CCloudSceneNode - clouds with levels of detail

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
sp00n

Post by sp00n »

r u using VBO gor it?
cr33

Post by cr33 »

HOLY CRAP

this is amazing :shock:

i've never seen such effect in any game... i don't play lots of games though :P

why so many wonderful threads get old and forgotten somewhere on 20th page?? :P

shouldn't there by a sticky 'hall of fame' or something :P
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

i cant make this work with 1.5 on 64 bit linux ?
Nerexis

Post by Nerexis »

Not working, im using irrlicht 1.7.1 + xeffects. I see black rectangles flying around.
Nerexis
Sorry for bad English.
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

There is a working copy in the IrrlichtWrapper source that you can find through my signiture. IrrlichtWrapper is currently running over 1.7.1 irrlicht.
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

no its broken there too, there seems to be an issue with normalize(); in void CCloudSceneNode::render()
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
eagletree

Post by eagletree »

I set this up on 1.7.1/XCode/OSX 10.6 Server. It compiles cleanly, but I'm not getting any cloud generation. Using the main.cpp example code copied into my program, a getCurrentCloudCount returns 0 when tested following the setup calls. This didn't sound like the type issues others have had.

Has anyone made this work on a Mac? I should probably also ask if anyone has made it work on 1.7.1?

Thank you in advance

Edit: I put debugs within CCloudSceneNode and discovered it culling all clouds continuously. By reducing farValue of the camera to a default and disabling culling temporarily, I could get one cloud at a time (perhaps a couple) to appear. Even then, they could only be seen in a very narrow field of view. The sample code attempts to spawn 1000. Since I can see these textures at least briefly, I might be able to narrow it down and report back to this thread.
Last edited by eagletree on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

If you want more than clouds you can try irrWeatherManager its compiled with the latest Irrlicht, but im not so sure about the Mac support.
eagletree

Post by eagletree »

ACE247 wrote:If you want more than clouds you can try irrWeatherManager its compiled with the latest Irrlicht, but im not so sure about the Mac support.
I did look at irrWeatherManager but it did more than necessary. A cloud-only scene seemed handy and a nice building block. I would also suspect it has the same issue, since it originally used CCloudSceneNode. I was going to compare the cloud code in the two whenever I get a 7z decompressor. Thanks for the idea.
cobra

Post by cobra »

eagletree wrote:
ACE247 wrote:If you want more than clouds you can try irrWeatherManager its compiled with the latest Irrlicht, but im not so sure about the Mac support.
I did look at irrWeatherManager but it did more than necessary. A cloud-only scene seemed handy and a nice building block. I would also suspect it has the same issue, since it originally used CCloudSceneNode. I was going to compare the cloud code in the two whenever I get a 7z decompressor. Thanks for the idea.
Hi eagletree,

The clouds in irrWeatherManager are based off of CCloudSceneNode, but I've modified and improved it pretty heavily. It's not really the same thing anymore; you might want to check it out.

- Josiah
Josiah Hartzell
eagletree

Post by eagletree »

Thanks Cobra, I will look it over as it sounds like a nice module. I would have already but for the 7zip compression. Lazy about downloading additional applications.
netpipe

Re: CCloudSceneNode - clouds with levels of detail

Post by netpipe »

duno why i cant make it work on linux..
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
robmar

Post by robmar »

Irrlicht is dead or closed source now? There are so many posts like this one on cloud scene nodes where all the links are broken and where no updates have been posted in years.

OGRE has cloud support.. Irlicht had it but its lost in the mist!
hendu

Post by hendu »

I really agree, it was surprising to me too how the community here preferred to work this way, without consideration for the future.

However this was completely out of place:
Irrlicht is dead or closed source now?
You cannot blame the product for the community's actions.
robmar

Post by robmar »

Yeah, well, does the product choose the community, or the community the product?

Clouds, atmosphere etc are basic needs and there is enough code out there to keep it available without much work. Ogre is steaming ahead... but irrlicht is somehow of a differnt mentality.