Sidra, 2D adventure/RPG game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
MacK

Sidra, 2D adventure/RPG game

Post by MacK »

Project Name:
Sidra

Our Team:
Frosty
He's designing the engine using Irrlicht.

MacK (Me!)
I'm designing the tools in C# (Level Editor, named Sidra Studio), and assisting in the engine.

Our Goals
The game we designing will have a graphical style of Zelda:LTTP (but better, more modern theme). After we release a few versions (say around 1.2) our goal is to start implementing multiplayer using RakNet, www.rakkarsoft.com

Programming
The graphical engine will be powered by Irrlicht. We decided on Irrlicht because it's allowing us to create a faster game without having to design our own drawing methods (yes, I know, it's 2D). Irrlicht is turning out to be a very nice engine.

Our game engine and server will be programmed in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. The level editor (Sidra Studio) is being developed in C# using Irrlicht.NET.

Contact us, and help out!
If our project interests you, we are currently looking for one more experienced C++ programmer.

Who we need
C++ Programmer - Experienced with C++ and Irrlicht (enough to pick it up and go)

Pixel Gfx Artist - We have a basic tileset that someone created for us, but I'd like to get rid of it completely and start over with a less cartoonish feel and a more darker theme tileset (realistic, I guess)

GUI Designer - We need someone to help us with our website (my gfx artist disappeared), and to design basically anything. I really need someone good at Photoshop, since that's what I use.

I will keep everyone up to date on this project!

Edit: If you want to help out, we do have a very limited *tech* demo to show that we're working hard. Just e-mail me.
Last edited by MacK on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Interesting, not many people would use Irrlicht for a 2D game. I think Magic2D library will help with this, look through previous project announcement posts. Although it may not work with newest Irrlicht, try emailing the author for that (He is busy working on an OGRE version so he is not in Irrlicht forums much).

About RakNet, the only decent advantage it has over completely free librarys like Enet and Boost::Asio is its voice feature. So I recommend trying those out first incase you decide to go commercial later on (Which will incure a MINIMUM of 100 dollars for RakNet). If your game is simple enough you can give my irrNet framework a try, although its still in early stages and is more for ease of use rather than control. Since you are not using physics or anything this may not be a problem though.

Anyway I love Zelda games, and work on a Zelda-ish mmorpg I have already seen somewhere else (I am helping them with it) but that is based more on WindWaker graphics rather than old-skool, they are also using Irrlicht.

Here is the link to their forums if you are interested maybe: http://www.rs-anime.com/forum/index.php (The game is called Rising Tide Online)

Cheers and good luck :D
MacK

Post by MacK »

BlindSide wrote:Interesting, not many people would use Irrlicht for a 2D game. I think Magic2D library will help with this, look through previous project announcement posts. Although it may not work with newest Irrlicht, try emailing the author for that (He is busy working on an OGRE version so he is not in Irrlicht forums much).

About RakNet, the only decent advantage it has over completely free librarys like Enet and Boost::Asio is its voice feature. So I recommend trying those out first incase you decide to go commercial later on (Which will incure a MINIMUM of 100 dollars for RakNet). If your game is simple enough you can give my irrNet framework a try, although its still in early stages and is more for ease of use rather than control. Since you are not using physics or anything this may not be a problem though.

Anyway I love Zelda games, and work on a Zelda-ish mmorpg I have already seen somewhere else (I am helping them with it) but that is based more on WindWaker graphics rather than old-skool, they are also using Irrlicht.

Here is the link to their forums if you are interested maybe: http://www.rs-anime.com/forum/index.php (The game is called Rising Tide Online)

Cheers and good luck :D
Thanks! We decided to use Irrlicht for now, and probably later we will redesign our own rendering system.

I've been watching RakNet for awhile. But for now we're aiming towards a single player game, which by then we may just design our own networking or use something similar to RakNet. If we were to go commercial, I'm sure we'd probably just hire more people and design everything ourselves.

We plan on supporting 100+ players at a given time for multiplayer also so we really need a fast network library.

Thanks for your comments ;)