We posted about Octodad 1 here on the irrlicht forums so I figured it was about time we began showing off some of our work on Octodad 2! We're still using irrlicht and it's serving us well.
If you happened to miss out on what the original Octodad
was you can see the trailer here:
You can also download the first game for FREE
We started Octodad 2 development back around May of 2011 and have been building up to production since then. There were a lot of bugs and problems with our old technology that we really didn't have the time to fix for the first game because we were trying to hit the IGF deadline for the Student Competition, but this time around we're all about polish/pzazz. We've been looking into making suspicion a much more integral part of the gameplay and also polishing the controls to a point where they still have their desired affect of being frustrating, but don't cause people to quit. We really want them to be something you can master.
More of a controlled chaos instead of just plain chaos is what we're really going for. We've also changed the look of the game to be a bit more cohesive while still trying to hold onto our zaniness. It's interesting because this is the first time we will have any sort of existing audience while creating a project. (No matter how small it may be.)
Here are some past articles that will get you up to speed (Chronological order down):Launched our Kickstarter for Octodad 2
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/07/11/kickstarter-and-all-things-young-horses/Let loose some of the early Octodad concept art
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/07/17/once-upon-an-octodad/Got an "Office"
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/08/01/what-indie-dreams-are-made-of/Bonus Octodad 1 Levels and Successful Kickstarter
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/08/10/kickstarter-campaign-successful-new-version-of-octodad-1-with-bonus-levels-and-the-future/Editor and Tech Fixes
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/09/03/we-can-rebuild-him-we-have-the-technology/Fan Art!
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/09/07/oh-the-places-youll-blub/Short Time Line of Octodad 1 Development
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/09/16/octodad-through-time/Mac Release for New Levels and Game
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/09/18/octodad-with-2-new-levels-v1-5-for-mac-released-with-os-x-lion-support/Fantastic Arcade Recap
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/09/30/fantastic-arcade-recap/Lead Designer of Octodad 2 Kevin Zuhn Made Another Game ISTBAR
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/10/19/i-seem-to-be-a-rock-2/Devon Paints
- http://www.octodadgame.com/2011/10/23/painting-miss-daisy/We Went to MineCon
I'll be back with some more updates, but feel free to ask any questions you might have!