GL extension for GPU skinning

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
REDDemon
Developer

GL extension for GPU skinning

Post by REDDemon »

Ehy does anyone know wich is the GL extension for doing GPU based characters animations? Or it has to be done with shaders?
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Re: GL extension for GPU skinning

Post by hybrid »

There's also the matrix array or something like that. It's a prominent extension for OpenGL-ES 1.x, which lacks shader support. So this extension is the only way for GPU based animation. But it should be available in vanilla opengl as well. Otherwise shaders are required.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

hybrid wrote:There's also the matrix array or something like that. It's a prominent extension for OpenGL-ES 1.x, which lacks shader support. So this extension is the only way for GPU based animation. But it should be available in vanilla opengl as well. Otherwise shaders are required.
Are you serious.? Are you trying to say that Khronos group never thinked about skinned models since OpenGL born? LOL
That's a lot funny
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hmm? Khronos is only responsible for a few years now, so they probably didn't think about it from the beginning. You're right so far. However, I already told you about two ways to support hw skinning. Either uploading several matrices and render vertices under a choice of those transformations, or executing the transformation in shaders from data taken from anywhere available to the shader. The matrix stack is an ARB extension since 2000, but I don't know if it was promoted to core at any time. Vertex shaders are core supported for a very long time now. So what do you want to know, AFAICS I gave you all the information you wanted.