Concept Art / Visual Concept Dev.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Concept Art / Visual Concept Dev.

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

there are great communities like polycount.com and conceptart.org that specialize in art and concept art. i know irrlicht.sourceforge.net is a bit more oriented towards technical side, but thought it would be nice to have a little concept art to share ideas on the visual aspects of our wips.

please don't:

spam with many pictures, choose MAX 3 pics per post to keep this from getting annoyingly big or hard to scroll through.

please do:

provide at least a small description of your concept, no one likes to see a cool concept pic and then not know what is going on.

here is a concept for a level i am working on for an action puzzle game.
level name: Pink Lemonade and Sunshine
the theme of the whole game is running through obstacle courses. the game has a fast pace and upbeat atmosphere.
this picture itself shows what the environment and the hot air balloon hints at what the level objective will be, this will be one of the harder ones, jumping from balloon to balloon and not falling. drawn in the gimp.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

cool, I'll be interested to see how that translates to 3D :)

I like hot air balloons in the sky:
http://xzist.org/temp/irrscreens/watersky99.png

(sadly I don't have any concept art though)
shadowslair

Re: Concept Art / Visual Concept Dev.

Post by shadowslair »

It`s sweet, but you can do better I`m sure. When you work on sth, you usually start with the basic stuff, then add detail. Don`t be scared to use reference material, especially for things you cannot imagine very good. The baloon is usually very big compared to the basket. For a game you can ignore some proportions depending on the style, but your baloon should be filled with hot air and its ropes should be taut- use basic shapes- circles, rectangles, lines etc. Also if the sun is behind the baloon, then all we see of it on the picture shall be in shadow. Here`s a 5 min overpaint, hope you don`t mind. The colors are plain intentionally to show the basic shapes. Very simple, but looks more believable right?

"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Virion
Competition winner

Re: Concept Art / Visual Concept Dev.

Post by Virion »

Space marine. Just draw for fun coz its been a long time I didn't touch my tablet.

I do agree with shadowslair's suggestion, you should look into that. with some reference you will realize a lot of mistake you did (coz its hard to imagine it correctly unless you are very familiar with the object) and it would certainly make your artwork more believable. keep it up man. :D