Minetest-c55

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
celeron55

Minetest-c55

Post by celeron55 »

Well, the project name is still just random but...

Let me represent "Project Minetest-c55":

It basically copycats Minecraft and InfiniMiner like hell, but I like to say it is /inspired/ from them. I am hoping it will evolve into it's own type of a game.

- The basic minecraft stuff: digging, placing blocks, crafting items and tools and other stuff and using them.
- Multiplayer over network
- Has a neat map generator and almost infinite height limit (same as the horizontal limits)
- A decently performing minecraft-like lighting engine.
- Thanks to Irrlicht, runs natively on Windows and Linux.

You can read more and get it here:
http://minetest.net/

EDIT 2010-12-31: Fixed link and changed image to a more recent one. Also, please see the site for an up-to-date feature list, as I won't be updating this message for that part.
EDIT 2010-04-06: Updated image
Last edited by celeron55 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

looks good so far. hehe beat the real minecraft?
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Awesome!

It runs roughly a million times faster than the actual Minecraft.
vinjn

Post by vinjn »

cool, man
I like the style~
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

YOMYGOSH :shock:

How is it possible to render so much cubes ? :D

I went very high and when I was looking down(sooooo many cubes down there :shock:), i've got 30fps,actually it was allways 30.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Minetest-c55 is an InfiniMiner/Minecraft inspired game intended for me to show my friends how funking superior I am at programming compared to them!
Made me rofl. :lol:

Nice. Actually, it looks like.. you know.. a real game! :D
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

I went to go to your server and it was kind of cool, tough what exactly is the point in this game? or is it just something like LEGO ? :D
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

serengeor wrote:I went to go to your server and it was kind of cool, tough what exactly is the point in this game? or is it just something like LEGO ? :D
I can tell you haven't played minecraft :)

just creating for the sake of creating. its fun.

btw, I played it and HOLYY CRAPP HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO RENDER SO MANY CUBES AT ONCE WITHOUT DROPPING BELOW 30FPS??? Minecraft uses a fog to prevent so many cubes from being drawn at once, this is just crazy. gfj bro this definitely has potential :D

Now start thinking about innovations and how you would move away from minecraft/infiniminer

EDIT:
nice lighting btw it looks awesome. Also, I built a small castle on your server on the water :P
Last edited by grumpymonkey on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

grumpymonkey wrote:btw, I played it and HOLYY CRAPP HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO RENDER SO MANY CUBES AT ONCE WITHOUT DROPPING BELOW 30FPS??? Minecraft uses a fog to prevent so many cubes from being drawn at once, this is just crazy. gfj bro this definitely has potential :D

Now start thinking about innovations and how you would move away from minecraft/infiniminer
My guesses:
  • Without starting a language flame war, C++ is generally twice as fast as Java, which Minecraft is written in. The advantage of Java is that it's multiplatform and can run in a browser.
  • I don't know if Minecraft uses hardware rendering. Utilizing your graphics card gives a crazy increase in performance (compare the software renderers to the DX and OGL ones).
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

I finally found out what the inside of a block looks like:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8748/screenshotpv.png

you should probably fix that
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Oh, thanks guys! Somebody just managed to crash my server. Seems like a tricky bug. It'll be up again at some point when I get this fixed.

And thanks for trying it out and for the replies - I like it that you like it!

EDIT: Actually, I will just put it up again as is, as I can't figure out a quick fix.
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

I played on a dedicated server and it's awesome :D
My house contains stairs also :p
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

You should really try to outdo Notch. WHATHUH WHOSAIDTHAT!
DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

Hey, this is a lot of fun, very much like minecraft! I spent some time (a couple of hours :P) playing with it, and thought I'd show you what I came up with!

The tower is as tall as is possible and it has an observation deck :P The coiling around the tower is the stairs!

Good work!
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I guess you're experiencing some bugs in the game. It should be possible to build a 31000 blocks tall tower. Restarting the game probably helps (the map is saved on disk).