My first game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Laptev

My first game

Post by Laptev »

Hi everyone, lately I've been working on a game engine similar (as ideeea ) with the one used n the game gothic.

Demo: download
Screenshot:
http://img840.imageshack.us/i/scrp.jpg/
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/scr2jh.jpg/

Controls:
movement: W A S D
jump: W+SPACE
draw weapon: E
attack1: Click+A
attack2: Click+D
block: Click+S
use:Click+W
select dialogue: ENTER
toggle inventory: TAB
with the inventory opened: 1,2,3,4,5 to create a quick link
with the inventory closed: 1,2,3,4,5 to use the quicklink

I hope you like it.
Waiting for opinions, suggestions and bug reports :)
cobra

Post by cobra »

It looks very nice! Good job. I'll play it later. :)
Josiah Hartzell
fritzgryphon

Post by fritzgryphon »

That's pretty awesome for a first try.

Some notes from first impression.

-A key and mouse click combo for each action seems hard to use, especially for attacking and blocking, which are the same buttons for turning! How about the more conventional method of LMB for attack, RMB to block and just space to jump?

-The game seems really hard, but that's probably just due to above.

-Are turning keys needed at all when the player will definitely have a mouse?

-Attacking or blocking could automatically raise your weapon/fists. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't attack for a while.

-Strafing/running sideways would be a nice feature.

-Sometimes my guy can punch fast, but after a while he punches much more slowly. Is this a feature?

-The first guy attacks me before I can figure out how to read the scroll on the floor.

The movement and animation works well, the combat mechanics seems sound and the camera is even adequate. I look forward to what you do with it.
Laptev

Post by Laptev »

Thanx fritzgryphon.
Well... I used the combos with LMB and A/D keys because different attacks are much faster than hitting only with LMB+A or only LMB+D.
For blocking I think you are right RMB would be better.
I will defenetly add strafing.
The NPCs doesn't fight the same way. The first guard should fight like this: ATTACK, BLOCK, ATTACK, ATTACK, WAIT, ATTACK, WAIT
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

*sigh* rapidshare -.-
I understand that they would make you pay to upload, but to download? Thats like they're profiting off your work.

aside to that the game was good. No sound but the engine movement collisions and everything was good, graphics weren't bad the lighting made them look way better.

The controls were really annoying though, and it wasnt always clear where you had to go and you didn't really have to kill anyone cause you could just run away.

I didn't finish the game cause I died like 20 times and gave up, it was a good time killer :D
Laptev

Post by Laptev »

You can't really finish it because it is more like a test for the engine no storyline no name no finish movie :)

You should try killing Gheorghe(zombie) take his pickaxe and go for Ion with it after that at the first floor Kill Marius and in one small room that Marius guards is a Heavy Sword with it everything is very easy.
As for the combat just hold down LMB and use A or D to attack. You can attack faster is you use A, D, A, D rather than A, A, A or D, D, D .
To use different scene entityes hold down LMB and press W key(items, torches, writings, and NPCs but they just have a stadard dialogue included).

MegaUpload link: download
RespectIsEverything

Re: My first game

Post by RespectIsEverything »

If there was horses,it would be like Mount & Blade.Keep up the good work.