Stunt Marble Racers 2

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Re: Stunt Marble Racers 2

Postby Brainsaw » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

Splitscreen in general is not complicated in Irrlicht, see tutorial 18 ;)

In my special case you can have 2-4 player splitscreen. I just use a switch-case block for all the options to define the size of the screen part for each player and store it as a irr::core::reci object.

If shadows are active I then create a render-to-target texture for each player with the size of the rect defined before. XEffects "update" function takes the RTT texture as optional parameter, so not much to do here. Afterwards I copy the content of the texture to the screen.

I have to see if I can create a texture from part of the screen so that I don't have to copy the texture to the screen because this costs a lot of performance (see video - 30 FPS on my old Core I5 with a GTX650 (or similar ;) )) GFX card.

In single player mode I use the same base class but don't use the render target path for performance reasons
Brainsaw

Postby BlindSide » Sun May 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey mate,

This looks great. Message me directly if you need any support with XEffects or shadow mapping in general. Happy to help out. Glad to see something I made 10 years ago still in use in projects today :D

Cheers,
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
BlindSide
Admin

Postby Brainsaw » Mon May 15, 2017 11:54 am

Hi,

it works without problems, although splitscreen drops the framerate a lot - rendering to texture I guess. XEffects is great as I don't have the time to dig into shadow mapping myself ;). I'll keep posting here as soon as I have new features. At the moment I'm working on race replay - similar to what I had in my "Stunt Marble Racers", but this time it will of course be better :D
Brainsaw

Postby Brainsaw » Sun May 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi,

I just uploaded a new version: with the first iteration of the race replay. You can now save replays of all races (time trial with or without ghost, splitscreen, network client and server) and view them later on. There is still some work to do: in multiplayer games you only see the perspective of player 1, in-game HUD is not yet up to date and the race result is not shown, I'll work on that. Hope you like it.

Download link is: http://dustbin-online.de/download/marbles3.zip
Brainsaw

Postby Brainsaw » Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 am

I uploaded a small bugfix this morning:

- ghost replay camera was broken
- static text "ghost saved" was overlapping button "save replay"
- camera in race replay was not moving after respawn

Can still be downloaded at http://dustbin-online.de/download/marbles3.zip
Brainsaw

Postby Brainsaw » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 am

I am now preparing an awesome new feature: share your ghost files.

This is not yet included in the game, but there is a homepage at: https://dustbin-online.de/marbles3

You can download the ghosts that are stored here and race against them. The ghost files are stored in "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\DustbinGames\Marbles3\Ghosts". Download a ghost, copy it to that location and you can race against them.

The page does also include an option to upload a ghost (at the very bottom) so I'd like to see some ghosts being uploaded so that other players (and I) have something to compete.

The next step will be to include both the download and the upload function into the game. I hope you like the idea and use it a lot :D.

Stay tuned for more hot news.
Brainsaw

Previous

Return to Project Announcements