Night of the Zombies [FPS game]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
arnir
Competition winner

Night of the Zombies [FPS game]

Post by arnir »

NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES is our first game.
It's first-person-shooter where you must survive endless waves of attacking zombies,
earning points that may be used to purchase weapons, unlock new areas etc.
Every next round, zombies become stronger, faster and more hungry!

More info, screens and download link on our site:
http://kilobytegames.wz.cz/
programmer is bad designer
designer is bad programmer
ACE247

Re: Night of the Zombies [FPS game]

Post by ACE247 »

Super Work! Downloading it Now :)
Edit: Will a Linux version be possible?
arnir
Competition winner

Post by arnir »

game running on OpenGl and all our code is still platform independent so: yes, Linux version will be possible, BUT we have no experience with Linux at all :oops:
but it's on my TODO list :wink:
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

If you need any, I can help you port to Linux ;)
Ps: this game is so awesome! In a way its better than Call of Duty Zombies. (Ok, the graphics not quite) :D
teto

Post by teto »

sadly crashed during startup. Couldn't even see menu or launch screen :x

I got windows 7 and ATI HD5730 radeon
Using trunk with mingw/gcc 4.6, Windows 7 64 bits driver opengl
DrSoggySocks

Post by DrSoggySocks »

This is awesome! This is going to be my time killer. I have 3 hours until next class :D
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Indeed the game is really nice, cool graphics and awesome, really good quality sound.
ACE247 wrote:Will a Linux version be possible?
Works fine under wine :)

By the way, I found one bug. Check this gate marked on the screenshot: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3632/scr ... 203113.png
I found that the zombies can freely pass it even if it is closed. I think it's some path finding issue, because a zombie decided to go through this closed gate because it was the closes way to arrive to me.
arnir
Competition winner

Post by arnir »

ACE247 wrote:If you need any, I can help you port to Linux ;)
Ps: this game is so awesome! In a way its better than Call of Duty Zombies. (Ok, the graphics not quite) :D
Port to linux is not an actual issue until we make changes that we planing. :wink: stay tuned
teto wrote:sadly crashed during startup. Couldn't even see menu or launch screen :x

I got windows 7 and ATI HD5730 radeon
The game is still work-in-progress, but now, I can't say you how to fix it :?
kazymjir wrote: By the way, I found one bug. Check this gate marked on the screenshot: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3632/scr ... 203113.png
I found that the zombies can freely pass it even if it is closed. I think it's some path finding issue, because a zombie decided to go through this closed gate because it was the closes way to arrive to me.
Thanks for report, I know about path-finding issues and how I said, many things in the game will be reworked. :wink:
hendu

Post by hendu »

I had a couple hours of fun with this :)

Beyond the obvious (climbing animation, board-removing animation), some suggestions:
- hitboxes seem to be way off when they're climbing, clear headshots either miss or register as body shots
- I wanted a place to buy pistol ammo
- ground could use some more variation
- at one point, five zombies got stuck in the outer fence corner. I was wondering why nothing was happening, and a new wave wasn't coming either - the five remaining ones were all stuck outside ;)
- related to above, tried to kill them with a grenade, but it disappeared outside
- the center trees are clearly made of two parts, when a bit farther you can see a horizontal line
- looking forward to being able to enter the buildings, etc

Relaying feedback from a friend:
- the time between waves is too long
- could use some small interactivity, like being able to shoot the car lights
- a way to change the resolution, more graphics settings in general
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

- looking forward to being able to enter the buildings, etc
Yeah, hiding in some building, firing from a window would be awesome.
- the time between waves is too long
Imo it's good, but what would be better is time limit of the waves. You can "cheat" on every end of a wave by leaving one zombie alive, then going repair all barricades, buy ammo/weapons etc, then kill him to begin next wave being armed and protected. With waves with time limit that would be not possible.
- could use some small interactivity, like being able to shoot the car lights
Imo that is not the best idea for a game like this. This is a simple shooter game, adding more and more complexity can make the game less fun. In shooters you need shooting, shooting and in break of shooting - shooting!
By the way it reminds me comments about GTA: San Andres, where they added things like gym, barber, restaurants, etc: "New GTA is not GTA, but The Sims" :P

From my ideas, there could be better synchronization of walking speed and walking animation. While on the first wave the zombie's movement and animation looks natural, on higher waves when they move faster it not looks good. Also, it's very misleading, when you see in a far distance a zombie that moves his legs slowly you think he also moves slowly. You turn back to buy weapon/repair barricade and after two seconds he is eating your brain from behind :P

There is one thing I like the most in this game: the zombie's shirts :D
hendu

Post by hendu »

I was going to say I love the shirts too, but forgot :P
Imo that is not the best idea for a game like this. This is a simple shooter game, adding more and more complexity can make the game less fun. In shooters you need shooting, shooting and in break of shooting - shooting!
Yeah, I don't mean go full simulation-mode. Things you can shoot is enough - lights mainly, perhaps the well handle, etc. Rather helps immersion.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

You mean basic physics? I sure would love to be able to throw at and have more stuff to fight the zombies!(for example with the environment itself) Also when can we expect to open the front gate and put the field of zombies on fire Hahaha! :D
hendu

Post by hendu »

Oh and bodies, that was one on my friend's list, but I forgot to mention that too. He wanted a big pile of dead zombies on the ground ;)
arnir
Competition winner

Post by arnir »

zombie shirts
zombie shirts are made by my girlfriend :) there are 30 unique textures for them (30 is maximum of zombies at one time, so every zombie has different shirt 8) )

animations
synchronization of walking speed and animation will be fixed, but we must just make some new animations for run.
I think the climb animation is fine :wink: (I made it :lol: )

physics/graphics improvement
I want everything in NOTZ to be polished, so if I would did it well, it will be there. Actually working on some shaders.

bodies on the ground
If it doesn't slow down the game, it will be there

the time between waves is too long
I think its just right and I don't understand your 'time-limit' idea :?

Pathfinding
pathfinding is still an issue, its slow and sometimes inaccurate (repathing less often than it would need). Now I'am using waypoint network (automaticaly generated) and A* pathfinding, but I was thinking about navmeshes. Recast or something mine

place to buy pistol ammo
I think it's not needed at all. You can get weapons off the walls and random-weapon from the box.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

A bigger Map, or another map would be fun too. And are there plans for Multiplayer?