Game Creation Tool being converted for irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
VolSoft

Game Creation Tool being converted for irrlicht

Post by VolSoft »

hi. i am soon to be attempting to make a game creation tool called " rfeditpro" work with an irrlicht based engine.rfeditpro is like hammer world editor....except it's open source freeware, and allows creation of complete games, example-----you don't have to go to a compiler to compile the game....you do it right from the G.U.I.....there is also a preview with engine, and even a quickview with engine............there will be tons of stuff i have to replace/recode....like a file that holds the entities, gameentitydatatypes.h.......and lots of other stuff........in my opinion, rfeditpro is the easiest GCT out there....and would rock with a more modern engine than the old genesis3d that it's stuck with.......

first thing i have to do: recode the source for rfeditpro to work with dev-c++, then start on placing irrlicht stuff in it.......not sure just how yet.......but i'll figure it out.........
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Wow, you are looking at a very big job there. Good luck.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

interesting! an Irrlicht-only map editor!!

similar to what Carsten did with tread3d for his engine (Ca3de) http://www.ca3d-engine.de/c_About.php

tread 3d released its source for any use so the Ca3de guys took it and modified it to work for their engine. You might also be interested in checking tread's source since it was one of the best in its days of glory!!!:
http://www.planetquake.com/tread/

check the downloads section.

and finally; a good adition would be to get it to save to MIM format directly. This way whatever you map-lightmap in the editor will be ready to be loaded into Irrlicht using Murphy's stuff!!! :D :D
Last edited by afecelis on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Reality Factory? yup, my problem I had with it is...genesis 3d does not support weights in character animation.

Others say rf is limited and not that wysiwyg...

there was a version based in neoengine, but dunno if it evolved....

I'd wellcome something like that for free, but remember to credit a lot Niko's as the irrlicht author.

the idea of a totally visual think for us artist for at least be able to mount a cut scene in real time 3d, machimina, or very simple games, allways sounds atractive..EtCaptor and others made very good game editors..

yup, i vote for mim support.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
VolSoft

Post by VolSoft »

Right now, the RFEDITPRO editor is better than even hammer, and i appreciate your guys comments! thanks!
so......instead of saving to .3dt as it does now.....i change it to save to MIM?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

there are several formats you can save to load in irrlicht.My very personal favouite is MIM.

Is there some download link to test your editor?...that way we could say which things that mim supports are there or aren't...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Vermeer: if you want to get the hang of RFedit pro you can download Reality factory and try it with the engine. http://www.realityfactory.ca/v4/portal.php

I think there's even the chance to download only the editor, but RFeditpro comes linked with the bsp compiler and the executable so I guess you'll have to downlaod the whole stuff. The bad part is that the performance in latest version was really bad, even in latest gen videocards. So it would be a great idea if the editor could be modified to work w/Irrlicht.
VolSoft

Post by VolSoft »

Exactly what I was thinking......the editor is great, i just need to figure out where stuff goes.....heh....and yeah.......nico will get top billing........( Irrlicht is just so awesome dude)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I really like this idea :D

Porting such editor for Irrlicht would Rocks! :D

Good luck!

BTW, if you got it to work a little bit, then I would be interested in helping you.
(Like when Afecelis got Irrlicht to work with Relo, I did help him by writing templates, ressources, tutorials and I found how to add icons, etc)
first thing i have to do: recode the source for rfeditpro to work with dev-c++, then start on placing irrlicht stuff in it...
Why not use Relo? :wink: :P

BTW
I downloaded the source of the tools (ToolSource_Dec282004.zip) ...
It's strange that there is no readme, no makefiles.... Where is all that stuff?
Anyway, I will check it more during the week-end.

Did you asked to the RF creator if they think it could be modified for another engine? Does RF is editor is enough modulable?
You could maybe ask on their forums. We need to be sure it is possible.

Keep me informed of all the news, I'm very interested and I will help you the best as I can (if you want of course)
Kadok

Post by Kadok »

this 'rfeditpro' will be this cross-platform or only windows :?:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

so far rfeditpro is windows only. dunno if it may be fixed to work w/linux . I hope so...