bug with large textures

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
thomas

bug with large textures

Post by thomas »

When i try to load a mesh with a 24 bit TGA texture which size is (1024,1024), the display is not correct. It works good if i downsize my texture to (256,256).
PadrinatoR

Post by PadrinatoR »

Perhaps your graphics card doesn't support that texture size. And I think that TGA support isn't completed yet. Check the Develpment section ;)
There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

--------------------------------------------

thomas

Post by thomas »

i have a geforceFX 5600 with up to date drivers, i just tried the same test with a jpg texture and i still have the same problem...
PadrinatoR

Post by PadrinatoR »

Then your graphics card is enough to load huge textures, but I think Irrlicht is limited, because if you try to load a mesh with lots of vertices, it crashes too.
Perhaps Niko can answer us :D
There are only 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

@thomas: What 3d hardware do you use? Would be interesting.

About the crashes with big meshes (wow, that rhymes): It depends on the file format you are reading from. Is it .3ds?
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi again

I'm using a geForceFx 5600 with 53.03 drivers under XP, i have the problem with all drivers OpenGL DirectX and software.
In fact i'm developping a maya plugin to be able to export geometry, skinning and blendshapes, so i'm using a custom mesh implementation derived from IAnimatedMesh, IMesh and IMeshBuffer, like the ms3D format implementation. i'm loading textures using the video::IVideoDriver::getTexture method. when i trace into irrlicht code, everything seams ok, my texture is converted to 16bits, mipmaps are generated and so on, but the display is not correct with 1024,1024,24 bits textures, like if the UV mapping was scaled or something. When i downsize the texture, it becomes ok. It makes me think that my UV values are correct and that it is independant to the vertex count problem...
I will try to find time to check it.
PadrinatoR

Post by PadrinatoR »

niko wrote:About the crashes with big meshes (wow, that rhymes): It depends on the file format you are reading from. Is it .3ds?
Yes, it is. I thought that I have tested another format, but I have tried to load this mesh exported to a x file and it works!!!