why does quake2map example and others connect to the net?

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
Wolf Dreamer

why does quake2map example and others connect to the net?

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

Unzip Irrlicht 0.6, check the bin/VisualStudios/ directory and run Quake3Map.exe.

Zonealarm says it is trying to connect to the internet.

H:\irrlicht-0.6\bin\VisualStudio\Quake3Map.exe

Why would it do that? It hasn't before.
The last sane human being in a world gone mad

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Game_Maker_f ... hp?act=idx
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I would amagin that it was not the demo but rather visual studio doing something and zone alarm was fooled somehow.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I would amagin that it was not the demo but rather visual studio doing something and zone alarm was fooled somehow.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Trying it with Kerio: nope, none of those apps are trying to connect anywhere... are you sure ZoneAlarm is sane? ;)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

stoffe wrote:... are you sure ZoneAlarm is sane? ;)
I asked myself the same question. :)
Hey, you've got the source and can recompile the demo if you like. I did not know that Irrlicht has already Network-support built in. :)
Tj

Post by Tj »

When I run the Techdemo and select the DirectX8 device, my firewall reports its trying to connect to the internet.

But when I select the OpenGL device it just runs as 0.5 did.

I use Agnitum Outpost as firewall so if ZoneAlarm is unsane, this one is unsane too.

As I don't have VS installed if seems odd that Visual Studio is causing this problem.
Boz the virtual being

Post by Boz the virtual being »

Techdemo is a troyan! I knew it! :)

Maybe it is Internet Explorer that does something, I remember I had some problems of this kind. Try changing the 'connections' settings in Explorers 'Internet Options'.
Wolf Dreamer

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

I connect through Bellsouth DSL homeportal. The connection options in Internet Explorer don't seem valid.

I use Windows XP. Does anyone else with Windows XP not have a problem, or those without it have one? Maybe its responsible somehow.

When something goes wrong on a computer, there is a 99% chance its Microsoft's fault. :)

Could DirectX8 be accessed in such a way that would make it connect to the net through the program using it?

I did some searching and found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;810202

So there was a problem in the past which they might not have fixed. They said there was a problem so they stopped having Internet Explorer use it. But its still used by those designing software, so I suppose .... I don't know.

But it is certainly the fault of DirectX.

Rat

Post by Rat »

I have had it do this as well. I am wondering if it is in some of the bogus code bloat that microsoft has included in its net code. That and trying to launch messenger, and netmeeting and half a dozen other spy bot things out of MicroSnot winblows :twisted:
Wolf Dreamer

Found the solution!

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

originally posted on ParaKnowYa: ATI, Spyware and the Catalyst drivers
It is IE6 that is trying to connect crl.microsoft.com to verify certificates. You can uncheck this function in PROPERTIES/ADVANCED/SECURITY. uncheck server request and verification of certificates.
This happens with installer and with every applicaton that uses directX.
I found that when searching the net for a solution.

Anyway, I went into Internet Explorer, and unchecked a lot of options, and one of them was the problem. I didn't see what the guy I just quoted was saying, but after stumbling around a bit, I managed to uncheck the right thing apparently.

No further problems.