Zirkonia - 3d tactical rpg

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
csg

Zirkonia - 3d tactical rpg

Post by csg »

Hello Community!
I'm working on my game now for some years and it's i shame I haven't shown it to you awesome folks yet. Irrlicht was my first 3d engine, and I'm still loving it. Keep up the good work!

----

tigsource thread (english)
multimediaxis thread (german)

twitter
- News on twitter about all our games!

tumblr
- Frequent posts of some indev-stuff not shown anywhere else!

facebook
- Facebook, right?

indiedb

Abstract
Zirkonia is a classic turn-based tactical RPG (like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics), which is influenced largely by visual novels.
It’s settled in a dystrophic world, a few centuries before its final doom. Borderlands of the know continent, which are constantly attacked by an ancient power since the beginning of history, are giving in more and more. Whole countries are breaking away gradually and disappear in the dark gap - an area that borders the whole land and devours it bit by bit.

Image Image

Zirkonia arise from the thought that there wasn't enough love for tactical role-playing games during the last time, especially for the PC. It orientates itself by the named models but follows very different paths in many aspects. The game isn't focused on an unmanageable bunch of characters but on a small group, whose individual development - regarding their skills as well as their personalities - comes to the fore much more.

All screens are taken from our early techalpha, so nothing is final yet! If you want to follow us our just be informed, check us out at

Main menue

Story
The once powerful continent Zirkonia is today, many deprived thousands after the crushing defeat by the children of the moon, nothing but a shadow of its former self. Abandoned by their gods and the power of magic, the once proud folk has no choice but to accept and watch the slow and inexorable decay of their world, because since that dreadful defeat, the mainland suffers from a gnawing ulcer, which consumes all the land, only leaving a black void on his way. Baptized as the abyss, the ring of decay draws his circles closer and closer around the remaining bastions and swallows not only the basements of life, but also all the remaining hope. In this grim time, the inevitable death has been accepted as a natural law, as the expiration of mankind in a voiceless disintegration into oblivion.

Announced by heavy quakes, the Kingdoms of South, Icerestris and Luriestor, now also gaze into their fate, as it happened 20 years before to the last big Kingdom Galarah. Desperately trying to convince the Union of Central Zirkonia of granting their peolpe asylum in this last resort, Incerestris threatens the war. But as it did 20 years ago, Zarakis, the Union of central empires refuses to accept refugees. To avoid a further colflict, Zarakis delegates a young priestress to Weroa, the frozen capital of Incerestris. As a supposedly descendent of the dreaded children of the Moon the young women alone should be able to appease the destructive forces of the void and save the region from its almost certain doom. Luriestor however, which has been plagued by deadly earthquakes a lot longer and whose cries for help have been ignored, forms his own troop under the leadership of the from Zarakis exiled Lord Elryms. With the goal of saving one's own country, the small squad tries to kidnap the priestress on her way to Weroa.

In the course of her entrance examination in an arcane fraternity, the young scholar Kyara is assigned by her master to support the squad in its secret endeavor. But quickly it becomes clear that behind the veil of a kind priestress there is much more to read than assumed at the beginning and she finds herself in an adventure that seems to contain more than the Abduction of a young woman ...

Ingamemenue. Always shows a close-up of the room the player is currently in

Gameplay

You control a small party of heroes on a grid and try to defeat the enemies strategically before you pip out. It's extremely important to keep an overview of the field. That's why the positioning of your characters is decisive to sidestep traps or prepare your own ambushes.

Every character disposes of two resources: action points and concentration points. Those points are used to either perform actions like attack and move or to use special skills. The tactic the character is following at the moment, which can be changed every turn, determines the rate of these points.

Zirkonia is characterized by an extremely high interaction of gameplay elements and story. The game changes dynamically from its explorer mode (the mode of movement and interaction with the environment like in classic role-playing games) to the battle mode. All in the same environment, there won't be separate battle maps.
Because battles in tactical tend to last quite long, the story of the game is shifted to what happens during that battles and won't be told in stand-alone cutscenes before and after the fights.

The game attaches importance to the complex system of interaction between the characters. Your characters will be able to team up in battle, which doesn't only activates special skills but influences the relationships between your characters,
To allow the player to customize his party, additionally to the fixed class every character belongs to, the player can freely select a sub class for each of his characters. Sub classes can be learned from other characters of your party, cementing the relationship of teacher and pupil.

And now some vids! Beware: They are really old, unfortunately.

Playable characters!

Kyara, the young mercenary

Read background!

Zephe, the adventurous cook
Read background!

Cheris, the nearly human alchemist
Read background!

Also, I'm working on a presentation video for this game. As I'm kind of experienced with creating anime, I wanted to give it here a try, too:

And, for the end, some more artwork and other game related stuff!

[url=http://"http://i.imgur.com/7Sa0PTP.png"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://i.imgur.com/6W0ZAdk.png"]Image[/url]

-----

Thanks for reading, if you're interested: There are more informations on tigsource!
Last edited by csg on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hendu

Re: Zirkonia - 3d tactical rpg

Post by hendu »

That is excellent. And exactly the kind I love too. More than a bit Tales influence, but that's the way I like it.

I wish I could draw that well.
wing64
Competition winner

Post by wing64 »

Hey! Good job :D
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Wow this looks great! Nice work
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

This project looks really amazing!
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
thanhle

Post by thanhle »

Great work! Very well balance graphic buddy.

Are there more effects to character skill(s)?

thanh
sunnystormy

Post by sunnystormy »

Cool!

Looking forward to when it's finished. :)
My blog: http://fsgdp.wordpress.com "The Free Software Game Development Pipeline"
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

Wow - How did I miss this?
Excellent work!
Any updates?
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Looks good man. :o
csg

Post by csg »

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! Gonna post more from now on.

the playable prologue ( roughly 1 hour long ) for the game is now being tested and I'm finishing the last models und Artworks!

Short scene from our presentation for the game! Will be released together with the prologue.

Finished model for the ingame tavern.

More Characterartworks for ingame dialouge

chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Nice to see this hasn't been abandoned. I imagine it's alot of work. Keep it up! You're doing good!
Out of curiosity, are you doing this alone or do you have help?
csg

Post by csg »

At the moment, I'm working alone. Doing all gamedesign, 3d, story and programming is a lot of work, though. But I'm almost done with the prologue ( 45min - 1h ).

right now, I'm trying to finalize my battleeffects! :D
Last edited by csg on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

HOLY COW! Keep the good work up! :D

"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hendu

Post by hendu »

I fear you'll burn out and this will never see the light :(
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

@hendu - I had a similar premonition. Starfox Shadows of Lylat project was over a year in dev, looked amazing, and still conked out, and that had a whole crew.

@csg - Have you considered any fundraising like Kickstarter? Zirkonia seems to have reasonably good popularity on IndieDB for ranking, though you might need another venue for better publicity.