Quadrotor Physics Simulation

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Abraxas)

Quadrotor Physics Simulation

Post by Abraxas) »

Hello Irrlicht!

I put my 'space empires' on pause since I hit my 3rd year of mechanical engineering last year. No time for that. Also, girlfriend moved in :)

So for my 4th year (last year here in Quebec) I'm working on a big project called "Capstone" which I think most north american universities require their eng students to complete before graduation.

Since I'm in Mech, I'm actually going to BUILD this thing, but as a good little engineer I need to prove to my supervision professor I'm not an ass and actually know this thing can work. So, instead of using SolidWorks or working model, I just programmed in straight in C++/Irrlicht!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vACwU37B6KM&feature=plcp

Here are some screens:

Here is the executable:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/107275289/Caps ... utable.zip

Please test it out, the readme should be plenty helpful.

Let me know if you see any issues with the physics or controls, and if you have any graphical advice. My knowledge of sciences in order of magnitude goes PHYSICS+MATH>>>>>>>programming>>>>>>>>graphics so go easy on me :)

Thanks!

PS: let me know what your FPS is! if it's below 100, please provide PC specs :)
Abraxas)

Re: Quadrotor Physics Simulation

Post by Abraxas) »

Added youtube video
hendu

Post by hendu »

Nice, so the actual software that balances the copter is tested with this?
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

Yeah, the simulation is parametrized, obviously, and certain parameters are "floating", which means you constrain as many as possible (power, weight, size) and then you aim for the "sweet spot" in control sequence.

The best control systems anticipate what the user wants to do and then provides the hardware setup to do it.