"Tribal Creature of the Sky" (Help appreciated) My 1st game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Destructavator

"Tribal Creature of the Sky" (Help appreciated) My 1st game

Post by Destructavator »

OK, after tinkering around with programming and 3D stuff, and helping with existing open-source projects, I've decided to get serious about getting my 1st game going, and by that I mean my first "real" one that I'm serious about eventually developing into something nice.

I admit I'm bad at picking cool game titles, but I ended up with "Tribal Creature of the Sky" for my project, which is GPL open-source and newly registered on SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tribalcreature/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tribalcreature/

This game is going to be a third-person type of shooter but will also have a strong plot (eventually), and will involve more than just basic combat, but also role-playing elements and choices, possibly something like Deus Ex (I admit I only played the first one, a long time ago). The main character himself is young, a native being of the new world the game takes place in, and is much like a human but with feathered wings, fangs, and retractable claws. This game will feature magic and spells, but also selected technology, so it will be a blend of fantasy and shooting monsters with assault rifles and grenade launchers.

It is going to be cross platform, aiming for all three major ones (Windows, Linux, Mac).

The project currently has the most up-to-date stuff in the SVN repo. I also enabled a Git repo, which is empty right now - In my experience I work best and fastest with SVN - which gives me the least headaches - but if other people volunteer to help I'll move things over to the Git system to manage things better.

A few screenshots (older ones are on SourceForge):

This project is really in its infancy, so it isn't jaw-dropping impressive, at least not yet, but I'd appreciate any feedback or help from anyone interested in trying the "game preview" mode of the worldgen utility used to generate each campaign game world. The demo preview currently allows one to fly, walk, run, and swim around a generated terrain environment. Yes, I know it looks simple right now, perhaps even chintzy to some of you who are used to the big AAA games, but over time I'm hoping to make it into something good.

Currently there are .exe files for Windows 32 and 64 bits, Linux and Mac will come later. The only other library used is SFML for audio and a few minor other things. All the graphics are being done via OpenGL with Irrlicht.

P.S. There is a readme.txt with a starting storyline and background included in the repo and snapshot downloads.
- - - -
"Destructavator" Dave: Developer of OS GPL VST "ScorchCrafter" Audio Plug-ins, contributer to UFO AI, Day Job: Guitar Luthier (Customize musical instruments, repainting w/ custom artwork, graphics, logos, decals, etc.)
Destructavator

Re: "Tribal Creature of the Sky"

Post by Destructavator »

I've made some progress on my project since the initial announcement, there is now a playable demo where the player can operate a few weapons, fire projectiles, land in and take off from tree branches, swim in water, and a few other things.

The "worldgen" application is no longer - I've been integrating everything into the main program now, which has a more friendly menu.

Also featured are config screens, including a customizable keymap that shows what keys do what.

I've put a lot of work into optimizations and ways of rendering large terrain sections with numerous objects placed on the landscape, without slowing things down too much. Both the landscape and all terrain is randomly generated from player-customizable seed values.

A few basic sound FX have been added.

The terrain overall looks nicer now, too. Here are a few recent screen shots, some which show the trees on the map (note: Every single tree is custom generated, so no two trees are alike!):

For those who don't want to bother with an SVN checkout and compile, you can download pre-built EXE files for Windows in a demo that runs out-of-the-box, with executable files for both 32 and 64 bit Windows. The downloads are on the Sourceforge project page.

Linux users: I'm soon going to be working on a makefile for the project, how soon it is ready depends on how many issues and hurdles I find I have to overcome in getting it together and working properly. (I have custom written makefiles before for other projects, so it isn't totally new to me.)

Again, if anyone wants to join the project, please let me know. At this point I can use contributions of almost any kind, from sound FX to music, to 2D and/or 3D artwork, to coding, porting, lots of stuff. Or, you can all sit back and watch as I continue to make it all by myself, but if that continues I want you to realize that as I progress there will be gradually less and less room for you to add your own ideas if you come up with any. (Although, given, the project IS licensed under GPL, so you could still make a mod or something of it.)

Note: I welcome help and contributions from people of nearly any skill level. No resume is required. You also don't have to contribute full-time, either, if you come and go from the project that's fine. Speaking for myself, I work on this in my spare time, which fluctuates all over the place.

EDIT: Added one more pic to show one of the weapons in action.
- - - -
"Destructavator" Dave: Developer of OS GPL VST "ScorchCrafter" Audio Plug-ins, contributer to UFO AI, Day Job: Guitar Luthier (Customize musical instruments, repainting w/ custom artwork, graphics, logos, decals, etc.)
rubenwardy

Re: "Tribal Creature of the Sky" (Help appreciated) My 1st g

Post by rubenwardy »

Looks nice.

What is the aim of the game?