Particle Engine

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Should i develop this further? Any interessted at all?

Yes!
57%
No!
3%
Yes and will this be added to Irrlicht?
40%

Total votes: 104

sudi

Particle Engine

Post by sudi »

I was tired of the stupid particles irrlicht has to offer and i really didn't like the way the particle wasn't customiseable at all. So i wrote one that actually is. It supports 3 different particle drawers from stock. a billboard drawer, a trail drawer and a oriented drawer.
Unfortunatly i didn't have the time and effort to create all animators and emitters irrlicht provides. but it should be easy to adopt.

And Explosion showing all effects in action is provided in the CMain.h/cpp
Download
christianclavet wrote:Hi, @Sudi. I'll host your file on my web site if the link dies then this should help maintain the availability. I'll will try to follow your updates and update the link as it's change.

(From post with compiled example, assets and MSVC project, old source.)
http://www.clavet.org/files/download/Sudi_PARTICLES.zip 4.97Mb

(New updated source only)
http://www.clavet.org/files/download/Pa ... ne.tar.bz2 12Kb
These images are video links.
Image Image

Big screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by sudi on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Great, If i will need particle effects in my game, this will be very useful, tough I'm far from this stage right now :)
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow! Nice work Sudi! That explosion look really nice! I would really like to integrate something like this in IRB. How have you dealed with the parts that bounced off the floor?

I really like the way you load the animation from the image (a single image with all the frames tiled on it.) :D

EDIT:
I've made a MSVC Project for it (MSVC 2008 Express) here with a Win32 executable build upon Irrlicht 1.7.2 (all dependencies included in the archive so it compile out of the box)

I also took a little time, to fix some compiler warnings and position the camera inside the room.

If you want to check a windows version download this one:
http://www.clavet.org/files/download/Sudi_PARTICLES.zip 4,96Mb
Max_Eden

Post by Max_Eden »

Editor, dude! If you did it, everybody would like it.
E D I T O R, remember!
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

that looks awesome, it reminds me of tf2 :P thanks for this!
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

These explosions look great, nice work :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
cobra

Post by cobra »

Good work Sudi.

This was an excellent idea. :)
Josiah Hartzell
sudi

Post by sudi »

Updated the system a little bit with emitter regions so you don't have to recode a emitter if you just want to change the area of emitting. As well added Interfaces for all classes so it could be added to irrlicht with no hassle.
As well added some options to the trail particle drawer so it can be used for a lot of stuff.

Link is in the first post!
Last edited by sudi on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Sudi wrote:Updated the system a little bit with emitter regions so you don't have to recode a emitter if you just want to change the area of emitting. As well added Interfaces for all classes so it could be added to irrlicht with no hassle.
As well added some options to the trail particle drawer so it can be used for a lot of stuff.

Here the Download
I as well updated the link in the first post.
Great to see you haven't dropped development of this after first release, irrlicht needs a better particle system, but of course its not a top priority right now.

Keep working on it :wink:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Those explosions really look great, would be a nice addition to Irrlicht. Are you planning to add some proper (de)serialization and a clone method (or did I simply miss those?)? Those are the things I'm missing from the original particle system (and that's why I created my "AdvancesParticleSystem" (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=40509). I am using IrrEdit for as much as possible, so all my projectiles are in the scene files as templates and those templates are simply cloned when someone shoots, so it's (at least for me) important to have a clone method.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
seongnam

Post by seongnam »

Sudi wrote:Updated the system a little bit with emitter regions so you don't have to recode a emitter if you just want to change the area of emitting. As well added Interfaces for all classes so it could be added to irrlicht with no hassle.

Here the Download
I as well updated the link in the first post.
I have downloaded the file from the link and the "IParticleEmitter.h" in the Irrlicht directory conflicts with IRR 1.80 beta source because it already has the same file name.
then, my question is that :
is that an update of the original IRR header file or just your own...?
I am betting to second one... then I just need to change the header file name and class name to integrate it inside IRR 1.80 source directory...
________
THREESOME BLONDE
Last edited by seongnam on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seongnam

Post by seongnam »

It is working with only changing the Header file and class...
furthermore, changing some class names to eliminate "particle" name space which is nested in "scene" name space.

I may be in a little trouble to integrate your new version later by changing it.
________
Kitchen Measures
Last edited by seongnam on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sudi

Post by sudi »

i introduced the new namespace on purpose. first to not clash with the original classes and second bc a particle emitter/emitter region/drawer and particle has actually parent relationship to the particle engine and not the scene.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow! You added a new example in the demo! Nice Sudi!

It look like all of the vertices of the dwarf are used to initiate an explosion!

Is there a way it can follow the vertices while the mesh is moving? (I'm thinking about "The Mummy" sand effect here.. :D
Abraxas)

Re: Particle Engine

Post by Abraxas) »

If I understand the source correctly (and I'm an engineer not a programmer :/ ) after creating the pointers with "new" they get destroyed automatically by the system? no need to keep track of all the effects running?

I really like how well this is implemented into irr, which lacks a good particle system. I'm in the process of writing some middle level code which I'll release when I'm done.

Can I use this code in a commercial release?

Thanks.