SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
mongoose7

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Post by mongoose7 »

Well, I don't agree. Once you get in front you have access to all the pickups.

Now I'm not very good at it, but if I can win the start, get some nitro to stay ahead, pick up some cakes or bowling balls then, if any one tries to pass, I bomb them out of the way.

But, if you are behind, I think there are enough ways to attack the leader. And really, it is just a cool kids game,, so I don't think we need serious weaponry. :shock:
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Thanks for comments.

The keyword is "win/loose the start".
Winner of the race is always depending on the start.
You win the start, you win the race. You loose the start, you loose the race.

Maybe new weapons may not be good solution for this problem, but maybe you have other ideas?

The game is really fun (I am playing it ~2h per day), but the start in the tournament is making me really, really sad,
especially when computer player throws me off a cliff :(
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

Yes, and when another car crashes into you and runs off the track, it pulls you with it, and then it speeds away. :lol:
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

The cake is a bit like the stupid missile you mention, it aims at the closest player (but admittedly is hard to avoid, although it's possible)

collisions between carts are also to be improved likely in 0.8
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

kazymjir wrote: Maybe new weapons may not be good solution for this problem, but maybe you have other ideas?

The game is really fun (I am playing it ~2h per day), but the start in the tournament is making me really, really sad,
especially when computer player throws me off a cliff :(
You have the code? What can you do?
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

I haven't coded in C++ for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Now I am working as web developer and must work with my music band on recording new songs, I have totally no time for anything other.
Really can't help, sorry.

I just wanted to give a few tips how to make game better (imo), I can try help at least by giving a few tips.
teto

Post by teto »

I have totally no time for anything other
The game is really fun (I am playing it ~2h per day)
You are free to do what you want with your time, playing it and giving feedback is a way of contributing.

As for me I remember having played older versions of the game, with very rigid karts, without camera inertia. This new version is very different (for the best) and I really took pleasure playing. Soundtracks are good (some very good). Fading on soundtrack change is really sweet. as for tracks/model/gui they are great too. this is really rare for an open source projet.

Some things that keep bugging me though:
- I play with joystick and systematically, even if I don't touch it, I get a 1 second penalty + sometimes my kart even goes backwards.
- On the "rainbow" defy (one of the very first). If I am first in the race and too far from the first cpu, I keep losing. Is that a feature or a bug ?
- In the track "toy room" (which I find a bit weird, trajectory speaking I can't find a proper way to get the 2 nitro in front of the starting line), after playing it 2 or 3 times in a row (I didn't check how to reproduce the bug but I might if you want), I noticed there was only one nitro in front of the starting race instead of two. Is that a bug or a feature ?
-As said someone previously, during transitions, half screen gets black
Does "aspiration" (French word, hope the English one is identical :p) play a role as far speed is concerned ? Is it a billboard you use to show it ?
I miss the supermariokart shortcuts where with some mushrooms, you can access a nice shortcut (I might not have found them yet, do they exist) ? Generally speaking, I find the acceleration bonus not effective enough.

Keep up with the good work. I look forward a realease without this joystick bug that gets me penalty.
Using trunk with mingw/gcc 4.6, Windows 7 64 bits driver opengl
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

You can edit the penalty time in the config file to 0, then you will always get a good start! No, the word is not "aspiration", but I don't know what you mean so I can't help. Do you mean the visible indication of slipstreaming, the litle clouds emanating from the Kart in front?
hiker

Post by hiker »

Hi,

Items are basically distributed depending on the position, so there should be a fair chance that things like the anchor will become available (though the AI currently doesn't aim for boxes, so playing split screen might help ;) ).
mongoose7 wrote:Well, I don't agree. Once you get in front you have access to all the pickups.
Agreed. Some tracks are especially bad in this - our own recommendation of not putting items in a row parallel to the track (instead of putting them in a row orthogonal to the track) is not fully implemented.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Post by hiker »

teto wrote: As for me I remember having played older versions of the game, with very rigid karts, without camera inertia. This new version is very different (for the best) and I really took pleasure playing. Soundtracks are good (some very good). Fading on soundtrack change is really sweet. as for tracks/model/gui they are great too. this is really rare for an open source projet.
Thanks!
Some things that keep bugging me though:
- I play with joystick and systematically, even if I don't touch it, I get a 1 second penalty + sometimes my kart even goes backwards.
You are the 2nd person commenting on this. Are you by chance using an analog stick for acceleration? Could you try using a button in this case? We might have to have a look at this usage pattern. ATM we have a dead zone of 2000 for joysticks, which sounds like plenty to me.

And if you are using a button, can you try starting STK with the option "--gamepad-visualisation"? This will print the status of the joystick controls. My suspicion is that one button is 'stuck', i.e. being reported constantly pressed. It could just be a driver issue.
- On the "rainbow" defy (one of the very first). If I am first in the race and too far from the first cpu, I keep losing. Is that a feature or a bug ?
I assume you are talking of the star track? I don't really understand this problem. So you finish first (and are reported being first in the rank display in the race), but then you lose?
- In the track "toy room" (which I find a bit weird, trajectory speaking I can't find a proper way to get the 2 nitro in front of the starting line), after playing it 2 or 3 times in a row (I didn't check how to reproduce the bug but I might if you want), I noticed there was only one nitro in front of the starting race instead of two. Is that a bug or a feature ?
Is it possible that one of the nitros was just collected, and then it will just turn up in a second or so? Otherwise it would be a bug ;) (and one I can't reproduce).
-As said someone previously, during transitions, half screen gets black
That's between the race of a GP?
Does "aspiration" (French word, hope the English one is identical :p) play a role as far speed is concerned ? Is it a billboard you use to show it ?
The slipstream effect? That's a 3d mesh.
I miss the supermariokart shortcuts where with some mushrooms, you can access a nice shortcut (I might not have found them yet, do they exist) ?
Some tracks have shortcuts (e.g. the city track "Shiny Suburbs"), but not all of them atm.
Generally speaking, I find the acceleration bonus not effective enough.
That's the 'zipper' bonus (the arrow like thing)? Or the nitro?
Keep up with the good work. I look forward a realease without this joystick bug that gets me penalty.
Thanks. I hope that perhaps you can help us with the joystick issues ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
teto

Post by teto »

I indeed use analogic stick for acceleration (Logitech Dual Action).
I assume you are talking of the star track? I don't really understand this problem. So you finish first (and are reported being first in the rank display in the race), but then you lose?
The problem is I lose before the end of the track because I am too far ahead (that's the impression I get)
Is it possible that one of the nitros was just collected, and then it will just turn up in a second or so? Otherwise it would be a bug (and one I can't reproduce).
The race had not started yet. I will try to reproduce this bug.

By "aspiration" I meant "slipstream" (sorry got lazy looking for the translation). This is fantastic I think.
Sorry for the shortcuts. I thought there were some but wanted to be sure.
I meant the zipper bonus is not effective enough (nitro works very well). It is only effective when your speed is close to 0.

As far as joystick is concerned, there is no driver problem. The analogic stick works fine with my irrlicht game. I might get a look at your code (I already have but not on that specific topic). I think it has to do with the initialization of the sticks since once the race has begun, I don't have any problem. It occurs just at the start. As I said, the kart even goes backwards.

Well seeing the evolution of your game, it really gave me a motivation boost for mine. There should be a sticky post with "finished" irrlicht game whose source code is available. It's interesting to see how others handle problems.
Using trunk with mingw/gcc 4.6, Windows 7 64 bits driver opengl
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

First of all, I must say that this is a really nice game :wink:
teto wrote:I indeed use analogic stick for acceleration (Logitech Dual Action).
The problem is I lose before the end of the track because I am too far ahead (that's the impression I get)
I also noticed this "problem", though I think it's because you should be following the leader, not going in front of him. That's what AI does too, right?
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
jorgerosa
Competition winner

Post by jorgerosa »

This game is really great, I just loved it! Thankyou for share!

I´ve added an youtube video with Super Tux Kart´s playability (v.0.7.2)
(In this case it´s running on Windows 7)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7k2LimTZM

Now, just some ideas... Since this game is targeted to kids, it fits 100% !!
How about create a "brother" project, with more realistic features?... (No powerups, no extras, etc...)
• I loved to play something like "KartSim" (I think that project is dead): http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39101
• And/or something like "Kart Racer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgImdZVygY

Since you have the main engine done... Shouldn´t be needed start from the scratch... I think!...
But like I´ve said, ideas are easy, developing it.... it´s another story... :wink:
Last edited by jorgerosa on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

jorgerosa,

thanks for the nice comments :) this is a nice video, but this video actually appears to feature STK 0.7.1, not 0.7.2

And regarding a mode with no powerups, that's exactly what our time trial mode is

teto, in follow the leader mode you should always be behind the leader, never overtake him. Regarding your input issues, maybe you could come over the STK forum so we can check, but most of the time such issues are found to be incorrectly calibrated gamepads and/or driver issues
jorgerosa
Competition winner

Post by jorgerosa »

...and..... you are right! I´ve downloaded "supertuxkart-0.7-win.exe" instead of "supertuxkart-0.7.2-win.exe" :(
np, I´ll download that too! Thanks again for so great game... and for the tip! :)