A better room for the demo [WIP]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
samuncle
Competition winner

A better room for the demo [WIP]

Post by samuncle »

Hello

When I see unigine, cry engine, etc… demos - and then irrlicht's. I think the irrlicht demos could be improved

So I'm making a remake demo's room. I can also make better textures.

Any ideas or Suggestions ?

I hope you will enjoy it :)
Granyte

Re: A better room for the demo [WIP]

Post by Granyte »

wow was preatty much overdue
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Nice! Much better than the old one we had! Nice work! :)

It would be interesting to have a higher poly version of this with vegetation and perhaps different style of pillars (white cylinders, with copper lines?) and also other materials.
Perhaps something like this:

The hole in the center is interesting, as we could try to use particle system to mimic water dropping there.

The fog distance could be increased a little so we see the rock wall in the back.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Let's blow the poly budget so that none of the sw drivers can run the room demos, no? ;)

[joke. Room improvement welcomed.]
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

a low and a high poly version ? one to demonstrate what irrlicht can really do and the other to demonstrate how it can run on lower end hardware
samuncle
Competition winner

Post by samuncle »

I have made new columns and a fountain in the center of the room.
a low and a high poly version ? one to demonstrate what irrlicht can really do and the other to demonstrate how it can run on lower end hardware
Why not, but it's more work for me ^^.
The hole in the center is interesting, as we could try to use particle system to mimic water dropping there.
My initial idea was to put a light well with plants that fall inside the room
sudi

Post by sudi »

looks great so far
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

If you ask me, the demo also should include a terrain
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

This is an interesting concept. I really like the pillars(!)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
hendu

Post by hendu »

If we stay on this road, the new irrlicht demo will look like a Unigine demo ;)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I wouldn't mind if it looked like that :D
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
samuncle
Competition winner

Post by samuncle »

I improved the pillars. The scene has around 5000 polygons. My limit is 60000.
If we stay on this road, the new irrlicht demo will look like a Unigine demo ;)
I already have some nice palm trees :P.
But I don't think so ^^. Making a scene with the quality of unigine is a lot of work. However If anybody is interested by contributing (making textures, objects, the code …) for this demo he is welcome.
If you ask me, the demo also should include a terrain
My initial idea was a small room, not an outside scene because it requires less work. But if you make a nice terrain maybe. I can add a door in the room and a small oasis outside. For the moment it's not my priority.
looks great so far
This is an interesting concept. I really like the pillars(!)
Last edited by samuncle on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi!
Exactly what I was thinking. Irrlicht has great potential, but sometimes, it also need great content to promote it further. It's ok that the demos show technically what they can do, but to give a better impression, it's better to show "Crysis" type graphics than "Doom II" type graphics. (By the way, it my opinion, hope I don't offend anyone) :)

We could try to bake the high poly geometry into a low poly version so we also could show that it can display on "low end" hardware, but we should not try to keep ourselves to make assets for "low end" as it will surely give the impression that Irrlicht is only good for low end as it's not!

The way I'm modeling, is not to put any limit on my polygon limit and create what I need to the detail I need, then when the detailed version is done, create a low poly version with the required polys and project the details of my "no limit" model on it. This take a little more time than to model directly, but I gain much more control over the visual quality of the model. Using that technique also permit me to create multiple LOD.

@samuncle
My initial idea was to put a light well with plants that fall inside the room
Great idea!
You could make the room a little bigger to reflect a little bit of your reference?

Your improved columns are really great! Nice work!
However If anybody is interested by contributing (making textures, objects, the code …) for this demo he is welcome.
I am too busy now to prepare the next alpha version of IRB (Hope to release it for january 2013), but once it's released, I could try to load your models in ZBrush and create normal maps for the details, I would need practice anyway since I've not used it since a long time.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

This is a great idea alround. I'm a good 3d artist and programmer plus I've now got some free time, so I'll see how I can help. Also, samuncle could you upload your work to somewhere, then we can cooperate on this to make a nice new Irrlicht example/Demo.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i just wish i had any kind of modeling skills the lack of it is actualy holding my project back big time