I have a few questions. Can I borrow a moment?

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
smoth

I have a few questions. Can I borrow a moment?

Post by smoth »

I am smoth a mod-maker, I have been a member of 2 different teams and have been a heavy contributor for 4 mods and a minor contributor to many others. I am a senior in computer science and am capable in both code and art for games. I hope that this at least shows that you do not have to worry about extremely beginner questions.

As a senior in computer science I chose a game as my final project and in a month I could not generate something worthwhile so I am starting early. I have a team who is very new to any kind of game code and they are willing to learn so that is always good. We are thinking of using .net because the api will help them learn a little faster. I have many questions as this is the first time I am starting at just the level of an engine. So if someone doesn't mind could one of you clarify a few things?

First question, I have read on this site that the .net support for irrlicht is limited... what do they mean?

Second question, we can use multitexturing, how many textures can we use?

third question, does bump mapping work if say we are using multitexturing for team colors?

I know this is really noobish but I have never taken this leap before and as my computer science professors always tell me, ask because someone else may already know and you could be waisting your time.
Martins

Post by Martins »

Regarding .NET support. You can do many things that are possible
in C++ version, but some not. And you have to think of workarounds.

What I have noticed this far. You cannot:
*) Create custom scene nodes (only load from supported formats)
*) IVideoModeList is not accessible
*) ITexture.regenerateMipMapLevels() is not present
*) Cannot create your own animator

Basically you cannot inherit many types, since their constructor
needs a reference to native C++ type. But most of this
has workarounds :)

I am not sure, but you can use max 2 textures. But the second one
is for some speciall effects like bump mapping, etc.

3. I don't get it
smoth

Post by smoth »

in a game like armored core you can specify many colors, I always assumed this was some sort of multitexturing application with 3 textures for the areas that can have their color modified. I may be wrong but it is just a guess...

in the game I want to make, I want to have 3 areas that can be set to separate colors along with normal-mapping and possible reflections.

This is my first time with this sort of thing so if I have written the wrong terms feel free to correct me.

I also wanted to know if there was a way to get bloom effects, similar to the ones used in halo1,2 and hl2.