Irrlicht-Spintz (Modifed Irrlicht-0.8 ) ( UPDATED 3/13/05 )

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Spintz

Irrlicht-Spintz (Modifed Irrlicht-0.8 ) ( UPDATED 3/13/05 )

Post by Spintz »

This originally just started as the GeoMipMapSceneNode, however, I've also added 32 bit index support and a SkyDome class ( CSkyDomeSceneNode ).

http://irrlicht.spintz.com

This modified engine is now integrated with Irrlicht-0.8 and all applications that compile/run on Irrlicht-0.8 will compile on this engine. You can check the development log at the website above to check on what other additions / modifications have made it into Irrlicht-Spintz.

Their are 2 examples added to the originals, one showing the use of the GeoMipMapSceneNode, the GeoMipMapTriangleSelector and the CSkyDomeSceneNode as well as another example showing the new ParticlePointEmitter ( which was fixed to create more than 1 partice per render ). All examples are pre-compiled with the needed DLL's to run for both DevC++ and Visual Studio in the bin directory.

I'm sorry I can't add Linux makefiles as I don't have a Linux machine available to me, but if someone wants to create those makefiles and pre-compiled libraries, I'd be glad to add them to the download!

Hope you all enjoy it and please, provide any feedback, it's all accepted and appreciated! 8)
Last edited by Spintz on Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

wow Spintz! you finally got away with it!!!

this looks interesting! I'll download it and test it thoroughly, and if possible give you a hand with the linux version!!

:D

great job man, I'm sure your work is very good.

Post by Guest »

Spintz, this is great. Thank you.

Is there any chance to have CVS for Irrlicht? We have IrrlichtNX++ which is going in different direction. Some things I like about NX++ (listeners, patches, etc.), some don't (singleton).
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Very nice job, Spintz :D Its great
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Well, I actually have this code in my own CVS, but it's on my home machine which is only connected to a Cable Modem with 384k upload, which would be very slow, but this is better.

It's up to Niko as to whether or not he'll use CVS for Irrlicht-0.8.
katoun

Post by katoun »

:lol:
Hi ,
I'm just doing the same thing. Actualy implementing stuff from IrrlichtNX but
not changing Irrlicht(don.t warry I dont like singleton either);
Ah and I added Anisotropic Filter (made by me and I hope it works)
When I shall have a 'final' version I will put a Zip file on the net and tall U all.
Kat'Oun
katoun

Post by katoun »

Hi
I have an idea:
Make an Irrlicht version like IrrlichtNX with CVS suport wich shall be the testing ground for Irrlich, but ofcourse without changing the 'Idea' of Irrlicht.
Also we can add stuff from OGRE to Irrlicht and make Irrlicht No 1 Openn Source
Game Engine ha :D
But I truly say OGRE has a very, very,.... very ugly source code,it's like thick green jungle forest. So it would be a BIG chalange, but not in vane.

All best to U.
Kat'Oun
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Well, I work on NX++ as well as supplying this Irrlicht-Spintz engine. I supply this engine to help out with changes I think are helpful for Irrlicht, like the GeoMipMapSceneNode and the SkyDomeSceneNode as well as putting in bug fixes that are noticed, between versions or that don't make it into the next version at all.
Electron

Post by Electron »

is there anything in there that's not in NX?
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

The new Irrlicht 0.8 features are in this, that aren't in NX++. However, NX++ has many features that are not in this.

I'm not trying to replace NX++ with this or anything. I'm simply offering people who don't want to change from the Irrlicht way with some additional features / enhancements.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hey Spintz, your changes sound great!
Is there any chance that they will be included in the next version of the offcial irrlicht?
Oh, and I DEFINATLY agree to put up a CVS repository for irrlicht(!!!) :!:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Hi Spintz,

Just checked it and it looks and feels great! You didn't change any of the Irrlicht syntax to do stuff, did you? I mean, everything is coded as in regular Irrlicht, or you changed some stuff as in NX?

Loved the new particle example, but would have liked to see a skydome sample as well.

trying to get it to work in linux,

cheers!
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

example 12 has the skydome and the geomipmap in it.

and no, there are no interface breaking changes.

works with all irrlicht 0.8 apps

Oh, and to get it to work in Linux, you should only need to add the following files to the Irrlicht-0.8 makefile -

CGeoMipMapSceneNode.cpp
CGeoMipMapTriangleSelector.cpp
CSkyDomeSceneNode.cpp

The new header files are
IGeoMipMapSceneNode.h
CGeoMipMapSceneNode.h
CGeoMipMapTriangleSelector.h
CSkyDomeSceneNode.h
katoun

Post by katoun »

Hi Spintz,
You my not want to change NX with your Irrlicht-Spintz, but I would like an Irrlicht that has mostly all the features from both Irr 0.8 and IrrNX but in the 'Old Irrlicht Fashion Way'(and with NO ERROR or WORNING when compiling what so ever like you can get from IrrlichtNX !!! :evil: ).
And let me tall you, some errors in IrrlichtNX are just plane dumb:
//! 64 bit unsigned variable.

/** This is a typedef for unsigned 64 bit int, it ensures portability of the engine. */

typedef unsigned long long int u64;

//! 64 bit signed variable.

/** This is a typedef for signed 64 bit int, it ensures portability of the engine. */

typedef signed long long int s64;
Hope you have spoted the 'long long' that it's not accepted in C/C++.
Ok. It was just a sugestion, but I'll continue implementing stuff from NX to Irr0.8 and release it as soon as posible
All best to you and all others.
Kat'Oun
Electron

Post by Electron »

howabout

Code: Select all

#if defined(MINGW)
typedef unsigned long long int u64
#else
#ifdef VC++
typedef unsigned __int64 u64;
#endif
#endif
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars