[no bug]OpenGL problems with newest AMD drivers

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
csg

[no bug]OpenGL problems with newest AMD drivers

Post by csg »

Hi Guys,

I've updated my AMD Cataclyst today and got some errors ( z-buffer? ) in my programs. I'm using a Radeon HD 7770.

Objects close to each other seems to be racing in the zbuffer. The marked areas are moving, if the camera translates.
Nothing changed in my code and all was okay with the older drivers. I've tested it and got the same errors in the Irrlicht examples.

this only happens with openGL, direct3d works just fine as before. I'm using Irrlicht 1.8.1 under Windows 8.1

Any ideas?
christianclavet

Re: OpenGL problems with newest AMD drivers

Post by christianclavet »

Seen that problem with Intel drivers often. It's a clipping problem probably caused with the depth buffer (or zbuffer). ATI (also is Intel) is really bad in OPENGL on Windows, they put their full attention on DirectX first then look later at GL. You should also report this to AMD.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Irrlicht uses 16 bit ZBuffer by default (SIrrlichtCreationParameters). We should change that to 24 and all will work properly.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
csg

Post by csg »

Indeed, changing the ZBuffer bits to 24 fixes the problem. Thanks!
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

I changed default value for ZBuffer from 16 to 24 in trunk.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes