Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

Go Ahead or Terminate?

Go
99%
No
1%

Total votes: 71

omaremad
Competition winner

Insane Bump: A free Alternative to Crazy Bump

Post by omaremad »

I just discovered Crazy Bump two days ago and was amazed by the 30 day trial, however it costs allot of money to keep it for a long time. So i decided to make my own next-gen texture generator.

I made Insane Bump which makes:
-diffuse textures free from lighting
-good normal maps
-height maps
-specularity maps(2 types)

the results are packed int two RGBA textures
with a special shader i can also generate Ambient occlusion maps. It can work in batch or single files.

I made a comparison with pictures between Crazy bump and my insane bump.
http://irrlichtirc.g0dsoft.com/omaremad/insane.pdf
If you guys like it i can then proceed to make it user friendly and make installers.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

It definitely appeals to me. Also given the fact that it plugs in to GIMP is even better, because that is always part of my graphics pipeline. I would say keep up the good work omaremad!
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Very nice. U da man, Omar!

Shukran Jazilan
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

dlangdev wrote:Shukran Jazilan
Lol, Ramadan Mubarek, omar :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Here's another one...

Omar, ya sheik, indak fulus katheer!

Yalla!, ro!

Mafi mushkila.

Maalesh.

LOL!
JP

Post by JP »

That looks really good Omar, nice one! Your normal map looks much better than the crazy bump one, much more detailed!
Image Image Image
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

That looks awesome! Good work.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

...I think is good that you make it. 'cause th eother alternatives: ORB, is dead since long, and not as easy to use, and a very good one, Xnormal , www.xnormal.net , is really nice but requires directx 9.0c and .NET framework installed, which several ppl don't like to have. Not a prob for me, but...

And even if werent so, the more , the merrier. Is not easy to get a good handle of the thing, so... and these tools seem to be constantly dying or going comercial...

I wasnt going to post, but then I thought wouldnt be fair to you, in case you are not aware.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

oh, and voted "Go".
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Thanks guys for the positive comments, I will program a windows version of the viewer and make a complete package.

Currently the upscaling is working fine but adds a border of a few pixels (Gimp scales up in integer sizes), does anyone know how to get the fractional part of a number in python? All the other upscaling scripts for gimp also suffer from this :(

Also i will have to learn how to make installers >_<.
Omar, ya sheik, indak fulus katheer!
Oh really? :shock:

@vermeer
Yeah xnormal used to be my favourite normal map tool(for mesh based normal maps) till blender got tangent bake. i decided to make this beacuse xnormal cant make crazy bump style maps and it doesnt batch process images. However for mesh based normal maps i think its the best interms of speed and quality.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Maybe make it independent? An image format isn't that hard to manipulate, and if it was in your own app, you'd have the precision you desire ^^
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

oh, focus quite in image based. That is, by photoshop and 2d work...very interesting... i sort of like more those workflows for certain detailing...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

actually, sounding really good.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

I ruined my linux 3D accleration by installer a new driver... so i got delayed a bit(not yet fixed :( ). Anyway i ported it to windows and made an installer. Im not 100% happy with my heightmap generation (i have a few more ideas to add) but i'll test release the installer on irc tommorow (just in case it doesnt work on other pc's and also so i can get interactive feedback on how thigs go).

Here are a few more examples, guess which one is normal mapped.
@Dorth
Im too lazy to code tons of filters and format read/writes :lol:, Im doing some of the processing in imagemagick which has 16 bit suppourt; maybe i can move some of the processes there.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok here is the installer, follow the instructions carefully, dont just skip them. It has been tested on one other pc and it worked.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l63h9yxxott
Sorry about all the stuff you have to install, i didnt know it was this complex to get gimp-python working on windows.

To run it open gimp>xtns>python-fu>test>insane (it can be ran from command line too like most gimp batch scripts)

Here is a mini guide on the settings

I have provdied three test images they are in C:\insanebumptemp

wall.tga
rocks.tga <-lots of detail works good with defualt settings
brick.tga <-this is low res try and run with the upscale option

Currently increasing the large details option destroys finder details in the heightmap(thats something i have to fix), but i reccomend making it larger if there are large bumps in your image (occupy 50% of your image area) or smaller if the largest bumps in your image are quite small.

Smooth step is only half working.
I do not reccomend normal smoothing.

If your image is too dark (like a road) Insane bump wont see things properly, so i reccomend running a white balance filter on it(unfortunately this wasnt acesscible in gimps script interface).
"Irrlicht is obese"