pure .NET version of engine for download

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
alxkolm

pure .NET version of engine for download

Post by alxkolm »

Hello.
Sorry, my english poor.

Why not add for downloading pure .NET version of engine, because full release pack very big for me and I'm need only .NET assemblyes and .NET doc (and irrlicht dll).
Foole

Post by Foole »

I guess because it would be a lot of work and would appeal to a smaller audience. Bear in mind there is over 2 meg of source and over 130 classes in the C++ version.

However, if enough people are interested, I don't mind putting some effort into it. I'd really like to be able to write image and mesh loaders in C#.
ew

Post by ew »

by all means please continue with your interest. I would be very happy to see a a pure c# version or irrlicht

Post by Guest »

I'm willing to help out.
austcro

Post by austcro »

If this is can be organised amongst a few IrrEnthusiasts, then I would be interested in providing some effort towards the port.

Regards,

Steve
Deis

Post by Deis »

While a novel idea, it would become something totally seperate from Irrlicht to forgo the wrapper and write the code purely in .net using managed DX and opengl. So it sort of would not be Irrlicht related because it would be a whole rewrite.
austcro

Post by austcro »

Just because it is a whole rewrite doesn't make it unrelated to irrlicht. I like this idea alot. The wrapper in my opinion is incovenient. If I'm using .NET to write my app, I would like to use any and all features of .NET as it stands today. This includes the ability to write my own scenenodes in .NET without having to muck around with the wrapper assembly. Its this and a few other things that annoy me most about irrlicht. Otherwise, it's great.

For example, look at ogre, and it's .NET port axiom. Even though axiom is not ogre and vice versa, axiom is still considered to be related to ogre. The issue then becomes whether momentum can be maintained and features from irrlicht can be ported promptly over to .NET as Niko makes them available.

Post by Guest »

a pure .NET engine would be great. :!:
Foole

Post by Foole »

I've made a start on this. I'm implementing the bare minimum of functionality using Tao.SDL and Tao.OpenGL. I'm calling it IrrlichtSharp.

If/When I get it to a basic working state, I'll try to set up a source control repository so others can contribute. It's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Post by Guest »

@Foole
Are there any news about the state?
What did you implement so far?
Foole

Post by Foole »

Well I put several hours work into it.. got some basic classes and structs written up, wrote a test program and... I see nothing. I have no idea why.

I wrote enough to create a test scene node and render it in OpenGL. If someone can give me somewhere to put it, I can rar up the source for someone else to take over.
coolsummer

Post by coolsummer »

@Foole:

you can send me your results and i put them on my webserver.
My Mail is coolsummer[at]coolsummer.de

Andi
coolsummer

Post by coolsummer »

thx Foole for sending me your results.
I uploaded them to my server

Here is the link: http://www.suche-lehre.de/irrlicht/Irrl ... -0.0.1.rar

Currently im working on an other project so i don´t have the time to look why your engine doesn´t work. In a week or two the project should be finished so i can take over your source code

Andi
MrPotatoes

Post by MrPotatoes »

i dunno why .NET is important. don't get me wrong i have the framework on here and i've got VS.NET and program in C++ (that's how i foung this awesome API) but i wouldn't make a DL for just that. if anything IMO it should be added in like OpenGL and DirectX. they work together. that would be sweet
Foole

Post by Foole »

i dunno why .NET is important. don't get me wrong i have the framework on here and i've got VS.NET and program in C++ (that's how i foung this awesome API) but i wouldn't make a DL for just that.
.NET is important to me because it makes programming easier and makes my time more productive.

Unfortunately, if I want to get the most out of Irrlicht, I have to use C++. To me, that's a problem and it's an avoidable problem. I used C and C++ for many years before I learned C#, but I can't go back.
if anything IMO it should be added in like OpenGL and DirectX. they work together. that would be sweet
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. How can you add .NET support in a similar way to OpenGL and DirectX?