QUADFIGHTER!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Abraxas)

QUADFIGHTER!

Post by Abraxas) »

Hello irrlicht!

I'm the dude who was working on the quadrotor physics simulation and I thought... this is really fun. I should build a whole game based on this movement paradigm.

I was a huge fan of the original descent series, so I decided to give it a shot.

After three weeks of work (coding, 3ds max modelling, learning how to use shaders and some friend feedback) here is what it looks like!

I just finished coding a super extensible quest generator and I'm putting together a demo for anyone to play. I won't be giving out source, but I'll be happy to help anyone who has any "how did you do that" questions.

polylux

Re: QUADFIGHTER!

Post by polylux »

That looks like great fun, cheers Abraxas! :)
I imagine the combat thingy to be especially exciting. Will you release a Linux demo version as well?
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
Abraxas)

Re: QUADFIGHTER!

Post by Abraxas) »

Polynux unfortunately I'm not really sure how to code to deploy to other platforms and I'm using directX and HLSL.

UPDATE!

I've done a LOT of work, mainly in the areas of graphics but also I've filled out most of the game code.

Here's some gameplay screens showing some of my work including:
- Per pixel lighting using shaders.
- Force affected physics objects (coded myself) including all items on the ground and of course, the quadrotors (modelled as 5 force rigid bodies).
- Combat, weapons, maneuverability.
- GUI showing quest indicators, inventory list and object display (everything was modelled in 3ds max and photoshop).
- Laser is a CBeamSceneNode :)
- Radar is a custom shader I wrote last night, very expandable.

I tried to take a video with a few programs including microsoft encoder and CamStudio recorder but the results were terrible..

Eventually I'll apply for the monthly screenshot competition once I have something really nice to show :)