irrBullet 0.1.8 - Bullet physics wrapper

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
cobra

irrBullet 0.1.8 - Bullet physics wrapper

Post by cobra »

irrBullet is an easy to use and powerful Irrlicht-Bullet wrapper that not only makes it easy to use Bullet with your Irrlicht projects, but makes it easy to use physics in general with your Irrlicht project so you can focus more on the gameplay and not how to implement the physics.

It is, in fact, a high-level physics extension library and wrapper.

It contains many advanced features that will give your Irrlicht project the best physics currently available, and in much less development time than other ways.

irrBullet includes countless amounts of unique additions and interfaces to the traditional way of using Bullet physics. This means you get more high-level features, and a much easier way to use this excellent physics engine.

It was designed to be the back-bone of a game; this is the main reason it is built with an attribute/property-style design.

Also used are "affectors," which work just like Irrlicht scene node animators. These can be used to do anything to one rigid body, so you can make your own affectors for your games.

It is completely capable of being used in advanced game development. I assure you; it is being used in my own large combat game project!

Download link:
http://www.skyreignsoftware.com/product/irrbullet

SVN:
Root:
https://irrbullet.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/irrbullet
--
Trunk:
https://irrbullet.svn.sourceforge.net/s ... llet/trunk

What's new?
http://www.skyreignsoftware.com/resourc ... -whats-new

After downloading irrBullet, be sure to read the Doxygen documentation, readme.txt, and refer to the FAQ list before asking any questions.
Last edited by cobra on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Josiah Hartzell
cobra

Post by cobra »

Updated to 0.1.1

Please read all of the above, the information is all new for this release. It is now ready for use in games/simulations.

It has a lot of easy-to-use functions that aren't included in Bullet to make using with Irrlicht, or even general game physics, even easier. Please see the demo and the source code and tell me what you think.
Josiah Hartzell
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

wow great looking stuff, i'll try and get you a linux port as asked asap.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Pretty cool, this will make physics programming easier
anoki

Post by anoki »

Looks really great !
Irrlicht and Bullet is a great combination ...
cobra

Post by cobra »

Thank you guys. :)

@anoki: Yes, I love working with Bullet and Irrlicht.. they are two really great engines.

The upcoming 0.1.4 release will include many fixes, features, and cool functions specific to game design. It also includes optimizations, some very good ones provided by randomMesh, and a couple API changes.
Josiah Hartzell
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Something really bad happens in the example. :S When all cubes fall down I got constant freezes every second (I mean fps drop down to 0 then goes back up to 93+-). :?
cobra

Post by cobra »

Hi. Thanks for replying. Yeah, this is a known issue. It's a Bullet-related one, actually. It's the 200 cube shapes all active at one time, colliding with eachother + the terrain that cause the performance issue. I don't think triangle mesh shapes have that performance problem.

I changed it so that the cube shapes have a small buffer between them so they are not colliding while they are falling. That registers the collisions and thus takes away some speed.

I'll be working on getting the physics running on the GPU with CUDA in future examples, it should be faster.

randomMesh also gave me optimized placement code for the motion states, so that was a significant increase in performance. Stick around for 0.1.4! There are lots of new features and optimizations.
Josiah Hartzell
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

And I am talking not about staying at 1 fps for some time, it's jumping like 1-83-1-90-1-42-1-80 every second :)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Yea Its freezing a lot :)
And I also threw few cubes trough the mesh (ground) :lol:

Keep working and maybe it will become best physics wrapper available here :twisted:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
cobra

Post by cobra »

About the cubes tunneling through terrain, that's nothing I can fix. That's an internal Bullet thing. It's only because a cube has 4 points. You won't encounter that with any other shape that can do accurate measuring when it has impacted something at high speed, because they have more points (vertices) to check collision with. If it has tunneled more than 50% into a mesh, it will be shot right through. The cube can't calculate that for the whole center of it, so tunneling will occur often at high speeds.

You can also set the CCD values to avoid tunneling if you happen to encounter this with a tri-mesh or other shapes. Boxes are just too lightly detailed for being fast moving objects when they collide at strange angles and/or get an edge collision. :)

CCD doesn't really have an effect on cubes, either.

btw: a subdivided cube wouldn't have this problem, especially if you allowed CCD on it.
Josiah Hartzell
cobra

Post by cobra »

Okay. After the long wait, irrBullet 0.1.4 is finally released. It may be a little pre-mature, though. But it's still a huge improvement over 0.1.1, and has 3 examples and much better code.

You can get it at the sourceforge project page.
Josiah Hartzell
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

You may be able to edit the topic title to reflect the new version.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Does the wrapper support the vehicle physics of bullet yet?
cobra

Post by cobra »

GameDude wrote:Does the wrapper support the vehicle physics of bullet yet?
Yes, it supports the raycast vehicle. In future versions will be included the actual "physical-wheeled" vehicle, using real cylinder shapes attached to an object using constraints for more realistic vehicles for this like NASCAR games.

d3jake wrote:You may be able to edit the topic title to reflect the new version.
Thanks for the catch, buddy; fixed.

So, this release may be just a bit pre-mature. I may be working on 0.1.5 now for any little nit-picks that I need to fix. Then I can begin working on more features and examples.

Keep an eye out for the future releases!
Last edited by cobra on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josiah Hartzell