BlockGame and IrrGame

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
schick

BlockGame and IrrGame

Post by schick »

Dear Irrlicht Users,

During the last week I worked at my project called BlockGame, which reached version 0.9. Along with BlockGame I will release IrrGame coming with a complete new framework for creating games with Irrlicht.

######################################################

You will find as always the source and the binary files at http://www.bluffel.de.vu/download . Furthermore, if I have uploaded the fully documentation of BlockGame at http://www.bluffel.de.vu/BlockGame . The IrrGame documentation can be found at http://www.bluffel.de.vu/IrrGame . While having a look in the BlockGame documentation you might see the IrrNewton namespace, which holds some classes for IrrNewton. I will not release IrrNewton directly but as BlockGame uses IrrNewton you will find the whole source in the IrrNewton directory (after unpacking the BlockGame source archive). My future work will concentrate to finish BlockGame. IrrGame needs one bug fix (maybe related to Irrlicht). Furthermore, I will try to finish IrrNewton (the new vehicle joint, makes me weak. :-)

(From the BlockGame ReadMe.txt)

BlockGame - In memory of BlockMan

BlockGame was designed around IrrGame (a framework for
building games using Irrlicht). BlockGame uses Irrlicht
for 3d graphics, RakNet for networking, Audiere for
sound and Newton "real" physics.

BlockGame is a multiplayer first person shooter. But all
the graphics are done using simple cubes (well, the
title tells). Furthermore, BlockGame was created only
for It-Can-Be-Done reasons. It provides a great design,
which can be expanded very easily. IrrGame, by the way, was
created during the BlockGame planning phase. The application
itself, ain't finished. I will add bot support and make
use of "Extrapolating" (timestamping packets).

Features of BlockGame:

- A easy to understand design, but powerful in its use
- Integrating four APIs (Irrlicht, RakNet, Audiere, Newton)
- It really makes fun :-)

BlockGame is licened under the zlib/libpng license.
The documentation of BlockGame, which can be found in the "doc"
directory should give you all information you may need. If you
have any questions or suggestions, send an email to the author
of BlockGame, Friedrich Schick (Friedrich.Schick@web.de).

I reserved a place at sourceforge.net but i am too lazy to set it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I have nothing to say but that was a lot of work!

Best regards,

Schick
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Good work, runs without problems on my PC.

Will be nice, if you keep independence of Newton animator, related other irrGame sources. So, can be possible to use it independently. I just tried to use only Newton animator - well, I can compile it and even run, but suggest that can do it only with default material. Other materials like bullet and player materials needs player and bullet object files, who needs irrGame files...

Maybe is possible to define some materials for Newton animator and later to derive classes for player and bullet with appropriate event handlers. Since I'm no familiar with your sources / can see this only from my first look/ maybe can say something wrong, and excuse me for that.

Keep your good work.
schick

Post by schick »

Heya, little update again. BlockGame reaches 0.92, which is only a bug release. There were some loop-network problems.

Futhermore, if you are developing a game. I please you to have a look at IrrGame (link above) which comes with two tutorials. Those two tutorials will tell you in detail, how to make a game using Irrlicht.
Will be nice, if you keep independence of Newton animator
The IrrNewton library is independent from all others. The CMaterialBullet and the CMaterialPlayer objects are implemented by my game. As I am ready with BlockGame and IrrGame (god damn bug :-)) I will concentrate on IrrNewton.

Well, I would say my source is fairly good documented. Everything related to events (IrrGameEvent) should be explained in the tutorials (link in the first post). The IrrNewton release will come with some tutorials, which shows the usage of IrrNewton.
Maybe is possible to define some materials for Newton animator and later to derive classes for player and bullet with appropriate event handlers.
Yeah, it could be done like that, but in fact you should implement your own materials to fullfill your needs. Sorry, but i am not in the mood to explain it right now. As i said before, there will be a release.

Cheers,

Schick
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Thanks schick.

I cannot wait - your IrrNewton animator and other stuff are very impressive for me. Will be great when you add some tutors. About materials - I know that creating of materials is game specific work. I have ask, because suggest that in block game IrrNewton is not yet simple material. Also player's camera not exist. There are some changes in events an materials ID, and I ask my self whether this is specific only with blockgame using or global. So, I need to know with v.023 or with Blockgame IrrNewton to make my efforts :D
ruggeria

I thing that ther's a bug

Post by ruggeria »

I download BlockGame0.92.exe but if selected directX8 or directX9 I see an error system when I click on "HOST". If I use "software" or openGL all color are confused.
All example of irrlicht go on my system corretly.

This project is a good project idea
schick

Post by schick »

IrrGame reaches Version 1.0. The IFileSystem bug was fixed also i updated the IrrGameEvent to use unsigned char as ID. That makes it fairly easy to use with RakNet.

The only thing on BlockGame is to implement timestamping, which will be done hopefully next weekend.

Cheers,

Schick
firefly2442

Post by firefly2442 »

Looks good. Could you include some screenshots on the website? :)