GameEngine! With an editor

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
PaperCutDoom

GameEngine! With an editor

Post by PaperCutDoom »

Hey all! I'm just announcing the project that I've poured my heart and soul into for the past 6 months. I'm hoping to make it an easy to use, extensible, and complete game engine. I haven't thought of a name for it yet, so it's just called GameEngine for now. It uses a GameObject-Component architecture, so it's very similar to Unity. It uses Irrlicht for rendering, Bullet for physics, Spark for particles, IrrNetLight for networking, Lua for scripting, and irrKlang for sound.

Working Features:
- Rigid body physics
- Character controller physics
- Lua bindings
- Server-Client object transformation synchronization
- Game/level editor (Supports C++ code projects)
- Add functionality to empty GameObjects by adding Components.
- Easily create weapons using the WeaponComponent class
- Melee, Instant Hit, and Projectile weapons supported
- Easily create your own Component types

Planned Features:
- Ragdoll physics
- Deferred rendering
- Network lag compensation
- Smoother network error compensation
- Soft body physics

The editor builds your code for you. As soon as someone makes a native Android port for irrlicht, (rather than a native/Java hybrid) I'll make it build for Android too.

I work on this when I can. I just graduated from high school a month ago, which means I'm going to be starting my freshman year in college! I'm going to move out of my parents' house - I can't stand living with them any longer. This means that I'll be paying rent, which means I need to work on other things to make money.

The game engine still looks very ugly and old. I'd like to give it some cool deferred rendering and stuff, but I am by no means a graphics programmer of any kind. I suck at graphics. If anyone wants to help me out in that department, any help is welcome.

Shrink Force (Ludum Dare Game): http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=4069

The game engine: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17256312/GameEngineEditor.zip

Editor

Other game
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, the ones who understand binary and those who don't.
tinhtoitrangtay

Re: GameEngine! With an editor

Post by tinhtoitrangtay »

Thanks. It not bad but close source. Not yet now
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Looks good!
PaperCutDoom

Post by PaperCutDoom »

Thanks! A lot of things need tweaking though. It is good enough for the Ludum Dares I do though :P
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, the ones who understand binary and those who don't.
Gelu

Post by Gelu »

Good effort.

There are a few things that I want to mention:
- I recommend copying Blender's use of numpad keys for viewing the scene.
- mouse scroll and right click are not used when navigating the scene which is a waste imo
- I think you should replace the "Scene List" with a "Scenes" that is a tree-view multiple scenes and their objects nicely arranged in a hierarchy like this:

Code: Select all

->"SceneName":
   -> Cameras:
      -> "Main Camera"
   -> Lights:
     -> "Sun"
   ->...
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

feature list is nice. you should try to fid better resources for improve appearance of screenshot (skybox is not doing any perspective correction so that stars are stretched to cube faces.). there are lot of good models/textures/skyboxes around the web. A good screenshot can attract more users ;)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
PaperCutDoom

Post by PaperCutDoom »

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I definitely need to find some nicer artwork.