cAudio - 3D Audio Engine Based on Openal

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
bkeys

cAudio - 3D Audio Engine Based on Openal

Post by bkeys »

DISCLAIMER: I am not a cAudio developer nor am I associated with the cAudio project, I am posting this to endorse it's usage
Hey you guys,
I am working on a project with a few friends of mine and we needed a 3D audio library that was cross platform and the only viable solution it seemed was irrKlang but alas! I found a freedom respecting 3D audio library people can use called cAudio, here is their github
https://github.com/R4stl1n/cAudio
it is under a zlib license and supports both WAV and OGG files (it comes with libvorbis and libogg so you do not even have to download them). Judging by what I saw it seems like our community is not that aware of this library so I wanted to let people know that we have a 3D audio library that will respect your freedom :D :D :D
- Brigham Keys, Esq.
devsh
Competition winner

Re: cAudio - 3D Audio Engine Based on Openal

Post by devsh »

Ideal library supports Flac, Vorbis and Opus, most importantly the latter two with a super-low latency decoder
bkeys

Post by bkeys »

devsh wrote:Ideal library supports Flac, Vorbis and Opus, most importantly the latter two with a super-low latency decoder
Yes that is ideal, not sure if irrKlang has that support but this is still a great solution for those who are looking for a freely licensed audio library with 3D capabilities, I think the community might have some individuals who would be interested in taking a look at it. I think it would be great to do a pull request and implement the features you talk about since that would benefit everyone who uses cAudio
- Brigham Keys, Esq.
polylux

Post by polylux »

It's my choice to add audible stuff to an irrlicht project. Maintaining the ArchLinux package.
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
sunnystormy

Post by sunnystormy »

@bkeys

I looked at that project a while ago back when I was working on a Windows machine; have they improved its ability to compile? :wink:

I've actually found that it is more educational to learn how to use OpenAL from scratch. I've got an Audio interface that I've built to pair with Irrlicht that uses OpenAL, and I've found it pretty lightweight to work with. Using ALUT will also help speed up any implementation. Getting WAV and OGG support inside of code isn't that difficult either.
My blog: http://fsgdp.wordpress.com "The Free Software Game Development Pipeline"
bkeys

Post by bkeys »

sunnystormy wrote:@bkeys

I looked at that project a while ago back when I was working on a Windows machine; have they improved its ability to compile? :wink:

I've actually found that it is more educational to learn how to use OpenAL from scratch. I've got an Audio interface that I've built to pair with Irrlicht that uses OpenAL, and I've found it pretty lightweight to work with. Using ALUT will also help speed up any implementation. Getting WAV and OGG support inside of code isn't that difficult either.
Do you have a git repo at all for this? It is more educational but cAudio is great for people who just want to get the audio working and move on, it took a while for me to find it and me alone with the fedora community are trying hard to get it in the repos :)
- Brigham Keys, Esq.
sunnystormy

Post by sunnystormy »

@bkeys

I don't! But... that is a very good idea. Right now the interface only supports .WAV/.OGG playback, fade-in/fade-out, and 2D/3D capabilities. I haven't expanded it to include some of the more advanced features like reverb or things like that. I'll look into opening it up at some point, as per your suggestion.
My blog: http://fsgdp.wordpress.com "The Free Software Game Development Pipeline"
gerdb

Post by gerdb »

hi long time no see, hope ure all well.

Id like to ask what latency openal has, since i heard its just an MME wrapper?