deepMesh3D - Irrlicht powered 3D Modeler

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
tmyke
Competition winner

Post by tmyke »

really good job Innesoft. :D
I am also impressed. :wink:
Strength and wisdom.
Admin of the http://www.irrlicht.fr and dad of N3xtD.
Sorry for my poor English.
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I'm already working on v1.1 so expect plenty of updates/fixes soon.

:D
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Yeah, indeed it looks very professional and have some useful features. What I was surprised was that when I loaded some of my test models (skinned .b3d), which irrlicht loads without problem, was really messed up. Didn`t played much with the demo. Will take a better look when have some time and will. :)
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

shadowslair wrote:Yeah, indeed it looks very professional and have some useful features. What I was surprised was that when I loaded some of my test models (skinned .b3d), which irrlicht loads without problem, was really messed up. Didn`t played much with the demo. Will take a better look when have some time and will. :)
Edit: It's probably a bone/weight transformation problem with certain exports. Will fix.

If you send me the models I'll get it fixed for the next version, also could you tell me what you used to export them?

Thanks
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Will there be a plugin and/or scripting system? That would be the best new feature.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@Innesoft: I`ve just made some simple skinned thingy: http://filebeam.com/2af1ae351a781f2775ebd2284989df47 . Exported via 3d max 9 and Blitz3dPipeline.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

3DModelerMan wrote:Will there be a plugin and/or scripting system? That would be the best new feature.
Yes, both plugins and scripting are planned for the near future. Certain features were held back from v1.0 until everything is stable.
@Innesoft: I`ve just made some simple skinned thingy: http://filebeam.com/2af1ae351a781f2775ebd2284989df47 . Exported via 3d max 9 and Blitz3dPipeline.
Thanks, checking now..

Update: a new build of v1.0 (220411) will be available later today with .STL import/export support and minor bug fixes. shadowslair's bug is being looked into, but not fixed yet.
Escen
Competition winner

Post by Escen »

Nice Tool!
When I import a DirectX(.x) model (containing 5600 vertices, exported from 3dMax) the optimization report tells me I have 170022 vertices.
After optimizing this mesh, like described in the user manual, it contains 5700 vertices, but a new .x export from DeepMesh creates a larger file again... this can't be right.
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

Escen wrote:Nice Tool!
When I import a DirectX(.x) model (containing 5600 vertices, exported from 3dMax) the optimization report tells my I have 170022 vertices.
After optimizing this mesh, like described in the user manual, it contains 5700 vertices, but a new .x export from DeepMesh creates a larger file again... this can't be right.
Is the file larger in bytes or vertices? If it's just larger in bytes, it's because the ascii .x export from deepMesh could be more verbose than 3dsMax. The optimization is more about reducing vertices and cleaning up unnecessary data in the model, rather than compressing the output file.

It shouldn't export more vertices than the optimized mesh, because the .x exporter doesn't unweld.

The problem is more likely to be the .x importer (which is based on the irrlicht one), and the export should be fine.

I'll investigate anyway, and all importers/exporters are being improved continually.
Escen
Competition winner

Post by Escen »

Is the file larger in bytes or vertices?
I mean larger in vertices.
The problem is more likely to be the .x importer (which is based on the irrlicht one), and the export should be fine.
You are right it's the importer. Thanks

Do you have plans for a deepMesh Forum?
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

Escen wrote:Do you have plans for a deepMesh Forum?
Yeah it looks like I'll need to set one up. Added to the todo list.
fmx

Post by fmx »

Very professional tool, congrats on getting it up and running :D

Can you provide more information about your deepMesh (.dpm) format, and why you decided to invent a new file format even though your program already supports many other types (collada, x, b3d, etc)?
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

fmx wrote:Very professional tool, congrats on getting it up and running :D

Can you provide more information about your deepMesh (.dpm) format, and why you decided to invent a new file format even though your program already supports many other types (collada, x, b3d, etc)?
The deepMesh .dpm format specs can be found here. I wanted a format that basically provides 1:1 exports, so what you see in the editor is exactly the same for the export, and the third-party exports have a varying amount of support with some working better than others.

I also wanted it to benefit from any optimizations done in the editor - for example, most of the model imports for irrlicht unweld the vertices, which slows your game down considerably. If you use the .dpm specs to write your own importer in your chosen language, it's going to be as efficient as possible, as it's designed to be parsed easily without unwelding, because all chunks (meshbuffer-->vertices-->triangles) are nested in the order you need them.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

The deepMesh .dpm format specs can be found here. I wanted a format that basically provides 1:1 exports, so what you see in the editor is exactly the same for the export, and the third-party exports have a varying amount of support with some working better than others.
:idea: I can see a new irrlicht mesh Loader...

Also this is a great tool, however the Animation system seems rather buggy, when I import a mesh all verts seem to be unwelded so that when I play a imported animation some vertices of the mesh are stretched all across the place while some remain stationary. This happens especially with .x and .ms3d formats.
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

Yep, working on some transformation bugs for some animated models, which should be sorted soon. I had a limited number of models to test with, and it seems to work fine if the imported bones start in an unrotated pose. :roll: