SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hiker

SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Post by hiker »

Hi,

I just quickly wanted to announce that we have a first release candidate of SuperTuxkart 0.7 - the first version to use irrlicht:
For more details look at our web page at http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/, a few more screenshots at http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/sit ... &rcid=3917 or go directly to the 0.7 rc1 download page at https://sourceforge.net/projects/supert ... xKart/0.7/

Feedback as always welcome (and we would also welcome more developers :) )

Thanks a lot to the irrlicht team for supporting us with bug fixes and patches!

Cheers,
Joerg[/img]

[edit] Changed subject to reflect the actual release by now.
Last edited by hiker on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

So what engine did you use before you saw the light that is irrlicht? :lol: I'll be sure to check out the demo once I have time, the screenshot looks very promising though.
hiker

Post by hiker »

Lonesome Ducky wrote:So what engine did you use before you saw the light that is irrlicht? :lol: I'll be sure to check out the demo once I have time, the screenshot looks very promising though.
STK used plib before, but that's quite outdated, more or less unmaintained. Irrlicht replaced plib, sdl (and for physics debugging glut). Gameplay video is being produced right now :)

Cheers,
Joerg
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

looks nice! :D the characters are cute haha
fmx

Post by fmx »

Cool project, looks fun :)
Try adding some shadows in there if you can
Yoran
Site Admin

Post by Yoran »

Very good! Though running on windows I had the following remarks:
- sounds slows and speeds up
- the car turns really really slow -> turning circle of 20m :D
- you should not create files in roaming directory but local appdata

other then that very impressed

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I wasn't able to race so far, but I noticed that the program menu entry (i.e. windows one) does not have an icon. Moreover, some text was not fully rendered. Oh, and who did the German translation, this is pretty funny at some points.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

This is, in my opinion, the most professional and fun game I've seen on the forums. Thankfully I haven't experienced any of the problesm the others have
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Screenshots look great. I tried running it on Linux (with current svn 1.7 branch), but GUI causes still some troubles - it scrolled menues throughout, so it was hard to select something. For example in settings it scrolled all the time through tabs, although with some tricks it was possible to select sometimes.

I guess I give it a shot on Windows on the weekend.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
fritzgryphon

Post by fritzgryphon »

It's a pretty solid kart game. I found it really playable, even with just a keyboard.

It does seem a little hard, though. You can't overtake the AI drivers unless they hit a hazard or weapon. If -you- hit a hazard, you pretty much lose automatically. Turning-heavy tracks, like the colorful indoor playroom track, seem to be the worst. I couldn't figure out how to turn tightly without slowing down (no power-slide), though the AI seems unaffected. Mario Kart slowed the AI cars down if the player was losing, and it keeps the race interesting.

At the beginning of each race, I seem to be frozen on the spot for a few seconds, while everyone else races ahead. At first I thought it was like the Mariokart burnout mechanic, but it doesn't seem to matter when I press the gas, I always get frozen. This could be clarified.

The purpose of the cupcake weapon is ambiguous until you use it (and then when you do it's pretty cool). The other weapons are pretty self-explanatory.

It's unclear why running over a banana peel attaches dynamite to my car.

The characters and cars are visually appealing, though it's difficult to tell the performance characteristics of each car without trying it.

Overall it's really cute, has no learning curve, and is a great way to waste some time. And the music is awesome.

edit:
Most of the confusing stuff is explained in the controls menu (sharp turns, nitro, etc). But as I did, most people will just jump into the game without reading the help first :)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Ok, one part of the configuration problems I had (they were not visible - I didn't know there was more) was due to a recent svn change. That's at least fixed now. So if you don't get any configuration options for keyboard etc. on Linux and use svn release branch, then plz just updates svn once more and that will work again.

Not sure if the other problem with gui-elements cycling through is also a newly introduced problem or not...
hiker

Post by hiker »

Hi,

thanks all of you for your feedback. I'll try to add some comments in one mega posting:
fmx wrote:Try adding some shadows in there if you can
Atm the performance of STK is not that good (partly due to kart animations, which can be disabled in the GUI; partly because of the tracks not being too optimised). That's why I mentioned that we would welcome some people more experienced with irrlicht etc. But we hope that after the 0.7 release we will be able to add some performance optimisations, and see how much more eye candy we can add.
Yoran wrote: - sounds slows and speeds up
What frame rate do you get (press F12 in game will display this). Usually (since atm audio is not running in a separate thread) audio problems are most likely caused by the game being too slow. You can try to run with less karts, or perhaps the best option is to disable kart animations (in the options menu). Does this fix the audio problems?

Yoran wrote: - the car turns really really slow -> turning circle of 20m :D
Are you aware of the sharp-turn key (see help menu). We hope to get better skidding in soonish.
Yoran wrote: - you should not create files in roaming directory but local appdata
Now we kind of don't. We use $APPDATA, so this must include 'roaming' on your machine. Is there any other variable we can use (or test for) to find an appropriate location?

Looking at the picture I see some strange warning messages: ./data/gui/screen1610.png not found and couldn't find current skin. That's a bit strange - do you have any idea what might be happening? Did you change your skin? Do you see icons in the video option screens?

For the release we have to disable a few more warnings which are normal, so that warnings like the ones above are more obvious.
hybrid wrote:I wasn't able to race so far, but I noticed that the program menu entry (i.e. windows one) does not have an icon.
Good point, I have to check what happened.
Moreover, some text was not fully rendered.
The GP names I assume? That slipped through, no one noticed that *blush*
Oh, and who did the German translation, this is pretty funny at some points.
Glad that I am not the only one thinking this (I've been away from Germany for 10+ years, so my German is a bit rusty). Well, the translations are on launchpad, so I can only hope that someone improves the translations.
Lonesome Ducky wrote:This is, in my opinion, the most professional and fun game I've seen on the forums. Thankfully I haven't experienced any of the problesm the others have
Thanks a lot for that comment (though I wouldn't agree ... yet. We hope to become really really good by the time we hit 1.0 :) ). And I hope that we can solve the other issues as well.
CuteAlien wrote:Screenshots look great. I tried running it on Linux (with current svn 1.7 branch), but GUI causes still some troubles - it scrolled menues throughout, so it was hard to select something.
That's strange. Did you use the keyboard, or a gamepad? I would suspect that a gamepad kept on sending events, causing the GUI to keep on changing. If you have a gamepad plugged in, first try to pull it out, and/or disable the device in the gui settings. If this solves the problem, then it might be that the deadzone settings are too low. Could you try starting stk with ../supertuxkart --gamepad-debug? This will print the values received by stk. The default deadzone is set to 2000. So if you see many values larger than this, try changing the deadzone value: unfortunately (as I've just found out) this can't be done in a config file, so you would have to change DEADZONE_JOYSTICK in src/input/input.hpp and recompile.

I'll try to make this setting configurable for the 0.7 release.

fritzgryphon wrote:It does seem a little hard, though. You can't overtake the AI drivers unless they hit a hazard or weapon.
Yes, atm all karts are equal. But there are a few less obvious options: you can use slipstream (drive in slipstream with the slipstream effect showing), till some small nitro is shown. Then you will get a speed boost when you come out of slipstream. You can use nitro. Or a zipper on the track (e.g. in the math class look for some 'paper' on the floor :) ). Or my favourite: use a plunger (which will pull you forward, and the target kart backwards a bit).

We hope to make the karts all different in the future, so you can pick a kart that matches your driving style.

fritzgryphon wrote:If -you- hit a hazard, you pretty much lose automatically. Turning-heavy tracks, like the colorful indoor playroom track, seem to be the worst. I couldn't figure out how to turn tightly without slowing down (no power-slide), though the AI seems unaffected.
All karts should be equal, but I will certainly check that (for a while we had given the AI some advantages, since it was too bad). But we have improved the driving, and I think removed all 'cheating' for AI karts. ATM you have to use 'sharp turning' (see help menu), but yes, that will slow you down a bit. Or you can use a plunger - if you hit part of the track, you will be pulled towards it, that might help (though it's probably difficult). Better powersliding is hopefully to come in one of the next minor releases.

fritzgryphon wrote:Mario Kart slowed the AI cars down if the player was losing, and it keeps the race interesting.
Yes, we will try to add this, too. It's a bit difficult to tune (the original tuxkart did this, but not too good, so the best option to win was to stay behind till the last half of the last lap, and only then to overtake - otherwise the AI karts would get supersonic-mega-high speed shooting past you without any chance ;) ).
fritzgryphon wrote:At the beginning of each race, I seem to be frozen on the spot for a few seconds, while everyone else races ahead. At first I thought it was like the Mariokart burnout mechanic, but it doesn't seem to matter when I press the gas, I always get frozen. This could be clarified.
You should see a 'Penalty-time' message if you press 'accelerate' too early. We have decided to implement a startup boost non-Mario-Kart-style: you have to press accel very quickly after the 'go' (but not before). We have to wait how people like this. I think it better represents the tension before a race (while the MK style of pressing accel while 'set' is there feels a bit ... dull), is a bit risky - but if players don't like it, we might have to switch.
fritzgryphon wrote:The purpose of the cupcake weapon is ambiguous until you use it (and then when you do it's pretty cool). The other weapons are pretty self-explanatory
It's just the equivalent of a shell. Oh, are you aware that you can use most weapons backwards (look backwards and fire)?
fritzgryphon wrote:It's unclear why running over a banana peel attaches dynamite to my car.
Something randomly bad happens to you. Note if you have the dynamite and drive into another kart, the dynamite is passed on (and it can be passed back to you directly either).
fritzgryphon wrote: The characters and cars are visually appealing, though it's difficult to tell the performance characteristics of each car without trying it.
ATM all karts are equal. We will improve on this later, and then also display some kind of stats of all karts.

fritzgryphon wrote:Most of the confusing stuff is explained in the controls menu (sharp turns, nitro, etc). But as I did, most people will just jump into the game without reading the help first :)
That's is a good point, and I got this message generally from new players: it's easy to pick up, but you might miss a few things. We should add a small tutorial (perhaps as some small challenges) do explain all the small things that people might miss otherwise.

Again, thanks a lot to all your feeback - highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Joerg
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

hiker wrote:
CuteAlien wrote:Screenshots look great. I tried running it on Linux (with current svn 1.7 branch), but GUI causes still some troubles - it scrolled menues throughout, so it was hard to select something.
That's strange. Did you use the keyboard, or a gamepad? I would suspect that a gamepad kept on sending events, causing the GUI to keep on changing. If you have a gamepad plugged in, first try to pull it out, and/or disable the device in the gui settings. If this solves the problem, then it might be that the deadzone settings are too low. Could you try starting stk with ../supertuxkart --gamepad-debug? This will print the values received by stk. The default deadzone is set to 2000. So if you see many values larger than this, try changing the deadzone value: unfortunately (as I've just found out) this can't be done in a config file, so you would have to change DEADZONE_JOYSTICK in src/input/input.hpp and recompile.

I'll try to make this setting configurable for the 0.7 release.
Right, I comletely forgot about the gamepad (was somewhere behind my table, but plugged in). After plugging it out and then plugging in again it worked correct. I remember I had the same problem back when I wrote my own racer - gamepads and joysticks occassionally just delivering near random values on start. I couldn't figure that stuff out back then (and just disabled menu-control by gamepad, which then certainly got regularly criticized...).

Anyway - once I did that the game worked nice and was fun. One bug - after finishing a race (as last...) I run into one bug - clicking "restart" freezed the game. I had played the game with joypad and clicked restart with mouse - maybe that was the problem.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I played it some more and got the bug with freezing on replay a few more times. I think usually in challenge (and doesn't matter if clicked with mouse or joypad). Not always... maybe when I do that in the last race when there are several races.
hiker

Post by hiker »

CuteAlien wrote:I played it some more and got the bug with freezing on replay a few more times. I think usually in challenge (and doesn't matter if clicked with mouse or joypad). Not always... maybe when I do that in the last race when there are several races.
So far we have not been able to reproduce the problem :(

When exactly do you press restart? While the race is still happening (esc, then restart), or while the end animation is being shown?

What happens after you click restart? Nothing? Or does the track and start position appear, and then everything freezes?

Not sure if it's really helpful, but could you try running it in the debugger? Perhaps we are lucky and it's just hanging in a simple loop :)

Thanks!
Joerg