's up to you.

If you have those details, then it's fairly easy, when a user wants to go up a ladder, and is pressing the forward key, just move the player "up" a set number of units/frame, until the user is at the top, then the user can carry on as normal. For going down ladders, you could reverse the process.

I'm not gonna give you any code samples, because it would be too long, and there are many, many ways you can implement it.

For now, I would suggest getting up to speed on C++, and a glance at the API to see what functions the engine has to accomplish this.

Good luck
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

Now, as far as ladders go, the computer needs to know:
- Where the ladder is
- Where the ladder starts
- Where the ladder ends

First of all half-life and quake and the rest.they - use a ladder as an entity ie take a look at hammer for half life.

How can we use a ladder as an entity in irr as this needs to be programmed in c++ as irr does not recognise entities in bsp maps. Maybe this needs to be addressed in irrlicht 1.4 as people need to climb ladders.

In a first person or third person there are always ladders.

CAN ANYONE WITH THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF C++ AND WHO IS WILLING TO HELP GIVE A BASIC HELP COURSE IN HOW TO CLIMB A LADDER AS A THREE YEAR OLD HAS TO LEARN TO WALK .

I,ve been on the genesis website they can go up ladders why cant irrlicht.

Those who can programme, should use their skills rather than their mouths or typing fingers , to help the unfortunite lack of skilled newlly aquired programmers of the c++ language.

As I have trvwelled the web and all 3D open sourced engines ego has not been a major priority as IDIOTS still have to learn c++ i hope someone will kick me off my high horse by either showing how climing a
SIMPLE LADDER can be done by being an entity or it should be added into the main sourse code of the engine as a particle for creating a fire is .

:twisted: heeeeelllppppp!!!!!!!!! c++ help is needed not sarcastic jargon GENUINE HELP REQUIRED NOT CHIT CHAT.
Don't Dream it, Be it..

Post by Conquistador »

How can we use a ladder as an entity in irr as this needs to be programmed in c++ as irr does not recognise entities in bsp maps. Maybe this needs to be addressed in irrlicht 1.4 as people need to climb ladders.
Irrlicht is not a game engine, it's a realtime 3D engine that happens to have some collision detection thrown in.
heeeeelllppppp!!!!!!!!! c++ help is needed not sarcastic jargon GENUINE HELP REQUIRED NOT CHIT CHAT.
Like I said before, I personally don't provide code for stuff like this, there's just too many ways that it could be done. Also, what fun would programming be if people just gave scode to you? Not fun at all. You don't learn anything. If you took the time to research the code needed, which I've described, and experimented a bit, you'd know how it works, and know that you can do it in the future, and, you'd know and understand the API and C++ that much better.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca

Post by Guest »

OP > gotta agree with conquistador, you fail to realise irrlicht is an all purpose (or can be) rendering engine and NOT a game engine - do not compare it to what other engines (game) can do with "built in" things - you NEED to wrap your own game engine around irrlicht.

If you think someone is going to post a fully robust "entities" class here just because you are demanding it then you won't have many replies.

Firstly you say you are NEW to C++, I could tell you how to go about "climbing a ladder" but I can assure it would not be a massive code dump - that is beyond helping that is doing the work for you and is not a trivial matter. He has already explained the concept of what you need, IF you knew how to code in C++ you would be able to take that and apply it.

Seriously, I am not having a go at you but if you do not KNOW the language then where do we start helping you? do we start teaching the basics of C++? do we just dump code (lots of it in a very convoluted fashion to someone who won't understand it) that is still not going to live up to your idea of "how it should be done compared to engine X".

All I will say is you need to look at movement in irrlicht in general, understand how you move the camera (player) with the keys, and how you adjust the camera with ->setPosition() and check it with ->getPosition(). That would have you with the basics of ladder climbing, it would be totally up to you how you "wrap and embellish it" - as was said - there are simply too many ways to approach the problem. If you understood irrlicht/c++ just a little bit more you would easily be able to see "how" to do something far better than someone just dumping code... just dumping code will only prompt more questions from you and all of use are busy guys too. Everyone helps where they can but your question is broad and actually more general 3D programming than irrlicht related.

Don't take this as hostility - there are people who spend far too much time on this forum who probably will post you a personal tutorial - but I won't, because I don't feel it is good to spend my time helping people who are not prepared to help themselves a little especially when you have posted rather agressively almost demanding someone do the work for you.

And definitley do not compare irrlicht to either engines you pay for or full game engines that is your major mistake.

If you can't accept the way it is and approach the situation with a bit more integrity and a bit more information on what stage you are at and how much you already understand - then you can no really expect useful replies.

Re: The olny way is up. (but then again maybe not...........

Post by Guest »

oh and also:
ardentcrest wrote: When virgins like me ask for help it would be nice to have help,
Not put downs...............
I agree, put downs are not useful, I won't consider my last post a put down because it is not. Remember this works both ways though, and just because you are a "virgin" as you call it, doesn't mean you can basically put the more experience people "down", because their replies don't fit what you require.
WE ARE JUST STARTING C++ HELP US,KEEP US WITH IRR NOT ANY OTHER 3D ENGINE.....
Fatal error here.. firstly this is a forum about IRRLICHT that already has far too much noise (irrevelent posts). It is NOT a general purpose games programming forum and definitley not a C++ coding forum. It is assumed that if you are here and are using irrlicht (which is FREE remember) then you have paidn the price of admission already (which is having the commitment and determination to actually teach yourself / pay for a course on the language you chose to program with). Some people muddle through and have "learned" the basics of C++ just by using irrlicht, others have been learning it for years and still learning (it is that kind of language.

Secondly, we have nothing to gain from "keeping you with irr and not some other engine".. that is your choice - I don't care if I am the ONLY user of irrlicht, you should be able to appreciate what it can do for you and not make ultimatums like it will affect anyone other than yourself. Really, you will have a VERY hard time with any other "3D engine" if you can not grasp irrlicht so go ahead and use another one, you will get much the same response from those forums and have a more difficult engine to work with (not a wise move). I would suggest instead you listen to the replies, give a little bit back, be a self starter and not throw peoples help back in their faces (as you did in your reply to Conquistidor).

I would suggest you go and learn C++ a little better (just a few months would help) then come back and you will find your question is a lot more refined and less ambiguous and THEN you will get some great code snippets to "drop into" your code that makes sense to YOU and is worthwhile posting for the person helping you.
Maize

Post by Maize »

By the way you're acting, Id put you at around 13 years old. That presents us with another problem. I never heard of a 6 year old using assembly. Why dont you stop lying about yourself and then maybe some people would help.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

haha I thought the same thing :lol:
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Rambus

Post by Rambus »

People on this forum are extremely helpful,
I have only been using irrlicht for a short period of time, and when I needed help with a lighting obscurity I received plenty of helpful advice, mind you no one went out and said here is the code to blah blah, they suggested different angles to approach my problem from.

Your mistake however is coming into a forum and demanding help from experienced users, as if they owe it to you. Any tid bit of knowledge they choose to bestow upon you should be cherished as if a gift from the heavens.

As for your problem with entities, I have used the CSM format in plenty of other projects with different engines in the past and it fully supports half-life style entities as well as hammer style editing. Josh has really made a nice editor and it's easily worth the 30+ dollars it goes for (He has a new editor out called 3D world studio and I have only heard good things about it, though I haven’t tried it myself.)

On a side note, your shift key appears to be broken.
used_to_be_phunk

Post by used_to_be_phunk »

still think that the above posters are totally right. but maybe one handle..

well, can remember that the tech demo had a ladder that worked(or at least used to work, but it was version 0.5 or so when I checked) So look at that.(could be wrong though). But as the reply's above, I really think that you shouldn't ask for code.

If youre stuck, try to look at programs that do what you want, and copy/delete/rewrite code. It will almost never fit your need exacly. But when you can figure out what lines of (for example) a 2 MB of c++ code is responsible for it. You have allready gained the understanding to implement it yourself.

I don't think anybody starts writing a (big) program without looking and maybe some copy/pasting from other similair projects or functions.
And why should you try to reinvent the wheel again? it is what sourceforge is made for. Just do be nice and at least put the names from the people's code you used in the thank you file.

But still, don't beg for code, it gives the impression youre just too lazy to use google.

anyways thats my 2 cents.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

used_to_be_phunk Thanks for the help. looked at the code have good idea on it now...

Now heres the thing. i desided to make a bsp map, on this map i made many walls. Each of thise walls was at a diffrent angles from 0 deg to 90 deg i could climb all but the 90 deg wall.

I've looked at the Scene Collision Manager and SceneNodeAnimatorCollisionResponse to change the angle so i could only climb walls of 45 degs can any one help.
Don't Dream it, Be it..