youTube removed example 5 video because of copyright...

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
veegun

youTube removed example 5 video because of copyright...

Post by veegun »

I was shocked to find an email from youtube claiming that the irrlicht example 5 video infringed on viacom's copyright.

I haven't a clue what it is that's in the example 5 video that viacom owns. Maybe they own the user-interface of irrlicht? :(

Here's the full email:

Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Viacom International Inc. claiming that this material is infringing:

Example 05: User Interface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4x7MsNVl0w

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to avoid future strikes against your account, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.

If you elect to send us a counter notice, to be effective it must be a written communication provided to our designated agent that includes substantially the following (please consult your legal counsel or see 17 U.S.C. Section 512(g)(3) to confirm these requirements):
A physical or electronic signature of the subscriber.
Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
A statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
The subscriber's name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriberis address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the subscriber will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subsection (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person.

Such written notice should be sent to our designated agent as follows:

DMCA Complaints
YouTube, Inc.
1000 Cherry Ave.
Second Floor
San Bruno, CA 94066
Email: copyright@youtube.com

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.

Sincerely,
YouTube, Inc.
kornerr

Post by kornerr »

i'd like viacom to kiss my a$$
Open Source all the way, baby ;)
OSRPG
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

f*ck viacom and f*ck the stupid dmca!!!
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hm, they called you a thief in front of the whole webcommunity without a good reason. They are trying to destroy your online reputation. I'd say : SUE 'EM ALL!
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Surely this is just a mistake? Perhaps the Complainant has a bot that scans for infringement and found a "false positive". Of course, the problem for us is that we now can't access the video in order to try and determine what was causing the infringement. :wink:

I wonder if this a naming issue (the video's name), a content issue (what you recorded) or an encoding issue (the codec used to encode the video)? Only the third one seems likely...
sudi

Post by sudi »

Can't u just ask them what their problem is?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Sudi wrote:Can't u just ask them what their problem is?
Bitplane already did, waiting for a reply. This can get interesting, and I hope that this was a mistake. Fortunately it wasn't one of the more important videos :)
SiriusCG

Post by SiriusCG »

Interesting... The fact that they did not specify *what* caused the infringement in their notice seems suspect to me... :?
Nodtveidt

Post by Nodtveidt »

It was probably a mistake; humans make mistakes sometimes. But it was likely a mistake made by human laziness, which is quite inexcusable.
We all live in a yellow subroutine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

This totally sux! :twisted: :twisted: What can they claim of a user interface? Or has anyone seen such thing being used in one of their games? They should at least post a screenshot showing how much Irrlicht's copying theirs. These guys don't even know Irrlicht's written completely from scratch and all its code and contents are totally original creations focused on an open-source project!

This totally sux!
noreg

Post by noreg »

A sure sign, that they are massively exaggerating with their copyright issues. My best guess is, that this is related to some music group named Irrlicht and this is the long stinking arm of the MI.
I am afraid i am darn right. They don't even check the content the lazy bastards.
SiriusCG

Post by SiriusCG »

Considering that youtube has come under fire recently for other posted content, it might be wise to consider http://www.vsocial.com instead... :wink:
My best guess is, that this is related to some music group named Irrlicht
I would disagree, otherwise, it would become a *name* issue and I assume that would cause all the other "Irrlicht" videos on the site to become suspect as well.

It's all speculation until Bitplane gets a response anyway...
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

screw the video it's an obvious mistake

the interface is in overhual anyways make a new one later stop wasting time on this.
trunks14

Post by trunks14 »

let's all send trillions of emails to viacom
Not yet.
Zitzu

Post by Zitzu »

So now we all know what it means when they say on the TV news "Viacom found 100000 videos on YouTube which infringes their copyrights": simply bullsh1t!