my MMORPG

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

my MMORPG

Post by Guest »

hi all, first i wold like to introduce myself, my name is Jorge an i am from Argentina

i am a VB6/NET programmer. the thing is that i am wanting to start to code my first game! and i want to make it a MMORPG, thouht the MMO part is a second step, thats the goal of my project. so i have 2 or 3 basic questions

1) can irrlicht be the 3D engine for the job? (well. i just don´t know if it can be used to make 3D isometric like games)

2) Can it be integrated into VB6/NET (i read somewhere that it is so, but i have not found how to do it)

3) are out there any VERY basic tutorials about irrlicht and VB

4) can a MMO be done at all?

well, those where too many questions, but i would preciate any replies, THX

PS: the type of game i am targetting at is very MU online like)

THX
ThoR
ThoR

Post by ThoR »

yikes, seems like i forgot to login before posting this... :P
bal

Post by bal »

Yes, it can be done if you got the time and the knowledge. And you're using C++ because the .NET version of Irrlicht (there is not VB-version) lacks most features and is still a pre-alpha.
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
ThoR

Post by ThoR »

thanks 4 the reply bal, i actually don´t know about anything of C++, so i´ll have to wait 4 the .net ver
but actually the thing is that i don´t need much for the game i have planned
mmm i would need a terrain, to load characters, some very basic FX and colision detection

does anyone know if it is implemented in the current .net version, and some very very basic tutorial for first steps?

THX
ThoR
Thoran

Post by Thoran »

Currently the .net version, which is a wrapper of Irrlicht for .NET really only provides very basic features, which do not allow much. Ia m myself also need a .net version for my game. Therefore I am working on compiling the whole Irrlicht under .NET. Especially with the framework version 2.0 this should be possible in theory.
Unfortunately I was not yet able to expose the full functionality from the Irrlicht library under .NET but I will keep on working on it.
As soon as I made more progress I will post it here in the forum.

Thoran

Post by Guest »

Personally if I were you I would not start your first game off with an MMORPG. MMORPG, and even RPGs, are complex and difficult. It takes many programmers, 5, 20, or more, to make something like an MMORPG.
It would be best if you started off a lot smaller. Maybe even with 2D.
But if you start with 3D you should read some basic OpenGL tutorials. It is best to know the basics of 3D before you use a tool like Irrlicht. Kinda like how they make you grind through the tuff math in math classes before they give you the tricks that let you do all that tough work in 1 step.
Once you've done that make something like Pong or tetris in OpenGL.
Then do Pong/tetris in Irrlicht.
Then move up to a more complex game, possibly of your own design.
Then do a basic RPG.
Then make the RPG more complex (that means start from nothing and build another, more complex RPG).
Then build the RPG again. Why? Each time you build something you learn from the experience. Your code and design gets more refined.
Then do a seperate network application.
Do it again.
And again.
Then do a simple MMORPG.
Then do a complex MMORPG...probably not again.

I'm not trying to hold you back or anything, but if this is your first game and your first use of Irrlicht you really need to get experience and background before doing anything beyond Pong.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

Fogot to put my name in that last post ;) heh.

Also forgot to add this: Yes, Irrlicht can do an MMORPG. Irrlicht is a little rough, but it can do it. You'll likely need to make a few modifications to Irrlicht, like I have (dropping a mesh, fixing the string template, etc) and work around a few things. Terrain, for example, doesn't work right under Irrlicht. You either have to do a straight-up heightmap => raw mesh (which _can_ be killer on your memory bandwidth if you're looking for polygons that aren't the size of texas) or use a 3rd party terrain library.