A better room for the demo [WIP]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hendu

Re: A better room for the demo [WIP]

Post by hendu »

Not erosion of the ground/room, but erosion of the statues I believe was the topic. Sandstorm slowly melting the statues away.
samuncle
Competition winner

Post by samuncle »

No, not a hardcoded animation - a real fluid simulation, where it first starts flowing, then slowly fills the oasis, then flows over and starts to run downwards on the cave floors. Perhaps even with disruption by the player's (invisible) feet.
Not erosion of the ground/room, but erosion of the statues I believe was the topic. Sandstorm slowly melting the statues away.
IMO that's just a pie in the sky. I'm not sure if we really need this kind of feature in a demo. It's very complex to make it and we don't have time. I prefer to have a nice day/night cycle than a realtime fluid simulation or erosion. Generally games don't use realtime fluid simulation. It's faked.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

well for day night cycle simulation we could use my atmopherical scatering shader with a sun circling around the place of course it would need to be converted to ogl but the result would be great with a nice skybox that has the milkyway on it

also procedural erosion of some non heightmaped object would be way over complex and even the provious technique i described for terrain would overly complex

also would post processing be out of the budged or should we include it in the project?
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

A post process anti aliasing, or an included way to undersample the frame buffer (because it's automatically AAed?) would be really useful. You might need MRTs too for getting dynamic shadows, so showing that functionality is nice.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Not even done with the new mesh yet and already talking about crazy features that are not easily implemented with irrlicht....just redo the scene then think about a second demo showing maybe advanced shaders usage. Otherwise this project is doomed to die...believe me :P
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Agree. The features are nice, but don't miss the north :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

well i would like participate in the project but i have no skills for modeling or texture so programing features would me my contribution to the project
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well granyte I'm sure you can help with coding, have a bit of a chat with samuncle and sort things out, I'm sure he will be glad to have you.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Had a quick work on this. Now, I know the meshes might not be final, but I UV Unwrapped all the objects in the cavern to prepare for texturing. Now the issue we need to decide on, what texture style do we want? Do we make the columns and structure from Limestone, sort of what the Pyramids are made from. Or rather marble, which is far stronger, can be quite smooth and shiny, giving a much nicer look overall, sort of like many old greek monuments.
Then the rock of the cavern walls, should they be covered with material, sort of like plastered, or be natural granite/sandstone/limestone/marble rock?
I'm sort of going for natural limestone with veins of other material covered with a clay based plaster that has long since crumbled off on most of the walls. This would give a more interesting look.
Then, the Tunnel leading into the place. I've been in many caves and such, they are never smooth!, they are absolutely crazy and quite rough in most cases. I want to remodel this, should we have some ancient eroded stairs hewn into the rock, partly covered by fallen debris.

Also after thinking about it, do we want a Archeological style site with scaffolding and such(it looks cool).
Or a pristine undiscovered place with even some animal life scurrying around, I've got several lizard and bat models, I really want to make the place look real. Meaning, spiderwebs, grass seeds and such carried in by ants, some owl droppings on the tunnel floor along with some general detritus.

So post your suggestions on what we should do on the model and what you think about my idea.
I want to have a demo we can all be happy with and not get kicked in the rear for me going ahead alone. ;)
samuncle
Competition winner

Post by samuncle »

Do we make the columns and structure from Limestone
The structures like rocks, the caverns in limestone and the columns in marble, but very old and embedded in the limestone.
Then, the Tunnel leading into the place. I've been in many caves and such, they are never smooth!, they are absolutely crazy and quite rough in most cases. I want to remodel this, should we have some ancient eroded stairs hewn into the rock, partly covered by fallen debris.
I have also planned to add some stalactites :).

An object that I made for the demo.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Errr wtf? Were not going to do any of that, and no I do not need to read up on Cloth simulation and drag coefficients either! Thats basic physics I covered in 1st year Engineering course.
So just to clarify again, we are not making a cloth/wind simualtor here, this is just a graphical demo for irrlicht.
samuncle
Competition winner

Post by samuncle »

we are not making a cloth/wind simualtor here, this is just a graphical demo for irrlicht.
+1, we don't need complex features. Just a better demo ;)

@ACE247 can you commit your modification please ?
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Commited my changes plus an _alt (alternate) map with more complex scenery to block the map in. It's still WIP, but will be far better than "rocks all round".
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i have downloaded the repository and compiled the demo while it compile fine no window get created and nothing show up