Zenja, I get the impression you have a limited view as to what can/should be part of Irrlicht. And I suspect that if you search the forums for your features you'll find people asking for and providing much of the features you mention. But I'll go down your list and mention my thoughts...
Zenja wrote:FuzzySpoon, thanks for the template code (very well documented, thank you). Worked like a charm after a complete rebuilt, and I can now run Irrlicht on the simulator and on the device.
- Freetype fonts via FTGL, modified for GLES.
I've seen an extension for FT fonts floating around the forums. And I would personally like to have it. And it's been on my TODO list for a lonf time now.
- PVRTextureCompression via Oolong
It's been mentioned various times, and there are plans to have it. But it requires some extensive changes to Irrlicht in regards to handling hardware optimized textures.
- Alpha sorted branch in scene graph which works well with tile based renderer.
I implement something like that in my Irrlicht based framework for HUD like things. So there's at least one use case
- iPhone platform support (touches/accelerator/rendering thread (20% speed boost), cross platform locks, message ports, etc)
Touches/accelerator: Definitely people want this. I personally don't as I prefer my own event system for this. But anything that makes it easier for people to use the input system is good.
Rendering thread: That's what I currently do with Irrlicht. There's some extra functionality in the port that helps one switch the GLES rendering context from one thread to another which is the basic feature required.
- Landscape orientation (90 rotation) - quite a number of changes to camera, skydomes, input processing etc. are needed for Landscape orientation.
Not sure how much is in there and working at the moment.
- All 2D elements use percentage based positions, so it looks the same at 1680x1050 and 320x480 or 480x320.
I do that on top of the Irrlicht layer. So not sure people want this in Irrlicht.
- OpenAL and OggVorbis stream support.
There's a few solutions for OpenAL, and other, audio with Irrlicht. But I suspect that it has to stay "separate" to keep the modularity of the rendering engine.
- cross platform, so all development done under Visual Studio, while final testing done on device.
- tuned for OpenGL ES1.1
Always looking for better frame rates
- custom physics engine
Lots of extensions for this one