pure .NET version of engine for download

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

Alright! :wink: I know I'm ready to go! Sounds like your rockin' pretty good with the code. I can't wait to see what's in store!
3D in .NET - Who would've guessed!
austcro

Post by austcro »

Valnarus wrote:You mean we actually get to see the code we're gonna help develop? <chuckle> That sounds like a good idea austcro. Let's get this show on the road.
Why of course! You were anyway. I just don't want to put it in the CVS until we're all happy with it. But there's likely to be bugs so don't hold your breath yet the_bob. I'm building a house at the moment so irr# is sorta taking a lower priority. I'm gonna start emailing you guys through sourceforge so we can coordinate this show in a big way without having to post here.

The Null, and OpenGL driver is done, but I keep looking back over it and thinking there must be a better way. It's now working with the example foole put together. I didn't put in any SDL by the way. I kept the dependencies down to a minimum. I'm gonna try to put together some more tests as a sanity check first. Expect it within the week.
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

*GASP* Good thing you said something. I was starting to turn blue. :lol:

I understand how busy things can get. I have a family myself, so things keep pretty busy around here without building new houses. I know a few people who've done that, and it sounds like quite an undertaking.

I agree that the dependencies should be kept to a minimum. It sounds like you're right on track with the development! I'll be happy to be able to start looking at your code when you're ready. I made sure I had the latest nDoc, and I'll start getting up to speed with that in the meantime.

I see nDoc isn't quite totally compatible with .net 2.0 yet (I guess they're having a few issues with generics). They have some info about this, but there wiki is currently down. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find more about this.

For our inter-team communication, if you or braneloc get a chance to get the forums fired up, I think that a Development topic on there would be a great way for us to all stay up to date with what eachother is doing. That's just my two cents, though.
buhatkj

why wait for CVS

Post by buhatkj »

i dunno, If i were you id go ahead and put it up in the cvs even if its not pretty or complete yet. i think people usually understand that CVS checkouts of code may not be fully functional. There are enough people on here that might casually pitch in here and there if they had a chance to see the code, they might post in here and help you out on an on-and-off basis. quick bugfixes and the like yknow?
I know i would. I'm not a huge c# guy, but my vb.net is pretty sharp, since i basically do it all day at work. :wink:
I might be able to help here and there.
* looks forward to code! *
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
Braneloc

Post by Braneloc »

Web, Forum and Wiki are now online.

Can I rest now ?
Please ?

http://irrlichtsharp.sourceforge.net/
Sometimes you've just gotta say, the laws of time and space, who gives a smeg ?!

Irrlicht.Net Information - http://www.irrforge.org/index.php/.net
Irrlicht# (aka the C# port) - http://irrlichtsharp.sourceforge.net
austcro

Post by austcro »

*winds up whip* :D

Thanks for getting that stuff up Braneloc. I guess I'll see you all over there.
Silbermünze

Post by Silbermünze »

I would be interested in the work you have done so far and see what functionality it misses and what not, as I am currently investigating in the .NET wrapper of Irrlicht, which seesm to lack some important functionalities from the C++ version.

Unfortunately it seesm you don't have any source or binaries on the website.
Is it possible that you place the binaries there or at least fill the CVS so I can get an anonymous checkout to test it?
coolsummer

Post by coolsummer »

hi,

im waiting for the sources too, to see what is already done and still missing functions

Andi
noone88

DirectX

Post by noone88 »

It would be cool if the engine would only use managed DirectX - I think this solution would be much cleaner...

What have you planned to do so far?

Go on with you work... I think this would be the first really good engine in .Net :D
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

Silbermünze - I haven't seen the code yet either but from the way austcro explains what he's done so far this is still a small percentage of what Irrlicht can do. On the bright side there are 3 or 4 developers waiting to rapidly close that gap as soon as the code is available for us to add to.

austcro wants the team to look at what he's got so far before he puts the code in CVS but hopefully it will be available within the next few days.

noone88 - The DirectX plan hasn't been discussed yet but IMO it would only make sense that we use only managed code since this is supposed to be a .NET version.

Feel free to visit http://IrrlichtSharp.SourceForge.net/ and post your questions and suggestions. Now that the site is operational we will likely check this thread less and less often.
noone88

Post by noone88 »

The DirectX plan hasn't been discussed yet but IMO it would only make sense that we use only managed code since this is supposed to be a .NET version.
Of course... but it would be also possible to use a wrapper for openGl (the tao project has one)....

But it would be nice if Irrlicht# wouldn't need any other dlls or files - just like Irrlicht :)
Valnarus

Post by Valnarus »

austcro said:
I didn't put in any SDL by the way. I kept the dependencies down to a minimum.
Not sure if he means there are no extra dependencies due to OpenGL but I'd like to believe that. Both him and the_bob want to keep the dependencies minimal like Irrlicht.
buhatkj

dependencies

Post by buhatkj »

dependencies are OK, if you include them in your distribution. That way It's easy to get going.
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
ew

graphics and design support

Post by ew »

Well. Im a 3D graphics/animator turned C# programmer(still a noob). I have a selfish interest in seeing irrlicht# succeed because of the simulation project I want to develop. The cheaper I can get there the better. Im using C# Express 2005 and am currently working part-time at bootstrapping a micro ISV. This absolutely takes up the majority of my free time, however, I will volunteer to be the lead graphics person for this project if there really is a sense of us actually seeing this through.

Here's what I can contribute:

-Website design and maintenance
-3D graphics content...models, animations (at a very limited capacity)

I also have a degree in Technical Communication so writing documentation is something I did to feed myself in the past. Not really into it now, but clear documentation is absolutely critical in any project. So maybe I can lend some support in this area as well...but we'll see.

So where are we at exactly?
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

ew,

I know Valnarus mentioned this before, but most of the discussion for this project is now on the main IrrlichtSharp website.

So far, braneloc has been doing a great job with the web programming end of things. We have a wiki setup as the main site with links to the project's forums, and once the code is far enough along, we'll be posting the API documentation.

3d content and examples would be a great contribution. If you want to start working on content now, perhaps you would be able to use them in some examples once the code becomes stable enough.

Any tutorials you would eventually contribute would be a great addition to the wiki, too.

Thanks for the offer, and head on over to http://irrlichtsharp.sourceforge.net to get more of a picture of where things stand.