OpenFLASHPOINT (wip title) - Introduction

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
qubodup

Re: OpenFLASHPOINT (wip title) - Introduction

Post by qubodup »

I read about this on http://freegamer.blogspot.de/2013/05/wi ... point.html and was excited to hear about it.

Is it open source already?
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

hey there polylux!
just read about your project on freegamer's blog and i am so stoked!
operation flashpoint and the sequel arma are some of my favorite games, so i would love to see this project complete!
if you're interested i am willing to help you out, i'm not a programmer at all, neither a 3d artist, but i work pretty good with textures, so if you need, just let me know!
cheers and keep it up with this awesome project!
polylux

Post by polylux »

Oh hello there!

Well thanks for the kind words. I felt quite honored seeing my alpha-alpha-alpha-alpha work on some gaming news site. Plus I have some good news: a good friend of mine joined to help with modeling. We already started adding some of his existing work (such as crates and scenery) to the game. Will post some screen shots soon.
I plan to set up a website for the project soon. As already quite some people offered help I guess it'd be easier to have such a simplification of communication. So thanks for your offer so far, giopanda. If need be, find me on Jabber/XMPP.
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
qubodup

Post by qubodup »

Hoping that the project will be open source and freely licensed, I would like to suggest bitbucket as a project host (or pick one from this list: Wikipedia's Comparison of open-source software hosting facilities )
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

Also, there is a whole lot of great Creative Commons licensed art on pages like Blendswap.com or OpenGamArt.org which you could use.

I linked some of which I would find usable for OpenFlashpoint here a while ago:
http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4461 (I don't think the there mentioned project will ever get of the ground though).

But it would be really great if you could come to a definite decision on whether this game is going to be open-source (and if openly licensed content is used excluseivly).
polylux

Post by polylux »

Reporting back with (hopefully) interesting news: I plan to put the whole thing open source. Prior to that I still need to finish a document describing what OFL is all about, its goals, milestones and the like. Then I'll set up a website and a GIT repo for the code.
Amonst other improvements to the sample island I tried myself as a blender modeler. The outcome is a (well, for my skills) quite nice model of the Steyr AUG. Lemme just hand the model over to a friend of mine to get it skinned and I'll post some ingame action of it.
If you feel like helping once it's OS, hit me up on Jabber/XMPP (Button in my profile).

Cheerio,
p.
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

Sorry, just saw this now. Great to hear that you are going open-source! How about making a thread about the project over at our open-source game development forums: freegamedev.net ?

The weapon is quite nice, but honestly... there are some really professionally made realistic weapons over at Blendswap (for example: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/25166 ) that are freely available under a creative commons license. Also trees and stones etc (just browse the lowpoly category a bit). In addition there is this guy who makes really nice realistic textures and map-models: http://opengameart.org/users/yughues

What I want to say is... don't reinvent the wheel and rather focus on the code and game design ;)
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

Nearly forgot:

The art assets from Zero Ballistics: http://www.zeroballistics.com/screenshots.php?um=2&lm=1 would fit really well too and are available as open-source also (including the .blend source files, check their SVN: http://sourceforge.net/p/zeroballistics/code/HEAD/tree/ ).
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

nothing?
polylux

Post by polylux »

Thanks for pointing me to that, poVoq!

Right now I'm putting together a website that will feature a lengthy explanation of thoughts and ideas as well as to encourage interested people to contribute to the project, coordinate development and the like. Could need some help with the appearance of the website as well as with some gfx stuff for it.
So if YOU would want to help taking this first step, find me on jabber or PM me :)

p.
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

Sorry, not great on webdesign (nor do I really think a fancy website is needed at this stage).

Btw: awesome recent Public Domain release of high quality environmental assets that might also be useful for OpenFlashpoint:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22577/

Edit: Not sure how much time you have already invested into coding the game with Irrlicht... but maybe switching to Torque3d MIT (or better the new fork Project GREED MIT) might actually result in quicker results and the in game terrain level-editor is quite amazing too. AND they recently added a Linux port :)
polylux

Post by polylux »

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out.
On the website: Yea, I think it's quite important to have informational resources about the idea and plans if you want to get people contribute to it. It's no fancy stuff, just put it together in like a day ( Django ftw :) )
Deciding to go on with irrlicht? Yea I'd love to do so. What's so advantageous about the Torque3D-Engine? A project like OFL would require a custom level/mission editor anyways.

Thanks again, keeping you posted!
p.
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

If your projects aims to be fully FOSS (e.g. open source code and art assets) we could probably offer you a community sub-forum at freegamedev.net

I know it's bad manners to try and convince someone to switch engines on an engine board, but I think this project would benefit a lot from switching to Torque3D/GREED.
For once the engine is basically perfect for an open terrain FPS like this, and the editor is very flexible and easy to use (no need for an custom one). Then it is much more tightly integrated and basically gives you a playable FPS out of the box from the start (and this will be even better with GREED). And last but not least, I know the guys behind GREED would be very interested in helping out with a sample project just like OpenFlashpoint.
But honestly... I don't know exactly why you chose Irrlicht, so maybe there is something specific to it which I am not aware.
torque87

Post by torque87 »

Hello?
Nice work so far:) Have you got the site up online yet?

keep up the good work! // torque87