[GAME] PowerCode Project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Chlorek

[GAME] PowerCode Project

Post by Chlorek »

Hi there! Let's dream about first persion shooter, with infinite world where player can do anything he wants. Dream about creating your OWN weapons (maybe even vehicles!), that's PowerCode!
PowerCode is not final name, because PowerCode is old project name that a new project is based on. However, I want to tell you guys about my project a bit more...

Features:
- Multiplayer
- Infinite World (that looks like normal world, not like Minecraft)
- Creating your own weapon (with advanced mechanics)
- Ability to interact with any object in the game, you can cut trees etc.
- RPG elements like equipment, simple skills, leveling system
- Live-Camera - eyes-view that gives great experience when falling (rolling) down a mountain, when you fall etc.
- (Maybe) Animals and some kind of monsters at night
- Ability to modify anything in the world (even ground you are standing on)
- ...and many more!

What is done?
I am developing the game over 6 months now, I am programming server application most of the time, client is still really poor, however I draw simple terrain and some others. Well that are things finished at the moment:
- (Server) Events and Packets/Network system
- (Server) World Generator (still in development)
- (Server/Client) Network communication
- (Client) Loading 9 world chunks from the disk (not via network, protocol is not ready yet)
- (Client) Main menu and settings
- (Server) Commands support (with permissions support InDev)
- Some little things, not worth saying about

Requirements:
Client:
I can not tell anything about it yet, however not that high.

Server:
System: Windows OS (I'm sorry! I will port it later, now the most important thing is to finish it!)
CPU: Some cpu with at least 2 cores, works fine with 2,8Ghz, however it is developed and tested under 4,0Ghz (overclocked from 3,4Ghz)
RAM: 512MB
Disk Space: At least 512MB free disk space (generated world is not that big, after some hard testings it was 270MB)
Internet Connections: World weight is smaller than well known Minecraft world (3KMx3KM is average 10MB)

FAQ:
Q: When the game will be released?
A: I hope to release some beta by the end of the year

Q: Will it be free?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I help somehow?
A: Yes, you can post ideas. Also I am looking for someone who will make textures.

Q: Will it be opensource?
A: Maybe in the far future, however I am not going to share it. And not because of I don't like to show my code, it's more like I don't like to share source code to make cheats appear, I am making almost everything server-sided, so it is as safe as possible now, but source code for cheaters is their dream. Game should be fair!

Q: Will it be possible to create own weapons?
A: Yes, I haven't started any works on it yet, but I am going to! I want to make creating weapons simple and difficult at once, also I want to make it very mechanic way... well you will see that when it will be finished!

Q: Won't it be boring?
A: Chance for finding other players in 'infinite world' is rather small, however I want to make players to discover more and more, there will be secrets, hidden loot and monsters at night. Well I have lots of ideas to make it funny.

----------------------
Also sorry for my english, I am Polish.
----------------------
rubenwardy

Re: [GAME] PowerCode Project

Post by rubenwardy »

Sounds good, but you should wait until you get to a playable version before broadcasting, unless you are looking for help.
sodandk
Competition winner

Re: [GAME] PowerCode Project

Post by sodandk »

good talking to you ingame in Build A World... lets see screenshots! :-D