TANK@WAR

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Which game mode you want to see next?

Capture the Flag
62%
King of the Hill
17%
Last man standing
21%

Total votes: 42

RdR
Competition winner

Re: TANK@WAR

Post by RdR »

Virror wrote:Managed to log in now : D
No other players online, but i got to test it out for a bit : )

So, my thoughts so far:
Seems like i had to register again, no feedback last time that it failed, or that i was not registered when trying to log in. This time it worked perfect though.
Feeling is very nice, good sound and the tank "feels" very good.
Stone textures seems to be a bit stretched, just a minor thing though : p
We switched server #1 for a Windows server today, only having problems on the Linux servers somehow. (Buggy code I think :P )
The databases are still separate for each server that is why you had to register again. (Master/AuthServer is next on my TODO list)
Virror wrote: Water looks like crap for me for some reason : (
Are you running Direct X ? We removed the nice looking water for DirectX in the latest release because of a crash (bug already fixed for the next release)
Virror wrote: Is projectiles affected by gravity? Seems like they go in a straight line only, would add to the feel if they did not.
The projectiles are affected by gravity, if you look in first person and shoot far away you can see it better.
Still want to add some kind of trail effect so you can see it.
Virror wrote: Would love to test it with some players : D
Maybe we can arrange something if more people are interested on a certain time and date.

Thanks for the comment :D
Virror

Post by Virror »

Yes, running directX, explains why it did not look so got ; )
Tried to shoot very far but i would still hit where the crosshair was, that's why i thought they were not affected.
RdR
Competition winner

Post by RdR »

Virror wrote:Yes, running directX, explains why it did not look so got ; )
Tried to shoot very far but i would still hit where the crosshair was, that's why i thought they were not affected.
Also depends on which weapon you choose, every weapon has a different range and projectile speed.
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Hi, it looks cool. The GUI is good.
On Linux it ends on a seg fault.
On a side note the binary can be compiled to use the shared objects in the folder, instead of using a shell script to start the client. I will look how I did for a game I did about two years ago. By the way Irrlicht version is now is 1.7.2, was 1.5 when I left.
I might register in the next days to test these tanks as I tend to appreciate tanks a lot.
RdR
Competition winner

Post by RdR »

Katsankat wrote:Hi, it looks cool. The GUI is good.
On a side note the binary can be compiled to use the shared objects in the folder, instead of using a shell script to start the client. I will look how I did for a game I did about two years ago. By the way Irrlicht version is now is 1.7.2, was 1.5 when I left.
I might register in the next days to test these tanks as I tend to appreciate tanks a lot.
Thanks for the comment.
Yeah we still have to debug some more to find that memory leak :oops: (which is causing that segmentation fault). Fortunately it doesnt affect the game.
Hmm let me know if you found out how, would be better to only use the executable.
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Like you I have all SO in a folder. When compiling just tell the linker. The exe will find the SO. Here's the shell script i use to compile. Good part is in bold.

Code: Select all

echo "compiling ..."
# main.cpp GUIManager.cpp chatQue.cpp Map.cpp soundManager.cpp Player.cpp unitsManager.cpp Unit.cpp CCopter.cpp CRocket.cpp 
g++ -Wall -c *.cpp -I./irrklang/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include/irrlicht -Igamemonkey/include

echo "linking ..."
g++ *.o -o copterapache -Lgamemonkey/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L./irrklang -lGL -lXxf86vm -lXext -lX11 -lIrrlicht -lgm [b]irrklang/libIrrKlang.so[/b]

mv copterapache ../copterapache
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

awesomeness.
Downloading demo. (now I'll have something to do @ math class ;) )
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
polylux

Post by polylux »

Katsankat, do you happen to use a 64bit OS of Linux as well? I have just downloaded the latest version of the game and still no luck getting it to run. Still ends on

Starting vidmode fullscreen mode...
hdisplay: : 1920
vdisplay: : 1200
No doublebuffering available.
Fatal error, could not get visual. 
And then a segfault. Seems to be using the 32bit libs nicely according to ldd. I'd appreciate a x86_64 buildt though this would render irrKlang unusable as there's only a 32bit version of it.
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
RdR
Competition winner

Post by RdR »

polylux wrote:
Katsankat, do you happen to use a 64bit OS of Linux as well? I have just downloaded the latest version of the game and still no luck getting it to run. Still ends on

Starting vidmode fullscreen mode...
hdisplay: : 1920
vdisplay: : 1200
No doublebuffering available.
Fatal error, could not get visual. 
And then a segfault. Seems to be using the 32bit libs nicely according to ldd. I'd appreciate a x86_64 buildt though this would render irrKlang unusable as there's only a 32bit version of it.
Do you have the ia32-libs installed?
Will take a look if the next release can have a 64bit or x86_64 build for Linux as well.
polylux

Post by polylux »

Thanks RdR, that'd be great! :)
Investigating the issue (mainly just judging from the error msg), it seems to be unable to cope with the multilib (32bit) gl-related stuff. I have to state again that going x86_64 will disable irrKlang as they only provide 32bit libs. That's why I switched to cAudio for my projects.
I have an Ubuntu machine at work (though again 64bit system), maybe the problem is related to Arch Linux only. Will report back.
Erelas
Competition winner

Post by Erelas »

polylux wrote:Thanks RdR, that'd be great! :)
Investigating the issue (mainly just judging from the error msg), it seems to be unable to cope with the multilib (32bit) gl-related stuff. I have to state again that going x86_64 will disable irrKlang as they only provide 32bit libs. That's why I switched to cAudio for my projects.
I have an Ubuntu machine at work (though again 64bit system), maybe the problem is related to Arch Linux only. Will report back.
Thanks for the tip polylux! :)

We're looking into if we can easily transition over to cAudio, it shouldn't be that much of a task.
Seems like cAudio is the better choice, also license wise :D.
polylux

Post by polylux »

Erelas wrote:
polylux wrote:Thanks RdR, that'd be great! :)
Thanks for the tip polylux! :)

We're looking into if we can easily transition over to cAudio, it shouldn't be that much of a task.
Seems like cAudio is the better choice, also license wise :D.
Glad you like it. It's a great choice in every aspect.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

how about SFML for the audio?
it seems (according to what I compared it to be..) to be really good...
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

polylux im on 32bits. The game runs ok then when closing the program without playing, the error seen in the console.

I did not find how to compile cAudio on linux. It is using cmake and i did not get the dependencies trick.
On a side note the zip is called wildicv-cAudio-etc , wildicv was an irrlicht member if I remember correctly.

SFML sounds good, gonna look into it.

Back to tanks if you need scripting to be able to play single player, just let me know. Pretty simple just embed an interpreter and make a list of the functions you want to expose, then all the AI is managed inside scripts: no need to recompile the program. Works very well.
RdR
Competition winner

Post by RdR »

aaammmsterdddam wrote:how about SFML for the audio?
it seems (according to what I compared it to be..) to be really good...
I used SFML while ago to create a simple 2D game, which worked pretty nice. (Can't remember if it supported 3D as well?)
But I will compare cAudio versus SFML and see which one will the best for our game.
Katsankat wrote:polylux im on 32bits. The game runs ok then when closing the program without playing, the error seen in the console.

I did not find how to compile cAudio on linux. It is using cmake and i did not get the dependencies trick.
On a side note the zip is called wildicv-cAudio-etc , wildicv was an irrlicht member if I remember correctly.

SFML sounds good, gonna look into it.

Back to tanks if you need scripting to be able to play single player, just let me know. Pretty simple just embed an interpreter and make a list of the functions you want to expose, then all the AI is managed inside scripts: no need to recompile the program. Works very well.
Did not try cAudio yet, still need to cover alot of features and bug fixes first.
Gonna switch to Boost ASIO for networking as well, which will take a while :shock:
The 1.2 release is quite a bitch :lol:

Hmm not sure if we are ever going to create a single player, but we will create bots!
Any thoughts on that? Al tips & tricks are welcome :D