irrBullet 0.1.8 - Bullet physics wrapper

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Lithumist

Re: irrBullet 0.1.8 - Bullet physics wrapper

Post by Lithumist »

Hey,

I've been trying to get irrBullet working in my project but my program keeps crashing whever I try to create the bullet world. I'm not if the cause is just my bad code, or not linking to irrBullet correctly or something completely different.

Here's the code that crashes:

Code: Select all

irrBulletWorld* b = createIrrBulletWorld(engine->getDevice(), false, debug_draw);

It crashes and complains about trying to access a null pointer:
Access violation reading location 0xffffffff.
I'm pretty sure that engine->getDevice() works because I use it in lots of other parts of my code with no errors, and i'm quite sure that engine points to something valid.

I tried using the debugger and it pointed to this line in bulletworld.cpp when the program crashes:

printf("irrBullet %i.%i.%i\n", IRRBULLET_VER_MAJOR, IRRBULLET_VER_MINOR, IRRBULLET_VER_MICRO);

I am using Visual C++ 2010 and linking to the libraries that came with the download. I'm also going to add that i've tried compiling and running in debug and release mode, and I get a number of weird linker warnings when I compile, i have a feeling they have something to do with it: :lol:
(Compiling in Release mode)
Generating code
1> Finished generating code
1>irrBullet.lib(softbody.obj) : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol ??0?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@ABV01@@Z (public: __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)) imported
1>irrBullet.lib(softbody.obj) : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol ??1?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@XZ (public: __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >(void)) imported
1>irrBullet.lib(softbody.obj) : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol ??0?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@PBD@Z (public: __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >(char const *)) imported
1>irrBullet.lib(bulletworld.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(bulletworld.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(collisioncallbackinformation.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(collisioncallbackinformation.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(collisionobject.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(collisionobject.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(collisionshape.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(collisionshape.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(irrbullet.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(irrbullet.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(irrbulletcommon.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(irrbulletcommon.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(liquidbody.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(liquidbody.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(motionstate.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(motionstate.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(physicsdebug.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(physicsdebug.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(raycastvehicle.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(raycastvehicle.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(rigidbody.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(rigidbody.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
1>irrBullet.lib(softbody.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb' was not found with 'irrBullet.lib(softbody.obj)' or at 'C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ExploreGame\Release\vc90.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
Thanks for reading, hope someone can help!
easy163

Post by easy163 »

Hi all, create a terrain with a ITerrainSceneNode* how to use irrbullet give terrain hardness whatever items would fall on him? May from a height map to create a mesh continue to add physics using IBvhTriangleMeshShape*? But how?

Sorry for bad English, I'm from Russia :)
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

The site and links appear to be down.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

um... My recommendation is not to use a wrapper, you don't know how the wrapper works and it makes troubleshooting harder.

Bullet is *easy* to integrate, it took me about 10 minutes to get bullet to play nice with Irrlicht
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Christi258

Post by Christi258 »

Is irrBullet 0.1.8 compatible with Irrlicht 1.8 or not?
Christi258

Post by Christi258 »

Hello?
It's sad.
I would say this is one of the less comments concerning specific Irrbullet.
And no one answers. ;)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Christi258 wrote:Hello?
It's sad.
I would say this is one of the less comments concerning specific Irrbullet.
And no one answers. ;)
Well, you can just try it. I'm pretty sure irrlicht hasn't changed that much.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
jorgerosa
Competition winner

Post by jorgerosa »

[TUTORIAL] Compiling irrBullet (Creating a "irrBullet.dll")

MS Windows 7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/poop_happens (I´m an happy MS Windows user... or not...)
Code::Blocks 13.12: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26
Irrlicht 1.8.1: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/downloads
Bullet 2.82: https://code.google.com/p/bullet/downloads/list
irrBullet 0.1.8: http://sourceforge.net/projects/irrbullet
(I´m always trying to get everything updated!)

1) Create a new project, select Dinamyc Library (DLL), name it as "irrBullet", then remove all the created default files...

2) Add all files recursively, from:

(...)\irrlicht-1.8.1\include (The Irrlicht library!)
(...)\bullet-2.82-r2704\src (The Bullet Physics library!)
(...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source (The irrBullet (Bullet Physics to Irrlicht Wrapper) library!)

Then...

3) Completly remove from the project: (All these folders and all included files)

(...)\bullet-2.82-r2704\src\BulletMultiThreaded (Not needed!)
(...)\bullet-2.82-r2704\src\MiniCL (Not needed!)
(...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\DeprecatedCancelled (Not needed!)

All done! Now let´s compile all this...

4) Errors that will emerge: (Only because irrBullet needs to be updated to "match" the lattest Bullet Physic library´s changes)

:arrow: 1st ERROR: (...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\collisioncallbackinformation.cpp:30:113: error: static_cast from type 'const btCollisionObject*' to type 'btCollisionObject*' casts away qualifiers

// REPLACE THIS:
static_cast<SCollisionObjectIdentification*>(static_cast<btCollisionObject*>(contactManifold->getBody0())->getUserPointer());

// BY THIS: (Fix type: Removing Static cast - Result: 100% OK)
static_cast<SCollisionObjectIdentification*>((contactManifold->getBody0())->getUserPointer());
(Save all files (!!)... and compile it again...)

:arrow: 2nd ERROR: (...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\collisioncallbackinformation.cpp|30|error: static_cast from type 'const btCollisionObject*' to type 'btCollisionObject*' casts away qualifiers

// REPLACE THIS: 
static_cast<SCollisionObjectIdentification*>(static_cast<btCollisionObject*>(contactManifold->getBody1())->getUserPointer());

// BY THIS: (Fix type: Removing Static cast - Result: 100% OK)
static_cast<SCollisionObjectIdentification*>((contactManifold->getBody1())->getUserPointer());

:arrow: 3rd ERROR: (...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\kinematiccharactercontroller.cpp|30|error: no matching function for call to 'btKinematicCharacterController::reset()'

// REPLACE THIS:
Character->reset();

// BY THIS: (Fix type: I´ve disabled it - Result: Needs a correct fix!.. Works by now...)
// Character->reset();

:arrow: 4th ERROR: (...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\raycastvehicle.cpp|184|error: invalid conversion from 'const btRigidBody*' to 'btRigidBody*'

// REPLACE THIS:
btRigidBody* body = btRigidBody::upcast(rayCallback.m_collisionObject);

// BY THIS: (Fix type: Adding Constant cast - Result: 100% OK)
btRigidBody* body = const_cast<btRigidBody*>(btRigidBody::upcast(rayCallback.m_collisionObject)); 

:arrow: 5th ERROR: (...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\rigidbody.cpp|239|error: 'class btRigidBody' has no member named 'internalApplyImpulse'

// REPLACE THIS:
void IRigidBody::internalApplyImpulse(const vector3df& linearComponent,
    const vector3df &angularComponent, f32 impulseMagnitude, ERBTransformSpace linTransformSpace, ERBTransformSpace angTransformSpace)
{
    getPointer()->internalApplyImpulse((linTransformSpace==ERBTS_WORLD) ? irrlichtToBulletVector(linearComponent) :
        btVector3(getPointer()->getWorldTransform().getBasis()*irrlichtToBulletVector(linearComponent)),
        (angTransformSpace==ERBTS_WORLD) ? irrlichtToBulletVector(angularComponent) :
        btVector3(getPointer()->getWorldTransform().getBasis()*irrlichtToBulletVector(angularComponent)),
        btScalar(impulseMagnitude));
}

// BY THIS: (Fix type: I´ve changed it to the new Bullet class, where only 2 arguments are needed - Result: Needs a correct fix!... Works by now...)
void IRigidBody::internalApplyImpulse(const vector3df& linearComponent,
    const vector3df &angularComponent, f32 impulseMagnitude, ERBTransformSpace linTransformSpace, ERBTransformSpace angTransformSpace)
{
    getPointer()->applyImpulse((linTransformSpace==ERBTS_WORLD) ? irrlichtToBulletVector(linearComponent) :
        btVector3(getPointer()->getWorldTransform().getBasis()*irrlichtToBulletVector(linearComponent)),
        (angTransformSpace==ERBTS_WORLD) ? irrlichtToBulletVector(angularComponent) :
        btVector3(getPointer()->getWorldTransform().getBasis()*irrlichtToBulletVector(angularComponent)));
}

All done!
You should have now something like "irrBullet.dll" on your project´s bin folder (depends the name that you gave to this Code::Blocks project, your custom paths, etc, etc, etc)
Close this project.

Now, create your new "irrlicht" project:
Add links to:
(...)\irrlicht-1.8.1\include
(...)\irrBullet-0.1.8\source
Irrlicht.dll (and copy/paste it to where your "game.exe" is generated too, usually in the "bin" folder)
irrBullet.dll (and copy/paste it to where your "game.exe" is generated too, usually in the "bin" folder)

This "tutorial" was made as a starting point for lost souls, but since the author itself is an lost soul, edits, suggestions, ideas and irrBullet updates would be GREAT HELP!
I kept it as basic and as simple as I could, so we all could follow... Thanks! :roll:
Last edited by jorgerosa on Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thanhle

Post by thanhle »

Great stuff.
I hope soft physics works.

Regards
Thanh
emadof85

Post by emadof85 »

i want to use irrbullet with irrlicht wrapper in c# not in c++
how ?
is there any dll ??
sample code ?
thanhle

Post by thanhle »

The wrapper tends to be slow.
I get extreem lags when using just only 90 boxes.
All demo still works with 1.8.1.
Keziolio

Post by Keziolio »

On linux does not work!

I downloaded irrBullet, opened the codeblock project, fixed some issues to make it working (adding libraries and search directories), it works, it compiles with no errors, and it makes the "libirrBullet.a" file in the linux/Release directory

BUT, it's supposed to create also the bullet libraries (i think), (libbulletdynamics.a, libbulletsoftbody.a liblinearmath.a, libbulletcollision.a ), but it don't!

Why? It doesn't show any errors, how can i compile these libraries?

The makefile does not work.
thanhle

Post by thanhle »

Sorry I'm using visual studio. I don't have any experience in codeblock.

I hope you follows jorgerosa post to compile irrBullet as he described the method using codeblock.

Goodluck.
Christi258

Post by Christi258 »

I get for every include one error. For example from file (...)\bullet-2.82-r2704\src\BulletCollision\BroadphaseCollision\btAxisSweep3.h
#include "LinearMath/btVector3.h"
If I chane it to #include "../../LinearMath/btVector3.h" it works. But i don't want to change every include. What am I doing wrong?
jorgerosa
Competition winner

Post by jorgerosa »

In case would this could be useful for anyone else... (Im using MSWindows v.7 + Code::Blocks v.13.12)

How I´ve achived irrlicht v.1.8 + bullet v.3 + irrbullet v.0.1.8 to work together:

1) (BULLET DIRECTORY) Copy everything from "bullet3-master\src" to (IRRBULLET DIRECTORY) "irrBullet-0.1.8\source\Bullet"
(Create that "Bullet" directory there, it doesnt exists)

2) In my project i link to:
"..\MYLIBRARIES\irrBullet-0.1.8\source"
"..\MYLIBRARIES\irrBullet-0.1.8\source\Bullet"
"..\MYLIBRARIES\irrBullet-0.1.8\lib"
(Note that I dont need to link to BULLET lib itself at any time, I only need to link to IRRBULLET)

3) When compiling if it display errors caused by "GetTickCount64()", rename them in that BULLET files to "GetTickCount()", and save them.
4) When compiling if it display errors caused by "Bullet3OpenCL" content files, just remove that directory. (Located at "irrBullet-0.1.8\source\Bullet\Bullet3OpenCL")
5) When compiling if if display errors from IRRBULLET files, do as in my previous post.

After all this, your app should compile fine and become alive!
(Of course some physics stuff may be broken, bust most probably you will never needed that too)
(Better solutions would be welcome, anyways this one is how I´ve done it... And its working!... By now...)