Dream Project Racer

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
eLidzer

Dream Project Racer

Post by eLidzer »

Hi!

I am working on a realistic and original racing game, since November 2011. To get the idea, the game will let you create coherent tracks, in an easy way : you can choose ground textures, surrounding sceneries, off-road zones, and more. It's already possible (but without any editor at this moment) in a sophisticated way (you can put a hill, a skyscraper, a light, a tree, and many more things, like you want). On the racing side, the car will have a realistic behavior ala Gran Turismo (an intelligent and deep gameplay, but not too :wink: ).

I can't give more details, because there still so much to implement (more customization, more cars, an editor, some sceneries), but 1°the core components (track creation, almost a normal car behavior, ...) are implemented and 2° I certainly will provide a simple but cool demo, with few cars and tracks to begin with.

Whatever the futures releases, I already have some screenshots, made with IrrLicht :) . IrrLicht is pretty new to me, but it's very clear I can create amazing scenes in a few lines. I don't expect much of Ogre (seems so atomic and so low-level). At least, I could optimize the scene in few times (some static meshes, a personnal skybox, sphere maps, ...).

EDIT : I am French, please excuse my presid... mistakes :o
EDIT2 : The presented track is very basic (repetitive scenery, no such point), but no editor = no ability to design something more appealing. :?

[Image

What do you think? Feedbacks or suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance. :D
hendu

Re: Dream Project Racer

Post by hendu »

Enable aniso for your terrain/road textures, no more blurriness :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Besides that, terrain etc. looks good already. Car is too small and roads are very edgy. What kind of physics will you use?
eLidzer

Post by eLidzer »

hendu wrote:Enable aniso for your terrain/road textures, no more blurriness :)
I'll take a look, thanks :)
hybrid wrote:Besides that, terrain etc. looks good already. Car is too small and roads are very edgy.
For the track scale, I agree, the roads are too large. But you will be able to modify that (already done for me). For the edgy aspect, I can upgrade this track the day I will have an editor (but it's more a test track, designed with a QCad demo :lol: ). The main thing I want to keep is a very fast FPS (> 200), because when I will include some other cars of effects... :o
hybrid wrote:What kind of physics will you use?
Concerning the physics, I have not definitely chosen mine, the only things I want first is a meaty gameplay. Once the engine chosen, I will need to define some invisible walls, to block the player be outside of the track, et caetera. IMHO it's faster for the CPU to trick smartly than to define plenty of physical rules!
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Uhm... so, you first want to implement the car physics and then the physics engine?
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

eLidzer wrote:IMHO it's faster for the CPU to trick smartly than to define plenty of physical rules!
I don't think we are talking about "physics".