FarPlane- space action rpg

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
jikbar

FarPlane- space action rpg

Post by jikbar »

hi everyone, im developping a space action rpg called FarPlane (has anyone already used that name?). basically, you can cruise around space visiting planets while doing quests, mini quests, gaining levels, finding treasures, etc.

since im only good at programming (and storyline) im recruiting people who can do either:
-art
-3d modelling
-animation
-sound
-music

so far i already have a basic storyline and an incomplete-pre-alpha-code-testing-StillLearningIrrlichtsFeatures-unreleased-demo running without any bugs

this is a freeware project and it very likely going to be long term (i dont have nearly as much free time to work on games as i did during summer). anyone interested just post here or email me (jikbar2000@yahoo.ca)

BTW: since i do all my internet stuff on my old Mac, i dont have MSN, only yahoo messanger!!!
Last edited by jikbar on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Ridd

Post by Mr_Ridd »

To get people to be interested, you will have to give a small demo of what you have, and if you are going anywhere with it. It's happened so may times where everybody gets all excited about a new game and then there is no actual hardcore game code to prove it's worth.

Just a a tip though.
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

thanks for the tip

im working on a demo right now but its coming along pretty slow since im still learning how to use Blender

inot sure when the demo's going to be released but it should be soon
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I'll consider letting you barrow some spaceship type models once I make a few. :P

I'm more proficent in modeling then programming and if you want to see my programming skills then check out my gui editor project GUICE it might help you learn through the source it might help you along without having to write all that GUI code.

either way you should check it out and I'll have some models for ya in a week or 2 I'm working on other projects atm as you can probably tell.

I'm also working on a space game and it might be worth asking arras for the code to fix the space flight controls like I did there is some bugs but I'm not sure if those were added to Irrlicht version 0.7

if you can get arras's space flight demo source...or the snippet he gave me it contains the fixes nessesary....that also contains a workable spaceship model...although I have noticed a small bug in his code that I'm not smart enough to fix but everything is a work in progress when it comes to coding.

if you happen to discover the way to attach a partical to a model I sure would like a headsup on that.
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

i may be able to do some 3d modeling :o

if u want
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

Good news! :D

im releasing the first demo of my game around the end of this month. so far ive got the space part finished, with an XML level loader, shooting and a basic ai system. ive got movement pretty much sorted out, and a lot of the "code structure" is finished- meaning that i could easily expand the game to add new enemies, ai, weapons, etc.

now, i need to finish-up the enemy AI (so they can shoot back) and add basic collision detection (which il optimize as i go along) so bullets can actually "hit" their target.

the next release should be able to load the surface of planets, have better artwork, a HUD and possibly some storyline.

Post by Guest »

FarPlane?
Sounds like Farscape or Far Cry
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

Farplane rather sounds like Dx/OpenGL term, but oh well.

Actually, you can hardly find a name that doesn't stand close to another name now. Simply to put, there were so many games that you nearly always bump into one... somehow. :?
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

jikbar you sure work fast. The only refernce to farplane i could find is in final fanasty X-2 where it is used as the name of an area in the game. The search was by no means exhaustive but it would appear the name has not been used before. Are you going to realease your code? Was thinking it would be useful to base a tutorial on.

Post by Guest »

esp. that level loader in XML...
i was thinking would be cool to come up with a standard or something...xml level loader...xml level files...
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

yes, i will be including the code with the release, use whatever portion of it you want

also, a standard XML level format would be pretty cool. very useful for porting stuff from a level editor to Irrlicht games. il gladly help in any way i can
jikbar

1rst release!!!!

Post by jikbar »

woohoo!!

im finished the first release of Farplane :D

apparently the hings i needed to finish werent that much so im finished a bit ahead of time. you can download it here:

http://buggygames.clawz.com/FarPlane.zip

or for screenshots:

http://buggygames.clawz.com/gallery.html

full source code is included.
Heres what the game has so far:
- 3 orbital drone guns that circle a planet, you can shoot at them and they can shoot at you
-hit points, stats , experience, levels, it's almost a true RPG!
-stat assignment
-explosion effects
-collision detection (meta triangle selector for objects, ray collision for bullets)

tell me what you think and/or how fast it runs, i got 200+ fps
arras

Post by arras »

does nothing, console vindow appear for short while and thats all. Doesn't your program need some dlls to run ...like Irrlicht.dll? Hich compiler you used and which wersion of Irrlicht engine?
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

hmm, weird

compiler with MSVC 6, need Irrlicht 0.7 and DirectX 8.

maybe the file is corrupt, my version of ZipIt is getting old and may not be working well :?

il look into it, i have a lot of spare time today...

EDIT: yep, it seems the file is corrupt, il download some other Zip program, recompress it, and update my site
Last edited by jikbar on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

Fixed.

i rezipped the file with MacZip, unzipped it, then compared it wit the original. Its an exact match. I also checked the textures to make sure they werent corrupt and they arent, so the new version should work (of course, with computers, "should" is the closest you can get to "will")