The overambitious, doomed project - (screenshots on page2)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Silversky

Post by Silversky »

First of all to the artist guy: WOW u do write a lot, but when i was done reading i got repaid. your modeling is awesome.

back to topic: I am just now starting to read stuff about programming and games because i'd like to learn this stuff so i basically dont know anything. plz dont flame me, if my ideas are so far from possible that people start laughing after reading the first line.

I like the ai-created quest-system thingy: what i'd find interesting would be a system that finds parties of equal strength (like one with 5 lvl 10 chars and one with 2 lvl 8, one lvl 12, one lvl 9 and one lvl 13 or whatever). Once those two (three, four, five) parties are found it should create a quest, where those are opponents so you actually get to compete with real players. an example would be defending or conquering an artifact, shrine or whatever. or a race to find an important ingreediant for a potion. i dont like quests you can play just doing everything in your quest-log. wouldnt it be fun to find another party with your quest-item. others might find this frustrating, but i think this is what a mmorpg is for. it is not this linear playing through all levels kinda thing.

Second of all: I really love the roleplaying aspect you are planning. one thing i would do: i would (dont wanna say force) convince of behaving like their character should. i often see people playing high "priest-class" characters that never ever visit one monastry or church. in this case i'd for example limit their ability of increasing their skills and attributes for a level-up to the church. this way, they will visit a church for sure. this is a crappy example i know but you get the idea right? higher chars could maybe learn to build their own small altar on their journeys, so they can use their level-ups even far away from a town. but still: the realism aspect would be present.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE PUBLIC TELEPORTING. Do it like u said: very few high level chars. teleporting kills all the discovering aspect. you'd have to make the journeys fun, which i think could be accomplished by the ai-quest (maybe event)-system.

i'd offer my help, but most people around here would start laughing at me if they knew how few i can contribute to this project. i'd still like to be involved in the planning and game-design phase. let me know madnanos@hotmail.com .
GOOD LUCK

Post by Guest »

i wouldnt mind anyone kinda teaching me stuff. those tutorials are nice and all, but i guess i need the very basics first. i read this one opengl tutorial i found on the net. and it helped. i can see how it works. i still found it kinda hard to understand at first. and all it showed was how to make a cube spin around. the object-name and data were implemented in the c++ code. what if i want more objects?

ok this is not the point of this thread, i know. i'd still appreciate someone kinda telling me how to learn the basics without being confronted with pages of code the first day i try and do something. can u maybe just tell me how you started off programming? that would help. thank you
Silversky

Post by Silversky »

this is not important to the thread so if you are in a hurry: SKIP THIS POST.
-----------
i wouldnt mind anyone kinda teaching me stuff. those tutorials are nice and all, but i guess i need the very basics first. i read this one opengl tutorial i found on the net. and it helped. i can see how it works. i still found it kinda hard to understand at first. and all it showed was how to make a cube spin around. the object-name and data were implemented in the c++ code. what if i want more objects from files?

ok this is not the point of this thread, i know. i'd still appreciate someone kinda telling me how to learn the basics without being confronted with pages of code the first day i try and do something. can u maybe just tell me how you started off programming? that would help. thank you
-------------
kmh

Post by kmh »

Sorry guys, I was away rather suddenly for a couple of weeks, didn't manage to post a notice.
This project isn't dead yet, as I'm back now, and I'll start working on it from tomorrow onwards. If any of you are still around who wanted to participate, let me know ASAP, and I'll keep you posted about the next couple of steps planned and send you copies of the current sourcecodes.

Sorry for the massive delay, but it was kinda hard to find the internet in africa.

kmh

P.S. Just as a quick recap, the current situation:
I have a basic-mmorpg-framework written using the plib library. So the next couple of steps are:
- making the framework nicer / stable and probably rethink a couple of design-decisions
- porting it to irrlicht
So there's still plenty of opportunity for talented programmers to join our young, dynamic, idealistic, bla bla bla team. If you're interested, let me know.
-
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

A lot of talk but no work here, hope to see something good soon.
kmh

Post by kmh »

Got a couple of screenshots up of the current (deprechated) version.

The player (penguin will eventually be replaced :P) somewhere in the landscape. Yes I know, it's a little bit yellow and boring, but it's working.

This time the player is swimming. That black circle in the background are NPC entities, which are, as I said in an earlier post only capable of walking in circles ... so that's what they do :)

Finally another landscape shot. By the way, the chat system is working, too. Note the box and the text next to the penguin:

Well, I'll start from scratch for the actual game, but many things should be easily adaptable from this techdemo, especially entity handling and networking etc.
Well, same as last thing, I've started working on the "real" project now, if you're interested in joining, contact me (PM).

Cheers,
kmh

Post by Guest »

Nice screenshots. Did you create them using the Irrlicht TerrainMesh or with your own SceneNode ?

Post by Guest »

Hi! its me, gfxstyler :) the damn forum wont let me login because of some mysterious reason!

the screens look nice, but whats the fps which such a huge terrain?
kmh

Post by kmh »

Guest: This is not based on the TerrainMesh, I'm using a Scene Node I wrote myself for the library I used to be using (plib). Will have to start porting that bit soon.

gfxstyler: The FPS isn't too bad, actually. When there aren't any other entities on the screen, it's pretty smooth (don't have an FPS count installed, so I can't give you exact numbers). The terrain in the actual game could be made smaller, right now it takes me about 10 minutes to "fly" from one end to the other. Pretty big even for an mmorpg, I suppose. Especially when normal players will have to walk rather than fly :)

Well, right now I'm still trying to figure out some other irrlicht related issues (such as 3rd person camera), once I'm done there, I'll port my terrain to irrlicht. ... if no one else fancies doing it before then :wink:

Post by Guest »

Are you going to release the source for the terrain? Irrlicht terrain is very slow :(
kmh

Post by kmh »

As I said the terrain code still needs porting to irrlicht. If you want to port it, pm me and I give you the sourcecode. Otherwise, if people want it, I'll release the source once I got around to port it myself.