Here we go, new project forming!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Munku

Here we go, new project forming!

Post by Munku »

I am currently creating a new Space simulation game. I say simulation because it involves more than just shooting everything you find, usurping and expanding your clan/federation/republic/whatever.

Currently the project is being coded, though not enough to post quite yet. I am hoping to have something by January 5th, 2005 depending on work, life and such.

Current specs on the game:

(GAME MODES)

+ Kill everything you see ;)

+ Expand your territory! *definit must*

+ Clan/REpublic/Race(subrace)/loner ability. Aka: You can be apart of a small clan of raiders, a huge federation like startrek filled with RL people and NPCs.

+ Scientific and exploritory mode. The universes are huge, technology abundent and resources a must. If yo are to succeed you MUST aquire all of the above as well as knowing how to handle spacial anomylies as well as where they might be.

+ Merchant and Mercinary modes. The universe needs people to ship equipment and people all over just as much as a universe needs people to 'take care' of pesky criminals.

+ You can gather technology (risky), by the specs (risky) and even research tech (best). The latter is the best since if you steal/gather from wrechage you will NOT know how to use the item properly and might cause catastrophic damage to the ship, fleet and even the universe.

+ Everything will be interactable. (to a degree, and eventually you will be able to go down on a planet/in a station via 3rd or 1st person views)

(Cool stuff)

+ Leadership experience: The more you lead and complete missions(successfully) the more experience your character recieves, which leads to better classes of NPC's wanting to work for you and an easier time for (example) banks to lend you money. This is great if you want to build a republic or large clan.

(A) The more leadership experience you have the better crew you will recieve, above and beyond that you will be able to 'aquire' more than one ship at your disposal.

(B) Don't like a clan or a galaxy spanding business? With more experience it is easier to recruit other clans, mercs and even other businesses to help in 'dealing' with your enemy.

(Space stuff)

+ Very, very intricate space sizes from small (1 sector in a galaxy) to multiple galaxies. (Multiple galaxies are going to be in a future release, not the first)

+ A large number of spacial anomalies ranging from worm holes, black holes and subspace sinkholes to rips, tares and maybe (this would be cool, if it could be done) time bubbles. However, I have a fairly large list of "possible" spacial anomolies.

+ Basic and advanced 'things' ranging from dust clouds to nebulae; planets, suns and moons to huge asteroid belts.

+ Structures from space stations (varying in size) to 'systems encased in technology' like that sphere-thingy in star trek TNG.

(Ship options)

Everything and anything really. I am planning on some sort of dynamic model transfer in case a person wants to use his/her own, however, there will be restrictions (obviously).

Obviously this will be an online game which will range from 2 players to .... well, as many as possible. I would like to have a system of servers which will all be interconnected in some way (probably just in the way of messages and such) which would control different galaxies, thus giving hundreds to thousands of people able to play at one time; also this would give the opertunity for those who want to expand their clan to a totally alien space.

In regards to online play, I am thinking of an offline "pre-game" for those who don't have the net or the computer ability to play online; or for those that don't want to go online.

In addition to the average shot-kill-go-on-with-life there will be hundreds of random missions thrown at you along the way.

Example: You are passing an M-class planet under your clan's protection. Suddenly you get a contact from the planet asking for help: a plague has hit and devistated the population and you must go to <insert planetoid name> to gather a certain plant for a cure.

Example 2: An enemy ship has been attacked by someunknown agressor and they are asking you to help find the attacker in exchange for diplomatic stuff, money or even tech.

Well, that's it for now. If you have any comments or questions, requests or whatnot please feel free to ask.

BTW: Sorry about the grammer and spelling. It's 3:40pm, I work midnights so change that pm to am ;)
Umm, don't look at me that way. I'M not the dead one here.

--The One True Marshmellow
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

That really sounds impressive, how many people are working on that title?

I'm really curious how you want to implement that time bubbles in multiplayer game. I'm looking forward to some stuff you'll show us in the (near?) future...
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

I think maybe better way "is to do as many as you can handle and show it here, and then start planning".

Beucause with ambitious plans you won't go to far as most of 80% such projects.
But maybe you have checked everything with your team, and you know that you can handle with the most of plan work and the game will show up with a demo in few months.
bal

Post by bal »

That's true dawasaw but I (personnaly) always try to aim as high as possible. You got people who're telling to everyone: start small, make pong first but that's bullshit imo. You'll learn a lot more if you start with a serious project. I first worked/tested a few weeks with Irrlicht until I knew its syntax and possibilities, then I immediately started with an FPS. It didn't work out very well in the beginning and I kept on restarting but after a while I had a proper design. I've gained a lot of experience. Can you imagine I knew absolutely nothing about C++ nor game programming 4-5 months ago? Irrlicht stimulated me to learn C++ and other gamedesign-stuff. I read Thinking in C++ and dozens of tutorials, understood most of them because of my trial-and-error experience with Irrlicht, but still it was great to know why things work like that. Now I left Irrlicht(NX++) and started using Ogre (which I found extremely difficult at the moment I started with Irrlicht, now it seems doable), because of its great graphic quality and great design (imo). But I'll keep on checking Irrlicht :wink:. Maybe there's still a difference between a team-project and a one-manproject but anyway, this is my personal opinion.

So, always try to aim as high as you can, you won't fall low :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Munku

Well planned projects != Too much

Post by Munku »

Nothing I have stated (except options like the time bubble, which will be hard as hell to implement and take a stroke of genius to accomplish) is too much. I have been planning this for quite a while, and to toot my own horn: Everything I have stated WILL get done.

I agree with bal. Start big, make a plan--but do everything in small steps and if possible complete those steps one by one, don't let them hang if you do not have to.

Unfortunatly, at this moment, I am alone with the project and though I would love some help with it the plan is to accomplish it by myself. This is NOT to say that I will not accept help (that would just be stupid), in fact I would love help.

Now, the planning stages have been over for about five days, already I have implemented some of the main functionality and (if time, social life and work permit) I would like to have a small demo out early January.

BTW: If anyone is curious I currently need a modeller, 1-2 more programmers. Currently sound is not an issue, I don't expect to implement that for quite a while.
Umm, don't look at me that way. I'M not the dead one here.

--The One True Marshmellow